General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where would you like to retire to?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Fairy

Fairy Report 9 Oct 2004 16:37

Hubby and I have been discussing this for a while now and can't come up with an answer. We did think of France but it's going to be to compilcated. I went to Scotland a couple of weeks ago and I don't think I'd mind going there, but he's not so keen. . Jo.

Sandra

Sandra Report 9 Oct 2004 16:47

jo it would have to be somewhere warm, and layed back, without hustle bustle. lol sandra

lou from leicestershire

lou from leicestershire Report 9 Oct 2004 17:25

new york..............

valinkent

valinkent Report 9 Oct 2004 17:27

Have already retired and we are very happy staying where we are in Kent . Val

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Oct 2004 18:31

We divide our time between Wiltshire and Valencia in Spain. The World Health Organisation says that the east coast of Spain is one of the healthiest places to live - climate, Mediterranean diet etc. Richard

Fairy

Fairy Report 9 Oct 2004 18:33

Hi Richard, We could be related as I have Birds in my family tree. They came from the Windsor area. Jo.

Steph

Steph Report 9 Oct 2004 19:00

Cornwall. Half way between Padstow & St Ives. Bliss!! Only 20+ years to save up for the cottage!!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Oct 2004 19:04

Definitely Poole/Bournemouth area. We have just got one of those mobile holiday home thingies and it's wonderful ... events this year led us to 'live for today' and not wait 20 years to have a place to relax and be happy. Wonderful place, no queuing at airports, sea air and a place to chill out after a hard week at work. Will be there permanently in 20 years' time!! Mandy :)

Fee

Fee Report 9 Oct 2004 19:12

The shores of Lough Erne with the water lapping the shoreline and all the warmth and friendliness of my fellow countrymen,no place like it in the world.

Essex Baz

Essex Baz Report 9 Oct 2004 19:42

It`s got to be Suffolk/Norfolk. It has everything there for me,solitude,(if needed),fishing,boating,countryside,beaches,night life,large towns /cities,(shopping)and the weather`s not bad either, BLISS !! Baz. x

Shazza

Shazza Report 9 Oct 2004 19:45

Id like to retire to Florida for lovely warm weather and weve been there 3 times and we love it there. Sharon

Sean

Sean Report 9 Oct 2004 20:32

any where warm but without big hairy spiders

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 9 Oct 2004 20:41

Anywhere but here, (Cambridge!), Like North Norfolk coast, and so many other places that are tranquil and scenic!..

Joy

Joy Report 9 Oct 2004 20:42

Corfu, where have just returned from holiday. Joy

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 9 Oct 2004 20:45

I've a while to go before I retire but there are only two places I want to live. My home in South Lincolnshire (I'm a true Yellow Belly) or maybe my hubby's home in Limerick County, Ireland. Rebecca

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 9 Oct 2004 21:41

The Chilterns. I have been abroad - and its full of foreigners. Len

Fairy

Fairy Report 9 Oct 2004 21:47

I'm a bit puzzled about this as I was born in the Cotswolds, was brought up in north London, moved to Middlesex and now live in Hertfordshire. I don't feel as though I have ever put any roots down anywhere. Jo.

Valice in

Valice in Report 9 Oct 2004 21:47

We thought a lot about it, and have stayed put, just go away for long holidays. Got family here (in England) which makes difference. Have come to the conclusion anywhere warm in Winter would be too hot in Summer, and if you got used to the Summer heat you'd start feeling cold in Winter. Don't think anywhere is perfect to be honest. Florida has hurricanes through the Autumn months, New York would be far too busy, like living in London. Possibly Madeira would be about our favourite, but as an island nowhere much to go from there. Dream on. Val

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 9 Oct 2004 22:25

Born and brought up in S Lincolnshire, spent the last 34years in Hertfordshire/Bedfordshire, often dreamt about Cornwall or S Devon, but since I have been finding my "family" over the last few years I think I would like to retun to my roots, so to speak. But with real live family here I guess we shall just stay put and do alot of travelling!

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Oct 2004 22:49

Hi Jo, slightly off topic, but whereabouts in North London/Middlesex/Herts? We started married life in Wood Green, moved out to Enfield then further out again to Hoddesdon, Herts - before returning to our westcountry roots! Although we are still about 2 hours away from where I grew up. Mandy :)