General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Need your advice on what to buy

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Daniel

Daniel Report 23 Dec 2004 11:53

Today is Christmas Eve eve and I still need to by a present for a 39 year old dinner lady/office cleaner/housewife that is my mother with a budget of £30-40. Fed up with buying necklaces etc which are usually kept in a box on the dressing table. I was thinking of buying a new duster of something, maybe a new iron to take the pressure off cleaning as she obviously loves doing that. But I don't know, what d' reckon?

Bec

Bec Report 23 Dec 2004 11:54

No, no and no! How about a book (there's loads of interesting autobiographies around at the moment) and some Clinique 'Happy' perfume? Becx

Poolmaster

Poolmaster Report 23 Dec 2004 11:54

deep fat fryer dan. she'll love that honest. or a bread maker.

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 23 Dec 2004 11:56

Take it from a non-mother of 39.... do not and I repeat DO NOT buy domestic appliances... A Book, Vouchers for a health spa, perfume, something pretty to put on the dressing table... ANYTHING GIRLIE!! :O)

Daniel

Daniel Report 23 Dec 2004 11:57

Ah but today is Christmas Eve eve. She has very little time to read so books aren't really going to be any good. I suppose what I'm looking for is sometthing which will look nice, get used occasionally and not too expensive.

Joy

Joy Report 23 Dec 2004 11:58

jewellery box for the necklaces? :) Joy

Bec

Bec Report 23 Dec 2004 12:00

How about a CD and some perfume? becx

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Dec 2004 12:02

Daniel, in Boots they do a lovely range of etched glassware - a trinket box, matching photo frame, lovely girlie stuff that I'm sure she'd love on her dressing table. And it would be within your budget too (and see if you can filch her Boots reward card out of her purse and get her some loyalty points as well). Mandy :)

Joy

Joy Report 23 Dec 2004 12:04

a nice plant for the garden? rose bush? :) Joy

Daniel

Daniel Report 23 Dec 2004 12:06

I'll have to think about it a bit more (Quickly) Thanks for the ideas.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 23 Dec 2004 12:06

Hi Dan As a 39 year old Mum I can tell you definitely no domestic appliances. You want to forget all that stuff at Christmas. Becs ideas of cd's and perfume are good, or how about a free view digibox if she likes watching telly. Or does she have any hobbies - you could get her something for her hobby. Jeanette x

Craig

Craig Report 23 Dec 2004 12:09

Calvin Klein Eternity £18, and little case from Next full of tioletries and a perfume £15. there u go mate

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 23 Dec 2004 12:11

There is a gorgeous perfume called JASPER CONRAN.... been out a while but no-one seems to have picked up on just how lovely it is.... every time I wear it a man comments... and asks their wives to buy some too!! Treat for her and your Pa!! :O)

Yvette

Yvette Report 23 Dec 2004 12:19

Daniel......go to Boots and raid the Sanctuary products... as a mum of 38 i cherish my time off from the family with a soak in the bath with any/all of their fantastic products. This year it is once again top of my Christmas list, along with a good book and chocolate. Yvette

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 23 Dec 2004 13:33

Daniel - pamper items - don't have to be expensive - vouchers for massage/manicure/pedicure. Usually about £15 - £20 each treatment - well within your budget. Usually large hotels have Beauty Salons attached or in High Street you will see Beauty Shops. My g.son has just bought a voucher for a manicure for his mum. M & S vouchers - she can buy what she wants in the sales! Stay clear of perfume - unless you know what she wears. What smells nice on one person won't on another. Something she wouldn't buy for herself and mums don't pamper themselves. Do tell us what you decide

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 23 Dec 2004 13:48

At Boots you can add money to a gift card. It's like a gift voucher but it can used again and again after all the money is spent. Lucia :-)

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 23 Dec 2004 13:52

Yvette That Sanctuary stuff is gorgeous,,!! My favourie in Mande LuLar and the Nourish stuff.

John

John Report 23 Dec 2004 13:54

As you now more about vacuum cleaners than anyone else, surely that is the best option!!

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 23 Dec 2004 13:55

Yvette and Claire.... definitely agree.... I had a candle lit bath with the Sanctuary bath relaxer in last night.... and it wass DREAMY!! Daniel.... Sanctuary products are a MUST HAVE for any overworked female!!

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 23 Dec 2004 18:55

Have you decided yet Daniel? :))