General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ian Hislop........

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

R.B.

R.B. Report 9 Nov 2004 22:05

Brilliant.

Christine2

Christine2 Report 9 Nov 2004 22:08

Oh good - I did :))

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Nov 2004 22:09

It was nice to hear him say that he had changed his opinion about Genealogy being for Anoraks. He really did get excited.

June

June Report 9 Nov 2004 22:12

I felt the same as Glitter Baby Lovely scenery for a holiday programme. June

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Nov 2004 22:14

really sorry,but i thought it was boring tonite. bryan.

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 9 Nov 2004 22:18

I thought it was really good, but then he touched on things that I have found, so the interest was there. Did not realise though that Scotland played such a hugh part in our Empire and also, never even occured to me, what they had to endure with the dress wear, can't imagine what that was like. Kim

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 9 Nov 2004 22:42

Still think the Sue Johnston one was the best as it showed beginners how to research.

Sandra

Sandra Report 9 Nov 2004 22:43

Brilliant better than last week and my husband watched too! said he remeber his father talking about his grandfather in boar war I think that this touch so many people well done to the bbc!!!

CATHKIN

CATHKIN Report 9 Nov 2004 22:48

Brilliant -never laughed so much when he was on Scottish island in pile of bricks1 Rosalyn

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 9 Nov 2004 22:48

I fell asleep - not sure why - tired or bored or both?? Have to rewind the video tomorrow and check ;p

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 9 Nov 2004 22:58

I thought it was brilliant. I only wish there was more information about finding boer war records as my great great grandad fought in the boer war. Lucia

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 9 Nov 2004 23:11

One of my Harding rellies disappears in 1901, wish i could find out where it happened............

Andy

Andy Report 10 Nov 2004 00:02

Probably my least favourite so far (nothing against Ian Hislop, who I find entertaining on the whole), just felt too fragmented and not particularly engaging. It didn't "flow" as well as the other programmes did, I don't think, although it probably says more about the high quality of the ones that have gone before.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 10 Nov 2004 00:14

I agree Andy. It kept skipping from one side of the family to the other. Found myself nodding off at one point! Jeanette x

Helen

Helen Report 10 Nov 2004 00:19

Have to agree with thoes that said it was their least favourite. The history aspect was interesting but it did not have as much of the 'human' side such as Amanda Redmans and Bill Oddies. Those put tears in my eyes!! Night Night all Helen

Ann

Ann Report 10 Nov 2004 08:25

I suppose your point of view depends on whether it is something you can personally relate to- I have ancestors who fought in the Boer war and WW1, so finding more about that side of things interested me- I thought it was easy to understand, wheras often I find military history quite hard to follow if you do not know anything about it in the first place. So well done Ian, I now have an idea of the horror of the Boer war, which is not as well publicised as WW1.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 10 Nov 2004 10:06

Hi, I found it one of the more interesting ones because it was concerned with History as well as family. It was an inspiration for those of us with Military men among our ancestors to find out more. I'm loving the whole series but am slightly disappointed in that it is only concentrating on late 19th or early 20th C ancestors. (Apart from Ian's Murdo). I was hoping for some pointers on researching earlier than that. Can't wait for Moira's next week, though. Gwynne

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Nov 2004 10:08

Agree with Andy totally - the least engaging programme so far, too fragmented (in thats those were the exact words I used last night). Was more like a history lesson than anything to do with genealogy. Perhaps if I was researching more WWI history I may have been more interested, but I'm not (yet), and even if I was I would have liked to see how he obtained information, not just showing his having trips to South Africa (didn't his poor kids look totally bored !).

Andy

Andy Report 10 Nov 2004 10:28

The one I'm looking forward to most is Lesley Garratt's episode. I'm sure it was her that discovered a murder in the family, and so it has the potential to be an intriguing episode.

Craig

Craig Report 10 Nov 2004 11:20

I enjoyed it but, then again, it's the first one I,ve seen. I'm looking forward to seeing how Moira Stuart got such a Scottish name though! lol