General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How many cousins do you have?

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 14 Apr 2004 16:21

I have quite a few!

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 14 Apr 2004 16:24

My husband's remaining aunt died this morning leaving one daughter. She is my husband's only cousin. This set me thinking.... My father was from a family of 13 children and my mother from a family of 4. Most of these aunts and uncles produced several children, consequently I have more than 3 dozen cousins. (I didn't know some of them existed until I started this!!) How many do you have?

Lianne

Lianne Report 14 Apr 2004 16:28

Having read this thread, i have done a quick tot up - just out of curiousity. I think I have 15 cousins - my partner only has about 3 i think its funny how widely this number can vary don't you think? lianne

Lindsey

Lindsey Report 14 Apr 2004 16:32

I have 5 cousins but my mum has at least 26 and tahts all on her mums side. She doesnt even know her father so lord only knows how many she might have if you include his side. It is bizarre how widely it varies. I think some of it is to do with the generation - people seemed to have more cousins in the past because people tended to have more children then. Lindsey

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Apr 2004 16:41

Just did a quick count up and I have 18 x 1st cousins on my Dad's side alone - haven't counted up on Mum's side. Am pretty sure it's about 30 all told - and I've met about 8 of them lol

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 14 Apr 2004 16:45

I have no cousins :0( Both parents only children.

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 14 Apr 2004 16:47

Naomi - how sad, I will share a few.

Janice

Janice Report 14 Apr 2004 16:51

I only have three: my Dad's sister's children. Mum is an only child. Janice

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Apr 2004 16:55

Just realised I was being a bit daft,my Mum was an only child too (well, she had a sister but she died as a child), so the cousins on her side are second cousins. So I have 18 first cousins only (!) on Dad's side

Julie

Julie Report 14 Apr 2004 16:56

i did a quick count i have 23 on my mums side and 2 on my dads

Darren white

Darren white Report 14 Apr 2004 16:57

I've only got 4...two in this country and two in New South Wales, Aus.

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 14 Apr 2004 16:58

Paul, Easy mistake to make. Now if we are talking 2nd cousins...... too many to count, though I do have a note of most of the names!

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Apr 2004 17:02

yes.. too many to count here too...

Jane

Jane Report 14 Apr 2004 17:10

Sorry to say no first cousins at all. Often wished I had some. Jane

Rick

Rick Report 14 Apr 2004 17:15

First cousins- 16 on dad's side, none on mum's side. Started to count first cousins once removed once but got to 50 & realised it was getting silly ! No idea on 2nd cousins - far too many to count. Rick.

JackyJ1593

JackyJ1593 Report 14 Apr 2004 17:15

First cousins - on Mother's side 34. On Father's .... 1. Guess which side come from Ireland and guess which side I can't get info on!! Jacky :-)

Natalie

Natalie Report 14 Apr 2004 17:43

I have 14 cousins and 2 2nd cousins. I really only know 2 of my cousins quite well.

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 14 Apr 2004 18:15

2 on dads side and 15 on mums....but as mums brother married dads sister and had 4 kids do I count them twice??????

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 14 Apr 2004 18:19

Thanks Elisabeth. Probably why I find this hobby so fascinating. Trying to find family. I have a number of 2nd cousins (My Mum and Dad's cousins?) but even so I don't know all of them, never even met some! Only 2 in contact with. And this means I have no Aunts or Uncles either.

Trish

Trish Report 14 Apr 2004 19:02

I have 10 but only in contact with one of them and he lives in America so thank goodness for e-mails.