General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

SOME PARENTS HAVE NOT GOT THE MESSAGE

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 22 Mar 2020 00:45

I was talking to my daughter today she had taken her dog out for a walk and said I would be surprised at how many children were out playing football I wonder how long it will take them to get the message :-S

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 22 Mar 2020 08:44

Neither have some oldies!

I agree, Linda. My Grandson's last day of term was Friday and Dtr tells me that some of his friends were asking each other round or to play football. She thinks it's akin to a dare as she knows most of the parents and believes that they don't know what's going on and, if they did, they would not allow their children out of the perimeters of their gardens anyway.

Strangely, she lives opposite a park and she said it has been empty for the last few days - none of the usual football etc going on.

She thinks some children and young teenagers may be trying to egg each other on into going out which would result in the usual phrase, 'So-and-so is out, why can't I go?'

On a different tack, Dtr or her OH have popped the newspaper through our letterbox or in the front porch this week along with a couple of treats on some days.

We either Skype or FaceTime each evening and she has told me that she can't believe how many oldies can't seem to grasp the concept of distance. With a handful of items in her basket (not trolley), she has been nudged, reached across and shuffled along in the queue by someone too up-close-and-friendly. Each time she has told them to keep their distance and has been met with glares. As she said to me, 'I am not in the vulnerable group but they are and I would hate to think that I passed anything on to a pensioner.'

We told her that we are now going to read online and need nothing so, unless they NEED anything, there is no need for her to pick up items for us.

We both think that everyone will be told to keep off the streets within the next day or so. We can see it coming sooner, rather than later, because of the irresponsible behaviour of some citizens.

Definitely sooner when seeing strollers along seafronts and people going to caravan parks.

I believe that The Campting and Caravan Club has closed all of its sites - which is a good indication as to the seriousness of our situation.

Additionally: just seen the news about Nat Heritage sites' gardens and parks are now closed too. I was stunned when they didn't close them earlier - as I wrote on another thread several days ago.

Too many people have not got a grasp on the situation we are all in at the moment!

Stay safe everyone. I hope we all come out the other end, if not fine and dandy, alive and reasonably well.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 22 Mar 2020 09:46

I always walk my dog at 'silly o'clock' in the morning. I stopped to chat with a fellow dog walker this morning, self distancing of course, who told me The Park was heaving yesterday afternoon! ....in fact, so much so, she almost lost her dog! People were walking four abreast, teens huddled in groups and the children's playground rammed with children.

I should add my dog walking friend once reunited with her dog left the park as soon as she could and said she won't be doing that again

What do these people not understand :-0 :-|

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 22 Mar 2020 09:51

It's quite sad how many people don't have a clue, Belle.

Dtr and her OH like you. Very early morning shorter walk and they've always walked pooch very late, just before they go to bed. During the day he gets no further than the garden.

Barbra

Barbra Report 22 Mar 2020 09:51

Some people don't want to be told what to do its silly as virus can pass quickly we all need to be careful we have a walk way at the top of our Garden & forest gated & fenced off. adults & children are walking along & riding bikes dog walkers as well I mean you can only hope that they do Take notice eventually .
lots of ways to keep in touch with family .then after all this we can meet up again :-)

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 22 Mar 2020 10:04

Joy,

After his early morning walk our dog uses the garden conveniences :-)

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 22 Mar 2020 10:34

Ralphie is well looked after. <3

Caroline

Caroline Report 22 Mar 2020 10:44

They're putting up signs here at our parks to remind parents they shouldn't be there and it's not being cleaned. There have been some kids but not packed. What I have seen though is kids going to their friends' house for a playdate or last night adults having friends around!!

Barbra

Barbra Report 22 Mar 2020 10:54

I was thinking that myself if friends can't go to pubs clubs they will go to each other's houses to have a drink maybe barbeques. Is that acceptable ? don't think so Barbara

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 22 Mar 2020 10:59

I was on the phone to my son this morning who was complaining about joggers. They seem not to believe in distancing themselves from Peoria trains..

Maybe with less stars etc it will be safer to walk in the road rather than the pavement.

Tawny

Tawny Report 22 Mar 2020 13:00

I have to go into work tomorrow and I’m hoping the bus will be quiet. Sadly I don’t have the option of working from home. We’re not open to the public though and are just running the online part of the business.

I live in a part of the city that is still 50% military and all the children are in their own gardens round here.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 22 Mar 2020 13:09

Both my daughter and husband are working from home, conferencing calling will be a challenge.

The three children all moaned loudly about missing school, both sets of grandparents cannot visit due to age and health issues.

Daughter wondering how on earth she can keep them occupied when usually they are in school then at various sports activities after school and at weekends.

They have a good sized garden but kids being kids that will become less attractive compared to all the sports they take part in each week.

I have ordered more books for them which is all I can do.

Tough times for parents ahead.

Sue

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Mar 2020 13:29

I have just read on a local web site that somebody has just counted over 20 children playing on the equipment in the local park. I don't know if it is ignorance or not believing it will effect them. time we were put on lockdown I think.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 22 Mar 2020 15:16

Just taken a look and our park is still empty so there are still some responsible parents around.

Having written that, I agree with you about lockdown Ann. Some people need to be saved from themselves it seems.

If BJ does not announce it tonight, it can't be too long before he does so. I don't think he can afford not to.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Mar 2020 16:30

According to the DM (and I assume it is true), Borid J only shut out pubs etc when threatened by Macron the French boarders would be shut to UK if he didn't do it.

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 22 Mar 2020 16:31

I don't know if other people on here will think that I am stupid, but last Thursday afternoon I went for a walk in my local park. I saw very few people there, much less than usual. Of course the children were still at school, it also looked like it might start to rain, so perhaps that kept some people away.

I hope to be able to go there again this week. I will not touch anything, and will keep my distance from other people. At the moment I don't believe that I will be a danger to myself or others.

If matters change, I shall ssay home.

As for children playing outside with thier mates ..... they probably don't realise the dangers. If they have taken any notice at all ove rhte last couple of weeks, they will have heard that although children may get the virus, it will be mild and they will recover.

Vunerable children are supposed to still be going to school. I know that yeaterday and today are not school days.

Parents have to take responsibility of making sure that their children are aware of the dangers.

Remember though, some people do not have gardens, no outside space. I feel very sorry for them.

Will let you know if I change my mind about going out next week (I won't be shopping). will also wait for a dismal day, hoping that there will be fewer people around. Of course won't go if I have any symptoms.

Perhaps some of the children are expecting to go on lochdown at some date, and are making hay while the sun shines. (As I did with my shopping - went out yesterday but hope to be able to keep away from all shops for at least two weeks).

Dermot

Dermot Report 22 Mar 2020 16:44

It is a sad & a serious situation when residents are fearful of leaving their home.

Sad but necessary say the experts. We should heed their instructions.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Mar 2020 00:02

My daughter, OH and son are in a 14 day quarantine after returning home for the US. They cannot go out shopping or for visits, but they are allowed to go out in the garden OR for walks as long as they can maintain the social distance of 2 metres from other people at all times.

The province they live has just instituted a State of Emergency, the last province in Canada to do so ........ which means that people not obeying the distance order are liable to a fine, and arrest if they still refuse. Plus, all parks and beaches etc have now been closed.

They live very near a small lake with a lovely walk around it ................. except that the sidewalk from their house to there is very narrow, often not wide enough for 2 abreast, plus no division between it and the fairly busy road. Then much of the walk around the lake is also narrow in places.

So the idea that they had to get the 10 year old for a break from the house has been put on the back burner, for the next 12 days at least.

The child had his first play date with his best friend via Skype today ............ half an hour during they mostly laughed because it was all so strange!

Caroline

Caroline Report 23 Mar 2020 00:29

I'm really not getting why people can't get it.....just keep away from others as much as possible the sooner you do that the quicker we can try and get a handle on this thing. Walking the dog today most people are doing just that we're all jumping aside or crossing the road...but there's still one or two that insist on walking right into you if you let them....I'm telling people I'm social distancing if they don't do it we need to educate everyone.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 23 Mar 2020 00:39

There are lots of things on line for children and adults to look at, museums and zoos etc

In Chelmsford o.h.'s grandkids have painted a rainbow on a board and put it in the window with a teddybear. It's so parents take the kids on a bear hunt and they count how many they find! I suppose if they go in the car it might be ok.

Lizx