General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Covid vaccine mandated

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Caroline

Caroline Report 20 Aug 2021 19:17

So over here they're starting to mandate the vaccine at workplaces and colleges/Unis etc. Is that happening anywhere else?

I have to say I agree if you're dealing with the public especially hospitals/care homes.

Kense

Kense Report 20 Aug 2021 21:06

UK vaccination rates seem to have stagnated. Many EU countries are now ahead of us.

Allan

Allan Report 20 Aug 2021 22:05

It is also being mandated at certain workplaces in Oz also, Caroline, in certain workplaces. This is mainly an imitative of large employers such as Rio Tinto and Qantas

Unfortunately, the Feds haven't yet made it compulsory for people working in aged care facilities (in Oz the Feds are responsible for the aged, whilst the States are responsible for health)

Caroline

Caroline Report 20 Aug 2021 22:15

After the Feds said earlier this week all their workers had to be vaccinated then the flood gates have opened. Now provincial and local authority workers have to be. Most hospitals and public transit have jumped on the wagon. Big banks are starting and the local head doctor has announced in her opinion all employers with over 1000 workers should mandate it. Some unions are against it.
Basically get vaccinated or provide a doctors note to explain why not. Otherwise you'll go on educational courses then in theory you'll be either sacked or sent on unpaid leave.

Allan

Allan Report 20 Aug 2021 22:21

The biggest hurdle here, Caroline, was the Industrial Relations laws and what employers can and can't ask workers to do, but, sensibly, the Unions backed the Employers requirements.

Caroline

Caroline Report 21 Aug 2021 02:44

Basically the same here Allan, hence they were all waiting for the Feds to start I think. I can see it being challenged here for sure.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Aug 2021 07:46

Not here yet I don't think Except a local horticultural college has stated that students will not be allowed to live on campus unless vaccinated. that is a first for colleges universities etc so waiting to see what happens. (talk of legal action already).

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 21 Aug 2021 08:17

Are they not bringing it in for care staff?

Allan

Allan Report 21 Aug 2021 10:20

Not in Oz, at least for now, despite the number of cases and deaths in aged care facilities :-(

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 21 Aug 2021 10:52

Here are the recent percentages vaccinated of over-16s in the UK.

1st dose = 87.4%

2nd dose = 76%

I haven’t checked comparisons.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 21 Aug 2021 10:56

Recently the French brought out a chart showing they were the most vaccinated. But they had removed several countries that were above them.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 21 Aug 2021 11:06

There’s a good percentage of pop’n chart online as at 20 August (sorry, finger slipped - it is 20 August).

The order of vaccinations per nation is as follows (highest first).

UAE
Singapore
Uruguay
UK
Germany
France
USA
Turkey
Japan
Brazil
WORLD AVERAGE PERCENT
(With China now added)
India

No mention of Canada which at that date reveals that as of 14 August the percentages are:

63.86% are fully vaccinated and
71.95% have had the first dose.

Caroline

Caroline Report 21 Aug 2021 12:08

https://covid19tracker.ca/vaccinationtracker.html

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/world/covid-vaccinations-tracker.html

Not sure which chart you looked at JoyLouise there's so many to look at! On the one I attached Canada is 10th right behind Israel. Canada is also vaccinating children 12 years old and up whether that makes much difference to the % or not....

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 21 Aug 2021 12:26

The stats as at 20 August, Caroline.

The percentages I gave for Canada were as at 14 August but released on 20th.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 21 Aug 2021 12:32

I found Macrons COVID chart again and he had removed the top three countries (Spain, Canada and UK) to show France on the top spot.

Kense

Kense Report 21 Aug 2021 12:33

https://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2021/health/global-covid-vaccinations/

Gibraltar
Malta
United Arab Emirates
Pitcairn
Uruguay
Cayman Islands
Niue
Isle of Man
Qatar
Guernsey
Israel
Singapore
Seychelles
Chile
Jersey
Bahrain
Faroe Islands
Denmark
Iceland
Canada

UK doesn't make on this list.although it does appear further down on the webpage.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 21 Aug 2021 12:37

For Canadian percentages the site I looked at was

health-infobase.canada.ca

The percentages were total pop’n and INCLUDED down to 12-yr olds.

The total percentage with first vaccine was 71.95.

The percentage (fully) vaccinated was 63.86.

The ‘chart’ figures for vaccinated usually mean those having ‘the full course’, ie two vaccinations.

There is also a map distinguishing vaccinated per Canadian states.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 21 Aug 2021 12:39

That is an interesting list. Many of those places are very small with small populations, where everyone knows everyone else) therefore making it easier to reach everyone.

Canada would shoot up the list if you removed those very small places .

Caroline

Caroline Report 21 Aug 2021 12:42

So many charts from so many countries some of which try and mislead for whatever reason.....but back to the thread as such....more reason for mandating the vaccine when you have good but not great numbers.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 21 Aug 2021 12:49

Caroline - took a look at your sites and

72.306 % one dose (my stats 71.95%)

64.599% full (mine 63.86%)

So only a slight variation.

12-year olds were included in mine.