General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

IN MEMORY OF THOSE WHO HAVE LOST THEIR LIVES FOR T

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

June

June Report 9 Nov 2004 14:33

Last year we had a thread where we listed those we would like remembered, I thought I would start one off again.

June

June Report 9 Nov 2004 14:35

John William Burrows - First world War. My Uncle died age 21 Stanley Arthur Surgey - Second World War. My cousin age 21 Arthur Gibson - Second World War. my cousin inhis 20's

Daniel

Daniel Report 9 Nov 2004 14:37

Before the outbreak of war, John Longman was a merchant seaman bringing Guinness from Ireland to Bristol. With national pride at stake, he joined the Royal Navy Reserve as a Leading Trimmer and dealt with cargo among the ships. He lied about his age as men over 40 were not allowed to join. On the first of May 1916, John was killed whilst serving on the Kylemore. He left a widow and six children.

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 9 Nov 2004 14:39

My great uncle who never came home ww2. Rifleman William Clewley Elaine x

Andy

Andy Report 9 Nov 2004 14:50

William Howard Tom PRIOR - WW1 - younger brother of my great grandfather, age 30.

helenbell

helenbell Report 9 Nov 2004 14:56

To all the men and women who tried to make this a better place for us, they lost their lives or their sons, husbands my dad was in the 2 world war and saw things a young man should never see my mum was a nurse, so my tribute is to all who had to live through that and died for their country.

Lucky

Lucky Report 9 Nov 2004 15:00

My gt.grandad Thomas E. Sheldrick killed in action WW1 1918 Dianex

Lindy

Lindy Report 9 Nov 2004 15:11

WW1: 1st South African Rifles from Grahamstown. My Great Grandfather Arthur Alfred Hackart who never came home. He left two orphaned daughters!. WW2: My late Dad and three of his brothers were in North Africa and Italy. God brought them home safely!. Lindy

Scrummy

Scrummy Report 9 Nov 2004 15:36

John Edward WARREN WW1 4th Company Canadian Mounted Rifles killed Ypres JUne 1916 age 22 Raymond Kenneth LLEWELLYN my late husband killed 814 Sqdn HMS Eagle 20.8.1957 aged 21 - he never saw his son

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 9 Nov 2004 15:54

P/O John Allen Ovens; R.C.A.F. Plane was lost on November 7, 1943. Allen was my mum's cousin. He was the only child of John and Florence (Fox) Ovens. Allen's mother died just after he was born. John never remarried. I'm remembering the family, as Allen's loss of life must have been so painful for his father.

Elaine

Elaine Report 9 Nov 2004 16:14

Ralph Evans (T/175282 Driver RASC). My Great Grandmothers brother who volunteered to test parachutes during the summer of 1940 at Ringway. The first recorded fatality on 25/7/40 when his parachute failed to open, buried and commemorated Walton on Thames. His sacrifice, and that of many others like him brought about the Parachute Regiment. Gone but not forgotten.

Sandra

Sandra Report 9 Nov 2004 16:25

My thoughts go to my ancestors, and all men women and children that lost their lives through all wars. sandra

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 9 Nov 2004 19:45

Arthur Edward Bradford - Bethune 20 August 1918 age 21 George William Cook - Loos 26 September 1915 age 28 George Henry Parker - Germany 7 July 1918 age 41

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust***

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust*** Report 9 Nov 2004 19:52

all the men in my life time and before who served in the forces , to protect us and give us freedom to do as we wish. men in northern ireland falklands iraq ones like the two who i watched on tv when i was in my teens get killed as they walked past an ira funeral and were dragged over a wall and beaten, before tv censored what they showed. its not always been in the act of war, many of these men have been peace keeping. the men who got trapped in iraq without sufficient weapons in the police station. thinking of all the forces at this time and always.

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Nov 2004 20:03

Pte Samuel Cook Johnson, 2nd Battalion Devonshire Regiment Killed at Flanders 30.11.1917, age 24 (my great-uncle's brother in law) Marine Thomas Henry James Barnes, HMS Glorious Lost when Glorious was sunk by the enemy 8.6.1940, age 25 (my great-uncle) And remembering all who fought for their country. Mandy

Sue

Sue Report 9 Nov 2004 20:13

My Great Uncle, Edward Charles Lloyd Key, MM & bar, 15th Btn Central Ontario Regt, died in France on September 28 1918 aged 20. Buried at Duisans British Cemetery, Etrun. My husband's Grandfather, Joseph Spiller Seldon, MM, 2nd Btn Devonshire Regt, died in France, April 24 1918, aged 31, leaving a wife (who never remarried) and 2 sons aged 6 and 4. Buried at Adelaide Cemetery, Villiers-Bretonneux. My husband's Great Uncle, John Boucher Seldon, 1st Btn Royal Welsh Fusilliers, died in Ypres, October 20 1914 aged 20. No known grave, but remembered at the Menin Gate memorial. We will remember them. Sue

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 9 Nov 2004 20:18

Private Frederick Notzke, 22nd Battalion London Regiment, killed in action 16.9.1916, Somme, aged 21, no known grave, Thiepval Memorial (grandfather's nephew). Ronald Jerrard, Musician, Royal Marines Band, HMS Barham, sank 25.11.1941, aged 29 (mother's cousin). Ordinary Seaman Robert Dashwood, HMS Esk, sank 1.9.1940, aged 20 (mother's cousin). Lest we forget.

Andy

Andy Report 9 Nov 2004 20:23

Charles Swansbury, aged 30 Ploegsteert Wood, Belgium 1918 Frederick Robert Martin, aged 28 Battle of Bullecourt, France 1918

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 9 Nov 2004 20:32

Private JAMES HENRY CHURCHILL, 13th bn, Cheshire Regiment---died:7th July 1916---Somme. Remembered with honour THIEPVAL MEMORIAL. he was my great uncle----my great grans first child----what must she have gone through when she got the news he had been killed?? chris.

Glenys the Menace!

Glenys the Menace! Report 9 Nov 2004 20:51

My Great Uncle Alfie, Alfred Leary, died in WW1; Also, our Isaac Farrington, died in WW2; Lastly, our John Seddon Laird of Canada, died WW2. Thinking of you often, Bob and Glen.