General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birthday Blues

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 5 Sep 2004 18:31

See below

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 5 Sep 2004 18:31

I know this will cause argument but someone has to say it. Whilst I know they are made with the best intention all the “happy birthday” and “happy anniversary “ threads are totally meaningless to outside viewers and are stagnating the board . If we all posted all anniversaries then the site will become irrelevant. Sorry to be controversial but it has to be said. Bob

Joy

Joy Report 5 Sep 2004 18:32

Once I started a thread saying happy birthday and happy anniversary to anyone I missed, because by the time I see the threads sometimes the date has been and gone! (No one replied) Joy

badger

badger Report 5 Sep 2004 18:41

I can see where you are coming from Bob,but when i reply to either ,it is to people i have come to know ,and friends as well ,and the good wishes are meant .,but i do agree that to send good wishes to a stranger is a bit meaningless if thats what you mean.Fred.ptfg.

Nanna Gaynor  (June nr Preston's Daughter)

Nanna Gaynor (June nr Preston's Daughter) Report 5 Sep 2004 18:44

Oh dear someone must have been bored today! It's only an inch of space on a computer screen..... hardly the end of the world, but if it makes you happy to have a moan at other peoples good intentions - go ahead. Perhaps we should leave the board for more important topics ...... take a look at the various entries ! p.s. I am biased of course, June is my Mum and I know she puts alot of time into this and remember most of them are done by request. HAPPY BIRTHDAY / ANNIVERSARY TO ANYONE OUT THERE WHO'S DAY IT IS TODAY !!!!! ;-P

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Sep 2004 18:47

I am disappointed to see this thread. Our dear friend June puts up birthdays and anniversaries out of the kindness of her heart and I think it is therefore really rude to complain about what she's doing. Like Fred, I only add a message to people I know or have come across in my time on GR. When it was my 20th wedding anniversary recently, it was so lovely to print off the list of messages from GR friends. And if you don't like these threads, the titles are clear enough so don't bother looking at them. This is a General board for topics of ANY kind. JUNE - DON'T STOP, YOU'RE A REALLY NICE, THOUGHTFUL PERSON AND THE MAJORITY OF US LOVE WHAT YOU DO xx

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 5 Sep 2004 18:55

Happy Birthday Robert ( when it arrives ) Hope you have a great day!! ( whenever it is ) Much happiness Debi

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 5 Sep 2004 19:02

Gee Baby, you should open your eyes. I did say I understand the posts are made with the best of intentions. What would happen if all 90,000 members added similar posts? I haven’t had a bad day, quite good actually, but if you cannot see the logic in my argument then that is your failing , not mine. Why do women always get hysterical and not address the subject? Bob

Nanna Gaynor (June nr Preston's Daughter) Report 5 Sep 2004 19:04

Why do men always resort to the hysterical woman tactic? I think we can all read Bob

Kim

Kim Report 5 Sep 2004 19:15

Oh please - in the scheme of things (like the Russian school massacre) - does it really matter if people want to send good wishes to each other?? Kim

Nanna Gaynor (June nr Preston's Daughter) Report 5 Sep 2004 19:17

Exactly

Nanna Gaynor (June nr Preston's Daughter) Report 5 Sep 2004 19:20

That's a really good idea Lynda

Kim

Kim Report 5 Sep 2004 19:20

Anyway; I wasn't using the message boards when it was my birthday (I think I missed it by a week!!) so if anyone wants to wish me a belated happy birthday for August 12th, I'd be very pleased to hear from you!! (er...joke! - for all of those with a sense of humour bypass!) Kim xx Yes - that is a good idea, Lynda!

Margaret

Margaret Report 5 Sep 2004 19:24

Bob Agree, its getting out of hand. Greetings to all and sundry, not just GC members. Dont want to be flippant, but there are a lot of other things going on in the world. Maybe its time to give this birthday/anniversary thing a bye bye, no more. Margaret

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 5 Sep 2004 19:32

In have no problem with people sending “good wishes” to each other . What I am saying is that to an outside viewer the board will be of no interest. I fully understand the “grand scheme of things” I have two severely handicapped children one of whom is in the last years of his life (MD). This does not mean we cannot discuss other issues surely? I tried to offer a constructive comment but if you want to polarize in to “camps,” do so. Bob

Nanna Gaynor (June nr Preston's Daughter) Report 5 Sep 2004 19:38

We are all entitled to our own opinions and long live democracy. It does no harm to anyone but it seems to me like a thankless task, I'm sure she has better things to do with her time than make all these posts however poeple asked her to do it and so she does. Now does she please the few of you that object or does she please the many who have requested the posts? I don't ask you to agree with me as I don't agree with you, but please lets put a little persective on this.

Kim

Kim Report 5 Sep 2004 19:40

Of course people can talk about other things - and everyone has points of view - but it just seems sad to me that these points of view tend to knock the kindness of other people on the site. I've said enough - I stopped looking at the site for a while cos it was getting me down - it's getting me down again!! I was going to say half an hour ago that the new site wasn't as good as this one - I may review that...!! Kim

Joy

Joy Report 5 Sep 2004 20:15

Just out of interest - how does June know when they are, please? Thank you. Joy

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Sep 2004 20:23

Joy, she usually puts a thread up a month or so before asking for birthdays or anniversaries the following month etc. However, I imagine she keeps a little black book for future reference! Mandy :)

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 5 Sep 2004 20:43

Happy belated Birthday Kim, and to my sister Rosalie as well on the same day (who I forgot about). See, we men can be hypocritical, if not hysterical :)) Bob