General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

how do u cook ur roast potatoes chip pan or oven

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

kylie from perth in oz

kylie from perth in oz Report 14 Oct 2004 11:13

i cook mine in the oven but nan and mum have always done them in the chip pan

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 14 Oct 2004 11:15

Oven. I don't possess a chip pan.

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Oct 2004 11:17

oven. never thought of doing them in the fryer

Angela

Angela Report 14 Oct 2004 11:21

Oven. But prefer them sliced in sections almost through, butter/grated garlic on top, started in the microwave then finished slowly in the oven. Am cooking tonight for the first time in weeks and this is on the menu. Angela

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 14 Oct 2004 11:27

Oven, but i have known loads of people that do them in the fryer.... really crisps them up I believe!!

Joy

Joy Report 14 Oct 2004 11:41

am puzzled! our roasties are nice and crip and done in the oven. Didn't know potatoes could be roasted in a chip pan?! Joy

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Oct 2004 11:43

dont see why they couldnt be, you just put a smaller amount of fat in that you would for chips - same principle as doing them in the oven really

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 14 Oct 2004 11:55

Oven, far to greasy in a chip pan !! mmmm love roasties !! xx

Joy

Joy Report 14 Oct 2004 11:57

but then they're fried and not roasted, aren't they, Paul? Joy

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Oct 2004 11:57

did some lovely roasties last night (in the oven lol), mixture on normal potatoes and sweet potatoes (and a few carrots for good measure. YUM.

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Oct 2004 11:59

probably Joy. however when you put potatoes in hot oil in the oven, aren't you effectively doing the same (apart from the fact they get heat from above too)

Joy

Joy Report 14 Oct 2004 12:01

effectively, very likely, Paul! We don't fry chips - we buy oven chips! Joy

Angela

Angela Report 14 Oct 2004 12:01

Auntie Bessie's are really tastie and are good if you have a hectic life style. They only take about 25 minutes and dont need any extra cooking oil, try them :-)

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Oct 2004 12:04

we used to have over chips too, but invested in a proper deep fat fryer last year - much better. OK, not so good for you, but taste much nicer. Its actually sold as a multi purpose cooker, got lots of different setting, in theory you can cook anything from a chili to a roast in it (according to the book that came with it) but we've only ever done chips lol

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 14 Oct 2004 12:04

yeah we have had auntie bessies ones in the past couple of weeks, there not bad!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Oct 2004 12:05

I refuse on principle to buy anything aunt bessies

☼♥Missy

☼♥Missy Report 14 Oct 2004 12:06

I parboil potatoes first then score them with a fork and then lightly flour them. I do them in the oven in beef dripping - but the fat has to be smoking. Lorrainex

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 14 Oct 2004 12:06

My grandad will only eat chips that have been in the deep fat fryer, i feel too bad when i have them though !! lol, i like aunt bessies chips, they taste like proper chip shop chips, think they are called that actually!!

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 14 Oct 2004 12:06

why is that paul??

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Oct 2004 12:07

because I prefer to cook my own. Yorshire puddings, pancakes - these are NOT difficult things to cook !! I should add, I understand why people with lots of kids etc buy them, for convenience, but some people are just lazy lol