General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Who would they be offending? me for one

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Nov 2004 13:01

A school named after a Christian Saint may be given a new title to avoid affending other religions. St Mary Magdalene could be too upsetting a name for Minority faiths - The school was first named in 1710 in Islington. I sometimes travel around and see stupid names of places/roads and buildings that peeves me off, and the majority of the time I wonder what type of drug or how much they are getting paid to think up these half-witted names - talk about cotten wool nation. Oh by the way the St Mary Magdalene school is still being sponsered by the Church - who's arses are they crawling up? Lin

Craig

Craig Report 5 Nov 2004 13:09

No more Baa baa black sheep!?

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Nov 2004 13:13

I've got news for you Craig poor Baa Baa's been slaughtered. Lin

Craig

Craig Report 5 Nov 2004 13:19

Moo moo Jersey cow now aint it? My kids go to catholic run schools, and now there's so many asylum seekers even they've started it. Three of a class of fifteen don't speak English. How much does this detract from the attention my daughters get? OOPS!! better be careful...don't want to be accused of being a racist!

Poolmaster

Poolmaster Report 5 Nov 2004 13:20

lin the other day at a meeting i was told you cant use the phrase 'brain storming' because it offends epileptic people! the worlds gone mad!!

Debbie

Debbie Report 5 Nov 2004 13:22

Talking about stupid names. They have just built some houses up from me and one of the roads is called Benny Hill close. I know he used to do a milk round somewhere in Eastleigh but that is just plain stupid. And another road that lead past the council offices, has just changed names it is now called Kornwestium way. How many people would remember that. I went round to my Mums and said you know that road Kornwestium. she had no idea. Absolutely ridiculous.

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 5 Nov 2004 13:23

my grandchildren are now singing baa baa pink sheep!if ever you did wat on earth is that suppose to mean? i think its nothing more than an insult to our grandparents who fought for a better country,and many of them lost their lives doing so. it makes my bloody boil.so much for the saying"when in rome do as the romans do!!!" susie

Debbie

Debbie Report 5 Nov 2004 13:23

Sorry just realised that what I have just written has nothing to do with the thread title. but I still think it's stupid.

Debbie

Debbie Report 5 Nov 2004 13:27

So what colour do they say a Black Sheep is then?

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 5 Nov 2004 13:28

Dave goes to Uni one day a week...and he told me that your not allowed to call blackboards blackboards anymore and the same with whiteboards...cos apparently thats offensive!! xx

Pat

Pat Report 5 Nov 2004 13:38

Its a mad mad mad WORLD.......... I think people involved should be allowed to votes when these other do gooders want to change Road Names, School names etc., its not very fair imposing other people's will on others, just because the Western World has gone Politically Correct MAD! Baa Baa Pink sheep doesn't have the same ring to it. Oops apologies to all the Pink's out there. Its ridiculous Pat x

Glenys the Menace!

Glenys the Menace! Report 5 Nov 2004 13:50

Well Paul, I'm epileptic and that's the first I've heard of it, lol! And no, I'm certainly not offended by it. As for my brain? Er, ................. For crying out loud, whatever's happened to our country? It gets madder by the minute, it seems! I still refuse to forget my lovely childhood Golly, so if anybody is offended by that - tough, lol! Glenys x

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Nov 2004 13:50

It's bad enough when they rename pubs that have had their names for centuries (we had a Black Horse thats now The Proud Perch (stupid name)), but this is absolutely ridiculous. Pathetic.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 5 Nov 2004 14:01

There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is ENGLAND - Winston Churchill Jeanette x

Glenys the Menace!

Glenys the Menace! Report 5 Nov 2004 14:04

Just had a thought - what about places like Whitehaven, Greenwich, Blackpool, Redditch ............? From a very politically incorrect Glenys.

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 5 Nov 2004 14:06

The school Lin refers to is a Church of England Primary School and has a CHRISTIAN ( not Muslim/Jewish / or Any other faith) ethos............so will they be changing this too? Does Christian values now offend the multi cultral society we have become? Oh boy Much happiness Debi

Pat

Pat Report 5 Nov 2004 14:10

Roxanne Could not have said it better. Pat x

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Nov 2004 14:13

Whilst I agree with much of what has been said on this thread, I don't believe that we should be teaching ANY religion in STATE schools; passing on religious beliefes should be the role of the parents and the community. I'm not religious myself, and would like my son to make up his own mind about his beliefs when he's old enough, not have them forced upon him by myself or a school. That said, a church school is a church school, presumably the parents had a choice in sending their children there (my Gt niece is at a catholic school, her mothers choice). Regards Paul

helenbell

helenbell Report 5 Nov 2004 14:18

i agree with all of you when will we ever have the right to speak out, we are all afraid to say anything without appologising for it, and i have never seen a pink sheep, a few pink elephants!!!!!!

Merlin

Merlin Report 5 Nov 2004 14:31

I do hope you all realise that these people who come up with these " Inituatives" Government Speak For "Ideas" are being paid with our taxes to do these things,Its Called a Think Tank.Its just a pity they can,t fill it with water and drop them all in it. Then they can all come out a "Whiter Shade of Pale"or is that thought Non PC.? Hal. Just have sympathy for all the little "Gollys" being thrown off Jam Jars,They,re all out of work now,AAAH.