General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Over 70's

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 15 Mar 2020 11:56

So the papers are saying that over 70's are going to be made to stay at home.

Better safe than sorry I suppose.

Not too sure how we will be able to cope but I suppose we will have to.

How will the rest of you 70+ cope.

Barbra

Barbra Report 15 Mar 2020 13:13

Interesting to read other Threads were people are stocked up in freezers basements .We are both over 70 my husband has Emphysema he smoked when he was younger so will have to look after him I have got supplies for two weeks cupboard dry goods freezer fish .meat ..normal shopping .to be honest we have local shops that deliver just hope as with every one else common sense is used ? will do a bit of gardening computer .reading .try & be normal but my worry is my little dogs hope people don't buy stupid amounts of pet food .will have to plod on keep positive that's me not clever but at our age that's all we can do Take Care All

Dermot

Dermot Report 15 Mar 2020 13:22

"Don't tell them your age, Pike!" :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Mar 2020 13:25

A friend who lives in London said her new neighbours have put a note through the door, to let her and her partner know they can rely on them for shopping.
This brought a lump to my friends throat but made her realise that people think of her as 'elderly'!

My friend is well into her 70's, but is a self-employed gardener, where she focuses on those who she calls the 'elderly' - to ensure their gardens look nice, they're not too lonely, and as a 'sideline' gets their shopping.

Just proves you're as old as you feel! :-D :-D

She's in a much better physical state than her 'toy boy' partner - 10 years younger, who, until last year, was a scaffolder, but had to give up work due to aneurysms in his legs.

One of my brothers (71 this year) has spent the past 5 years converting/totally renovating - starting with putting a roof on - an old 'smithy' into a habitable studio/flat. He's a potter, so the work is done between commissions and exhibitions. He's not finished yet - he has his kiln and wheel in there, a fireplace, an office, and half the mezanine floor built - but he likes perfection, and is using recycled materials.

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 15 Mar 2020 13:37

My husband has COPD, diabetus and parkinsons disease as well as heart problems so it is a worry for us.

I know we will cope.

I am mid seventies and until now havnt considered my self old.lol.
:-)

Barbra

Barbra Report 15 Mar 2020 13:37

I always thought 50 was old but you get past that now to me over 80.90 is elderly but we are living longer so we are indestructible more energy than some young uns & wait for it very knowledgable :-D :-D

Barbra

Barbra Report 15 Mar 2020 13:39

Ann sorry to here about your OH Take Care :-)

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 15 Mar 2020 13:51

Thank you Barbra.

He copes really well most of the time and will be 80 in May.

We were going to have a smallish afternoon tea at home with all our relatives to celebrate but now dont think that will happen sadly.

We will have to wait and see.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Mar 2020 14:11

Yes you need to look after him, make sure visitors don't bring the virus into the house it is very infectious. I am 79 and my OH is 81 I have never felt old until all this talk about 'The Elderly'. I have made a list of jobs that need doing so OH won't be too bored, he is going to miss his sport on TV. As long as the weather is OK he will enjoy doing the garden as he spends a lot of time doing that anyway. I will be reading, making cards, gardening, maybe get back to my scrapbooking, taking photos around the garden, keeping in touch with people on line and by post (Have stamps somebody will post for me). It will be hard, it will be unnatural but I am sure we will cope. Could be there will be a few divorces post all this though. :-D

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 15 Mar 2020 14:21

AnninGlos, I will take as much care as I can of him.

The up side of this forced isolation is I will be able hopefully to sort out lots of things that I have been putting off. Like sorting out all my photos that I have been meaning to do for the last 10 years lol.

Take care and look after yourselves. x

Sharron

Sharron Report 15 Mar 2020 15:09

Nah,nah,ne nah,nah!

I'm still allowed out!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Mar 2020 15:40

So am I!

Just realised, the younger of my 2 brothers is 70 this year.
He drives a minibus for the elderly (there's an oxymoron - no it's not my name for him - yet!) - taking them from the New Forest to supermarkets etc.
I presume these buses won't be allowed to run - leaving lots of elderly people stranded in the Forest, and giving my poor brother more time to build fully working ship models, full sized motorbikes - or driving around on his Moto Guzzi!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Mar 2020 17:21

Maybe the three of us should offer to do everyone else’s shopping ;-)

They always mention the elderly, so now we know that is 70. But what are the underlying health issues? What are they going to include? Some people, as said on here, have definite problems but will they widen that to those of us that have milder problems. I have mild asthma and take a low dose of BP pills.

Sharron

Sharron Report 15 Mar 2020 17:30

i am just going to go and stand outside their windows and stick my tongue out!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Mar 2020 17:33

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Mar 2020 17:36

Sharron

I was thinking of asking you to start a cooking tips thread. Where one could post about the old can found in the back of a cupboard and you giving us a gourmet(Sharron style) recipe. ;-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 15 Mar 2020 17:45

That's easy.

Open your can,see what's in it and chuck anything else you have in with it.

Warm it up.

Lovely pea soup is two cans of garden peas, spoonful of mint jelly or mint sauce and a couple of green Oxo's.

Put it through the wibbiygizzer and warm it up.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 15 Mar 2020 19:24

looks like those bones that are in the freezer~(leftovers from meals, and intended for my daughters dogs, might end up in a slow cooker!!!)

and the toppers and crusts of bread will become bread pudding!!

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 16 Mar 2020 02:32

I am concerned about possibly being stuck at home for 4 months! As many of you know I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. I take meds for bp and depression painkillers and have osteoarthritis and mild asthma. I don't get out much as it is but having to put up with my partner non stop is not a happy thought! He is only 66 so could go out but he has type 2 diabetes so is susceptible to the infection. With his memory problems and poor mobility he is a nightmare to live with. He is currently turning the house even more upside down than usual looking for the key to his Kia. He mislaid one key months ago and since Friday can't find the other key. He has been talking about getting a replacement key for months but now can't get to the showroom to get one! He keeps taking my car so if I want to go out I am stuck!

We don't have many neighbours to help, most are the same age as us so my poor son will have the hassle of helping us. His sons are miles away, to be seen once in a green moon (that's much less often than a blue moon lol)

I hope all on here can stay well and avoid contracting this horrible illness

Take care

Lizxx

Allan

Allan Report 16 Mar 2020 02:58

I can't remember where I read it, but there was an article saying that one country, I don't think that it was the UK, is giving serious consideration to refusing medical help for persons over the age of eighty who may contract the illness :-S

Being the cynic that I am I can see two 'benefits' to such an action, or inaction, scarce medical resources will go further and the overall pension payments will decrease over time :-0