General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1984.....Cast your mind back.........

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 8 Oct 2004 11:11

memories memories

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 8 Oct 2004 11:11

This weekend is the first time Wales and England have clashed in a football World Cup qualifier for 20 years. And the world is a very different place to what it was in 1984. Back then a pint in the pub cost just 66p, compared to today's average of around £2. A packet of cigarettes then cost £1.25 - these days you'd be £4.85 out of pocket. In the past few years house prices have rocketed, shooting the average cost of a house up to £162,000. Back in 1984 it was £33,000. The big box office films at the time were Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom, Ghostbusters and The Terminator. And as for telly, kids were watching Johnny Ball - now you can hear his daughter Zoe on the radio. Pushing the boundaries of comedy were Smith and Jones - now we have Ricky Gervais. And the top sitcoms today are My Family, Phoenix Nights The Office and Friends. In 1984 we were glued to Hi Di Hi, and we saw the debuts of Miami Vice and The Cosby Show. University Challenge has started pitting contestants from different professions against each other but back then, the most famous contestants were... The Young Ones - from Scumbag College. In music, Prince released Purple Rain, Frankie said: "Relax", Madonna sang Like A Virgin and Black Lace did The Conga. The top chart stars of the day got together to raise £8m for the famine in Ethopia by releasing the Band Aid single Do They Know It's Christmas? Torvill and Dean became national heros after ice dancing their way to Gold medals in the Sarajevo Winter Olympics. The biggest stories of the year were the Miners' Strike, the IRA's Brighton bombing of the entire Tory Cabinet and the fatal shooting of WPc Yvonne Fletcher outside the under-siege Libyan Embassy in London. Prince Harry - and Avril Lavigne - were born, and comedian Tommy Cooper died on stage. Also facing their final curtain in 1984 were Eric Morecambe, Marvyn Gaye, Welsh actor Richard Burton, the halfpenny coin and the £1 note.

Fairy

Fairy Report 8 Oct 2004 11:15

Do you mean 1984? Jo.

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 8 Oct 2004 11:22

Yeah rotflmao

Aileen

Aileen Report 8 Oct 2004 11:23

I was only 27! :o((

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 8 Oct 2004 11:23

I was 18 !

BrianW

BrianW Report 8 Oct 2004 11:48

I thought the thread was going to be about how we are now living under the circumstances (Thought Police (political correctness); doublespeak (spin); eradication of history and heritage (House of Lords reform, foxhunting); and everything else that George Orwell predicted so accurately, other than he got the date 13 years too early!

Lisa

Lisa Report 8 Oct 2004 11:51

1984 i lived in warsash hampshire near locksheath,with my parents who owned the silver fern public house.aged 13.spotty ,skinny,no boyfriend.not a great era for me.just great music.LOLxxxxxxxx(:

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 8 Oct 2004 13:02

I was 10 turning 11 at the end of the year. I remember writing all the words to Madonna's "Like a Virgin" so I could learn them but would just hum the word Virgin as I didn't know what it meant really and thought it was a bit naughty!

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 8 Oct 2004 13:40

i wasnt born!!!! lol

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 8 Oct 2004 15:26

i was 14 and in love with John Taylor

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 8 Oct 2004 15:27

and a size 8

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 8 Oct 2004 15:28

My daughter was 2yrs, and it was a lovely time,wish I could turn the clock back,many times!.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Oct 2004 15:50

Lisa, I love Warsash, whereabouts id the Silver Fern? My Mum used to like going there as a treat for crab sandwiches, I think somewhere near the water. Ann Glos

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust***

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust*** Report 8 Oct 2004 15:55

1984 they were good the 80s, my hubby was about to do a second tour in the falklands, we were 20 , and a year later met each other.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 8 Oct 2004 16:15

Afternoon Linda, doesn't that seem a long while ago?. remember seeing the miners strike on the news at that time!.

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Oct 2004 16:47

Blimey Steedie, now I really feel old!! Remember 1984 very well, I was 20 and we got married. And still married .... !! Mandy :)

Kate

Kate Report 8 Oct 2004 17:01

Sept 27th 1984 my first child was born, I weighed less than I do now BEFORE he was born (boo-hoo), my hair was all one colour (!!!) and I hadn't yet endured two stroppy teenagers!! But I wouldn't change 1984 for the world.

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust***

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust*** Report 8 Oct 2004 17:10

oh my god kate i remember now i was i size 8 and didnt have to color my hair and yes i didnt know either the joys of having teenagers. thats wot was good about the 80s , no worries lol.

Speedy

Speedy Report 8 Oct 2004 17:40

1984 is the year my middle son was born, blue eyed and blond hair now 20 years on he still has blue eyes but two tone hair black at the sides and red in the middle, a blushing skunk!!!! any one from Exeter will now know who I am or at least who I'm on about... :))) Bev