General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Smoking or No smoking

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola

Nicola Report 6 Oct 2004 15:47

Lets have a debate!! I live in Scotland and they are presently debating on whether to ban smoking - I was myself a smoker and have given up for the past year and now totally hate it!! Now I realise what my smoking did to non smokers!! Makes them smell for one!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Oct 2004 15:49

NO SMOKING !!! Those that want to smoke may have the right to pollute their lungs, but they do NOT have the right to pollute mine. Let them smoke at home if they wish, but in public places, I'd prefer clean air thanks very much.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 6 Oct 2004 15:50

Never smoked!, Mum, Dad and brother all do!.

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Oct 2004 15:52

Manda, I dispute that. I've been to both New york and Dublin in the last year or so, both non smoking, and there didn't seem to be a problem with people not going out. Had a wonderful time in Temple Bar, everywhere was heaving - no smoking.

Debbie

Debbie Report 6 Oct 2004 15:53

So Paul what about all the car fumes? and especialy those horrible lorries. Yes, I am a smoker, I smoke outside my front door but I try not to smoke around other people. My sister smokes indoors and she absolutely stinks. Funnily enough my mum mentioned it to me the other day saying why is it that she smells and I dont.

Nicola

Nicola Report 6 Oct 2004 15:53

Yes public places!! But do you not think that for the non smokers they have a right to choose to go to a pub for a drink were there is no smoke or is it just the choice of the smokers!!!

Lisa

Lisa Report 6 Oct 2004 15:53

i smoked from the age of 9 when my brother introduced me to an indian pipe we had found with tobacco from fag butts stuffed in it.smoked up to the age of 21 and gave it up when i found out i was pregnant.i think that it should be banned in restaurants but not in pubs.xxxxx(:

Suzy

Suzy Report 6 Oct 2004 15:54

I heard on Radio 4 that the pubs in Ireland have actually seen an increase in their custom since the smoking ban. I'm sure I didn't dream it. Anybody know for sure?

Lisa

Lisa Report 6 Oct 2004 15:56

i'm asthmatic and i have a no smoking policy for the house.what about bar for non-smokers and a bar for smokers.then we would all be happyxxxxxx(:

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Oct 2004 15:56

I agree about car fumes, but most of us use a car on a day to day basis - if I could have a car that didn't produce fumes then I would. Two wrong don't make a right.

Lisa

Lisa Report 6 Oct 2004 15:57

paul i think they should still do more for the enviroment and my lungs and others when it comes to car pollution.i still think they are not doing enoughxxxxxx(:

Nicola

Nicola Report 6 Oct 2004 15:57

Think you are right on the increase of people to pubs in Ireland - even read that a woman went ot Dublin on holiday a smoker and managed to stop smoking as she said that it was always the first week that was hell for her to stop because of pubs, restaurants, work etc! So maybe a total ban would see more smokers able to give up!

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 6 Oct 2004 16:00

i smoke, i dont smoke indoors at home though, just outside the front door, my mum doesnt smoke she hates it, but she thinks its a bit silly if everywhere bans smoking, so do i...

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 6 Oct 2004 16:02

SMOKING... but giving people the choice to go to Smoking or Non Smoking establishments.... I will happily go to them but I still want the choice!!

Lisa

Lisa Report 6 Oct 2004 16:02

my grandfather actually died of lung cancer through smoking.and when they opened him up he didn't have any lungs left.the fags had eaten them up.he suffocated.remember smoking kills.in the most horrific way!xxxxxxxx(:

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Oct 2004 16:10

My father lost 3 sisters and 2 brothers to Cancer and yet still he smoked. He finally gave up last year at the age off 77 after a health scare. I'm very proud of him - we think he still sneaks one occasionally, but that's better than 20 a day. Look like we need two rooms on the 16th, one for those that like clean air a d one for the anti social smokers ;o)

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 6 Oct 2004 16:11

Ban It. Ive had my mum die of lung cancer & stepmum die of emphysema, both smoked heavily. My dad used to smoke but has given up for 8 years due to heart problems. It stinks, if I go anywhere it is spoiled because of people letting smoke drift over me. (especially in some resturants when they have finished eating, lit up, then rudely smoke despite the fact that others are still eating) Unfortunally cars need to be used to get to work, but smoking is not essential for anything. Except ruining your health & others. Elaine x PS I let people smoke in my house.....as long as they dont exhale! ( only joking! no-ones allowed to smoke in my house)

Lisa

Lisa Report 6 Oct 2004 16:12

that's good paul.my grandfather used to smoke the capstan cigerettes all through his days in the navyxxxxx(:

Lisa

Lisa Report 6 Oct 2004 16:14

i agree elaine.smoking in restaurants should be banned.itputs you off eating out which is wrong .non-smokers have rights to a smoke free meal.xxxxxx(:

N

N Report 6 Oct 2004 16:17

hard one this is. each to there own, if smoking did get stopped all together, then people would notice prices rising more than ever, then they'd be complaining how much they have to pay. to settle the arguement, have none smoking places and smoking places, then people can make there own choices. also if thats the case and everyone wants it stopped completly, then everyone should wear a mask when walking outside, also people should never put a child into a pushchair, which is more harmful than being next to a smoker. loads of things are bad for you, even food you eat. so instead of stopping it, let people make a choice, a none smoking pub,club, or go into a smoking pub, club etc.