General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Washing Machine Replacement - Suggestions Please

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 8 Mar 2020 15:17

My washing machine has decided to give up the ghost and I now need to replace it. I have had it a long time and they have all changed/improved in the meantime. It only holds 5kg and spins at 1,000 revs - as far as I can see from google they all spin at 1200+ and have so many programmes the mind boggles - or at least, mine does!!

What make have you got and would you recommend it?

How long does it take to do a full load on 40C?

All suggestions gratefully received. :-) :-)

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 8 Mar 2020 15:45

I've got a Samsung Eco Bubble, had it for a few years and have been very pleased with it. It still gets good reviews online. Easy to use, and mine has a short 'daily wash' program which takes about an hour and is fine for everyday, not muddy, stuff. Also normal cycle wash programs, wool, hand wash etc. and you can select the spin speed. Would certainly buy again if this one packs in!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Mar 2020 16:32

I have a Hoover washer/dryer and have been very pleased with it. (Bought from AO.com and they are very good on price and delivery). The full load setting does take quite a long time but I always use the "half load" setting even though I probaly put more in than I should but it washes at 30 degrees (this can be altered) and the half load setting can be put on for either 14, 30 or 44 minutes. I usually use the 44 minute setting and the clothes come out perfectly clean. There are lots of other setting but to be honest I usually still to the same one.

Kath. x

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Mar 2020 16:40

Gosh, Rollo, that's a lot to spend on washing your pants!
A person could do 175 launderette washes for that money- and, in place of the washing machine, have a spare cupboard.
They'd also save on water!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Mar 2020 16:47

As far as price goes you get what you pay for and it is personal choice. My washer/dryer was around £400 but AO.com sell a basic washing machine from £169 up to £1799 for a super duper wi-fi one.

The Miele machine has a good name apparently.

Kath. x

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Mar 2020 16:48

I've got a Beko.
Extremely good, less than £500 - even less than £300, and easy to use :-D

It's slimline, and can wash a 6kg load in 28 minutes.
It has lasted for years - but they no longer make them.
However, Beko do new ones that are just as good - very good reviews - and are water savers. :-D

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 8 Mar 2020 17:00

Thankyou everyone. Lots to think about, although the Miele is a bit expensive. (One of the reviews was very scathing about the jingle it plays when the wash is finished!)

I'm like Kathleen - once I've found a wash cycle I like, I tend to use the same one all the time.

Sharron

Sharron Report 8 Mar 2020 19:51

Mines a That One. I don't know what it is and I can't be bothered to go and look.

I don't really have a preference but look through what is on offer at the time.

There is a shop near us that specializes in seconds, a scratch the size of a canary's toe-nail can save you hundreds and that is usually where my white good come from.

Once had a very bad experience with Beko (the door fell off the new oven on Christmas Day!) so I just would not touch them for any appliance.

Sharron

Mines a That One. I don't know what it is and I can't be bothered to go and look.

There is a shop near us that specializes in seconds, a scratch the size of a canary's toe-nail can save you hundreds and that is usually where my white good come from.

Once had a very bad experience with Beko (the door fell off the new oven on Christmas Day!) so I just would not touch them for any appliance.

Sharron

Sharron

Sharron

Sharron

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 8 Mar 2020 23:50

Mine is a Beko and I have had it about ten years and no problems at all. All my other appliances are the same brand and very good value for their money and are also yonks old :-D. My daughter has the large capacity Beko which she does at least 3 loads every day in (3 kids) and hers has never given bother either in it's 6 years

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 9 Mar 2020 10:53

How many washing machines does Sharron have - about seven :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 Mar 2020 11:20

RTR - that article is 4 years old - and in the Express!
Try reading an unbiased article from the time:

https://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/fix-it-yourself/washing-machine-washer-dryer/3529-washing-machine-door-glass-failures

A relevant extract, to put it into perspective:

"There are an estimated 30-40 million washing machines in use in the UK domestically every day. The average number of loads per year is 250-270 so, we'll use the lower of both estimates to make the risk most probably look artificially higher than it ought to be.
This means that, daily, there are about 20.5 million wash cycles done in washing machines across the UK. Or, 7,500,000,000 a year and, that's the low estimate.
52 door glass failures in four years isn't looking like a reason to panic from more than 29 billion wash cycles".

And a VERY relevant extract, that the media chose to ignore:

"Since this has happened to Miele washing machines as well as much lower priced models from Beko, LG, Zanussi and others, you could be given to think that buying a better quality washing machine will not help here but that likely isn't true."

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 9 Mar 2020 11:54

Lucky you being able to afford it RR. My SIL had one and it is nowhere as good as mine have been anyway.
You really should check the facts before you throw all the outdated B S at us

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 9 Mar 2020 11:56

When pondering about a new machine, I think it's important to think how YOU would use it and buy one that suits your needs.
I have a Bosch.
I wanted variable speeds ( my machine ranges from 400 to 1400 revs ) and wanted a delay start, so that I could load up at night and have washing just finished when I get up, thereby making use of cheaper overnight electricity.
This meant that I needed machine to run fairly quietly.
A wool cycle was another plus.

I know to some I have a weird way of washing clothes.
I mostly wash at 800 speed, then take things out, fold them and re spin at 1400.
The advantage is that I don't need to iron anything.

Washing a normal load at 40 degrees takes just under an hour.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 Mar 2020 12:58

...and all of a sudden, you believe the Daily Express is a truth-telling media outlet,
do you?

I suppose you would, with your gumf about being a landlord.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 9 Mar 2020 13:29

I’d go with Gwyn and say think about your needs. I am pleased with my machine because it does all I want of it. Mine is a Hotpoint. It takes 9 kg which is useful if you have plenty of towels to wash, has a 30 deg fast wash which takes 30 minutes and which I use most of the time, and the spin can be set in 200 rev increments from 400-1600.

Different people will like different makes depending on their past experience. I like Hotpoint as I have never had a problem with them. I will never buy another Beko appliance as I have a dishwasher by them and have never been happy with it and it has now broken down altogether. It’s just horses for courses.

I hope you find exactly what you want.