General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

whats your favorite sea side resort

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hilary

Hilary Report 17 Oct 2004 15:57

mine is southport i used to live there and its where i met my husband 20 years ago we also go to morecambe sometimes

Sidami

Sidami Report 17 Oct 2004 16:07

I used to love going down to Devon and Cornwall when the children were small..............so really any of them down there were nice.

Andy

Andy Report 17 Oct 2004 16:07

Hilary, What is Southport like these days, do you know? It's just that I have a friend who's coming from South Africa in the next week or so, and Southport is one such place to where her job agency have said that they may send her. I haven't been to Southport but envisaged it as being a slightly rundown looking place. Andy

Andy

Andy Report 17 Oct 2004 16:09

Mine is Scarborough, mainly because I stayed there when I was a kid, and it still looks reasonable on the visits I've made since. Lived in Brighton and Hastings and didn't rate them particularly.

Hilary

Hilary Report 17 Oct 2004 16:16

andy: southport is very nice of course i am bound to say that as i lived there but trust me it is a good place its will suit all ages weather you want a quiet holiday a holiday for the kids or a lads or girlie weekend its good fun hilary

Christine2

Christine2 Report 17 Oct 2004 16:22

Dartmouth, Salcombe and Mill Bay in South Devon

Andy

Andy Report 17 Oct 2004 16:24

LOL, Marion. It's just that certain places that were formerly favourite seaside destinations until everyone decided to head for warmer spots abroad, do look somewhat shabby. Just my opinion, I don't know for definite whether Southport falls under that category. I know when I was in Hastings (five years ago now), there seemed to be a few old buildings, I think one was a former hotel that were just abandoned or boarded up. Whether it's changed now, I don't know. As for Brighton, does anyone know if they are going to do anything about the West Pier? It sounded like it was beyond saving, last I heard???

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 17 Oct 2004 16:26

Margate holds loadsa memories for me. The day trips by coach was our "Holiday" when I was small. Dreamland fair held its magic for me. Skeggy is a nice resort & I love the beach at st Ives cornwall. Elaine x

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Oct 2004 16:47

i think swanage,in dorset is the most beautiful resort. and just for happy memories,it has to be porthcawl,in south wales. bryan.

John

John Report 17 Oct 2004 16:55

Oban.

Ann

Ann Report 17 Oct 2004 17:35

If you get a nice warm summer like 2003, there is nowhere better than Woolacombe in Devon. It has a huge sandy beach and a smaller 'shell' cove, brilliant waves, rocks to climb, donkeys, boat swings on the beach- brilliant. But you do need the warm weather otherwise the sea is a bit nippy.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 17 Oct 2004 17:58

When little we were always taken to Gt Yarmouth!, now I don't mind where, I love seaside walks, and watching those huge container ships at Felixstowe!. Lovely sea air very bracing!..

Ramblin Rose

Ramblin Rose Report 17 Oct 2004 18:03

Can I add my LEAST favourite resort. I HATE WEYMOUTH, MOST Portlanders do. We can't get anywhere without going through Bl***dy Weymouth. The traffic is horrendous and you queue for hours in each direction,going out and coming home. I worked as a Guide in a counrty house each summer and we shut about 5.00pm I never got home before 700pm. In the end I gave the job up. Rose

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Oct 2004 18:07

Bournemouth and Poole ... yes I know you've all heard me say that before lol :))

Ramblin Rose

Ramblin Rose Report 17 Oct 2004 18:08

Bryan,Swanage is fine as long as the wind is not coming from the east as the bay faces East. I taught there for a few years and it is lovely. Mind you it is another place where everything shuts down once the tourists have gone. There is a NEVER MIND THE LOCALS attitude there. All of the hoteliers abandon it for the Winter and head for lANZOROTTE. Did you know that the Swanage Railway is up and running now. It is a great day out. Rose

Maxine

Maxine Report 17 Oct 2004 19:03

I love Brighton which has a great atmosphere. Great shops. restaurants, love the Onion House, theatre's and just people watching. Lucky to live only about 10 miles away. Favourite beach is Marloes sands, Pembrokeshire. Maxine

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 17 Oct 2004 19:10

Your right Andy, the West Pier is beyond help it's just a bunch of scaffolding holding up the burnt remains but apparently they are still going to save it. Trouble is when they start someone els will tourch it just like last time. I like Bournemouth. Sheila

Lisa

Lisa Report 17 Oct 2004 19:22

love looe bay cornwall,shanklin isle of wight.and of course southsea where i livexxxx(:

Daniel

Daniel Report 17 Oct 2004 19:25

Very Nice? :-)

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 17 Oct 2004 19:39

Gorleston on Sea