General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

anybody out there like mario lanza

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sandra rogers

sandra rogers Report 4 Nov 2004 21:16

my hubby has put the thumb screws on me to put this on the board cos i said he wont get many replies lol

Joy

Joy Report 4 Nov 2004 21:19

yes. Joy

Big Shaz

Big Shaz Report 4 Nov 2004 21:22

Both my mum and my mother in law adore him! Shaz x

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Nov 2004 21:23

Who ? lol

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 4 Nov 2004 21:25

Me too Got loads of his records and tapes I have got a load of his films on video Such a smooth voice and he was good looking Sue

Glenys the Menace!

Glenys the Menace! Report 4 Nov 2004 22:00

Well Mr Sandra, you're wrong! Sandra - I'll go one further, name-dropper that I am, lol! I used to know someone who sang Mario Lanza songs in some of the local hotels. Always a hit with the ladies, of course! Don't know if he still sings though. Glenys x

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 4 Nov 2004 22:08

He was probably a very nice chap. Had a fine voice but a pity he tended to wander off key. len

sandra rogers

sandra rogers Report 4 Nov 2004 22:42

hiya thank you for your replies i will have to eat humble pie lol x

Geoff

Geoff Report 4 Nov 2004 22:49

Jean - Mario Lanza died in 1959 ... how old's your daughter?

Bev

Bev Report 4 Nov 2004 22:56

who is he ???

♥ Katz

♥ Katz Report 4 Nov 2004 22:56

I'm with Paul and Bev - Who?? Kxx

Bev

Bev Report 4 Nov 2004 22:57

phew thought for a mo i might have appeared a bit thick

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 4 Nov 2004 23:14

Yes I always liked him, as does my Mum!

Mardi

Mardi Report 4 Nov 2004 23:40

Edmund Purdom starred in The Student Prince and used Mario's voice..something to do with RKO and MGM disputes over Mario's contracts. Mario was born Alfredo Arnold Cocozza in 1921, took his mothers name as his stage name. Be My Love is my favourite, what a pity he died so young.

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Nov 2004 23:44

he was good . wonderful voice - but didnt have the stamina to be an opera singer.

Midlands

Midlands Report 4 Nov 2004 23:53

Remember the day he died. Our music teacher, Mrs. Hurrell was dotty about him and we had to sit and listen to one of his records. Like his 'Because you're mine'.

Mardi

Mardi Report 4 Nov 2004 23:59

Yes please Bill..thanks.

Mardi

Mardi Report 5 Nov 2004 01:06

Bill, I was going to add that, but thought everyone would think that I was Loopy! Being married to an Italian I have a morbid fascination for the Mafia..lol. How about adding "The Loveliest Night of The Year" to your thread ? Thanks Bill, Kaye.

BarneyKent

BarneyKent Report 5 Nov 2004 13:11

Mario Lanza was a superb opera singer who brought the genre to the masses. But he had his troubles, he was the George Best of his day and ruined what should have been an absolutely tremendous career. He drank a lot and overate so much that his weight ballooned to over 20 stones. The film studio sacked him from the film "The Student Prince", although he had already recorded the songs. Edmund Purdom took over the acting role and mimed the songs to the singing of the maestro. Later that year the Goons broadcast an edition of the Goon Show entitled "The Lost Music of Purdom". Eccles, Bluebottle, Neddy Seagoon, Henry Crun and co. searched for it all the way through half-an-hour of the usual corny jokes and right at the end, they found the lost music. Eccles was heard singing.... "Purdom, purdom, purdom, purdom, purdom, purdom, purdom." Sadly, Mario Lanza's film career declined and he died of a heart attack a few years later. Forget conspiracy theories, Kennedy, Presley, Princes Diana and Lanza ....... when will these unfounded rumours ever end?

sandra rogers

sandra rogers Report 5 Nov 2004 13:37

thanks again my hubby is laughing his socks off cos i was wrong glad i didnt bet any money lol