General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FOR EVERYONE'S ATTENTION. IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen1959

Helen1959 Report 20 Jul 2004 15:49

PLEASE CHECK YOUR CONTACTS AS THERE ARE LOTS OF US WITH JOHN HENRY THORNWAITE APPEARING AS LINKS IN THE CONTACTS. THERE ARE CURRENTLY 3 OTHER THREADS CONNECTED TO TO HIM APPEARING: I HAVE ASKED GR TO DELETE "JOHN HENRY THORNTHWAITE" GENES HAS DONE IT AGAIN!! HANDS UP WHO'S DISCOVERED JOHN HENRY THORNTHWAITE IN THEIR CONTACTS DELETING CONTACTS. CAN EVERYBODY PLEASE E-MAIL GR AND ASK THEM TO GET RID OF HIM PLEASE.

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 20 Jul 2004 15:50

Would love to, but dont know under which heading it comes - Abuse? please let me know Jacqui

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Jul 2004 15:53

Helen, there are already at least two threads on this subject, do we really need another one ?

Helen1959

Helen1959 Report 20 Jul 2004 16:00

Hi Paul, I put this one on because some people don't always check their contacts( I know I never used to until recently) and some people don't always read every single topic on the General board. Sorry if I caused offence. Hope everything is ok with you and your family. Regards Helen Jackie, i sent it via abuse as that was the one I thought would probably get their attention and thinking about it it is a form of abuse.

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Jul 2004 16:23

no of course it didn't cause offence, I just thought it slightly overkill to have so many threads about the same subject... after all, it would seem this is probably just a glitch, something similar happened once before and GR sorted it fairly quickly

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Jul 2004 17:38

Glad you did Helen. I saw a thread about this bloke and ignored it. Today I went to my contacts page - and there he was! So I've deleted him. Thanks.

June

June Report 20 Jul 2004 17:44

He was in my contacts too, but he isn't now, I have completely cleared my contacts list, after all if anyone wants to contact me, they can I am around often enough!

JackyJ1593

JackyJ1593 Report 20 Jul 2004 17:51

I have just had a look at my contacts and found this name as a link with 7 names - some of which have been on my list for some time. The name was not there the last time I checked my contacts. It is not on all contacts. Has anyone found an explanation yet? Jacky :~

Janet

Janet Report 20 Jul 2004 18:03

I too have him in about 6/7 of my contacts that weren't there the last time I looked (couple of days ago). some of mine go back to January 2003. Janet

syljo

syljo Report 20 Jul 2004 18:07

Yes, this man's name has now joined my contacts - 17th March - an old contact. He is not doing me any harm. He can stay if he likes.

Debbie

Debbie Report 20 Jul 2004 20:45

Dont panic eveyone, this happened a while back and everyone thought it was a virus. It is only a glitch on the system and nothing to worry about. GC did explain about it then but I cant remember the reason.

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 20 Jul 2004 20:52

Hi I have one message that contains John Henry Thornthwaite but is was way back in May So now I have looked to see if this person is in any ones family tree. There are two entries for Jonh Henry Thornthwaite bt 1852 in Bassenthwaite Cumbria So I checked these entries and sent an e-mail to each of them One was to a Christopher Howarth and the other to a James Land . I'm not sure if either of these have anything to do with what has been happening but who knows Bren

David

David Report 20 Jul 2004 21:07

I've got him to don't know were he came from but i know he's going in a sec David

Joy

Joy Report 20 Jul 2004 21:28

It sems to me a serious "glitch" for it to be affecting so many people in their "Your Contacts". Joy

Frances in Norwich

Frances in Norwich Report 20 Jul 2004 21:30

I have just found 10 names added to my contacts, since yesterday! Have deleted them all - sorry if I have caused offence to anyone. Frances

Joy

Joy Report 20 Jul 2004 21:57

Oh well, only about another 10 months and then I'll no longer be a GC. I'll miss you all though. Joy

Frances in Norwich

Frances in Norwich Report 20 Jul 2004 22:00

I have e.mailed gc, and asked for an explanation (along with the rest of you) - will wait for a reply!!

Crista

Crista Report 20 Jul 2004 22:01

I'm sure there's no conspiracy going on here. I'm sure it's some kind of software error. Let's see if we can work out a pattern and help GC solve this. I looked at My Contacts and noticed that JHT appears when I have initiated the contact after finding a name of interest in their tree. His name does not appear when I've contacted people by clicking on their name in a thread or message. I seems to have happened between Feb 24 and June 24th. Anyone else see this pattern? Crista

Flossie

Flossie Report 20 Jul 2004 22:02

Crista, I agree with you. Only if I have contacted or been contacted to do with a name on a tree

Joy

Joy Report 20 Jul 2004 22:09

I believe that some people sent messages to the site administrators this morning. This is a fee-paying site, which is why it is somewhat amazing that there has not yet been a single response, though I am sure there will be by the time I get home from work tomorrow. Joy