Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Charles Casey born c. 1888 England

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Charles

Charles Report 3 Feb 2015 21:53

Hello,

My great grandfather was Charles Casey. On all his records his parents are Thomas and Alice Casey (nee: McDonnell/McDonald) His parents came from Ireland, all his siblings were born in Scotland, before and after his 1888 birth. However on all census records his birth is recorded as being in England!

I can not find out where or why, can anybody help please?

All the best,
Charlie McCormack

greyghost

greyghost Report 3 Feb 2015 21:59

1901 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
8, Wallace Street, Clydebank, Old Kilpatrick, Dunbartonshire, Scotland

Learn more

Print transcription Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Thomas Casey Head Married Male 44 1857 Rivetter Ireland
Alica Casey Wife Married Female 45 1856 - Ireland
Martha Casey Daughter Single Female 22 1879 Sewing Machine Polisher Dumbarton, Dunbartonshire, Scotland
Margaret Casey Daughter Single Female 20 1881 Sewing Machine Transferer Dumbarton, Dunbartonshire, Scotland
Joseph Casey Son Single Male 18 1883 Labourer Dumbarton, Dunbartonshire, Scotland
Alica Casey Daughter Single Female 16 1885 House Keeping Dumbarton, Dunbartonshire, Scotland
Charles Casey Son - Male 14 1887 Scholar England <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Thomas Casey Son - Male 11 1890 Scholar Clydebank, Dunbartonshire, Scotland
Agnes Casey Daughter - Female 3 1898 - Clydebank, Dunbartonshire, Scotland
Elizabeth Casey Daughter - Female 0 1901 - Clydebank, Dunbartonshire, Scotland

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Feb 2015 22:00

Have you looked on FreeBMD for his birth ?

Or tried Scotlands People for him too

alviegal

alviegal Report 3 Feb 2015 22:07

1891 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
3rd Floor, Belmont Street, Old Kilpatrick, Dunbartonshire, Scotland

Learn more
Print transcription
Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Thomas Casey Head Married Male 34 1857 Ship Rivitter Ireland
Transcription
Alice Casey Wife Married Female 33 1858 - Ireland
Transcription
Martha Casey Daughter - Female 12 1879 Scholar Dumbarton, Dunbartonshire, Scotland
Transcription
Margaret Casey Daughter - Female 10 1881 Scholar Dumbarton, Dunbartonshire, Scotland
Transcription
John Casey Son - Male 7 1884 Scholar Dumbarton, Dunbartonshire, Scotland
Transcription
Alice Casey Daughter - Female 5 1886 Scholar Dumbarton, Dunbartonshire, Scotland
Transcription
Charles Casey Son - Male 3 1888 - England
Transcription
John Campbell Boarder Unmarried Male 19 1872 Ship Yard Labourer Ireland
Transcription
Michael Campbell Boarder Unmarried Male 21 1870 Ship Yard Labourer Ireland
Transcription
Felix Mallon Boarder Unmarried Male 26 1865 Engineers Labourer Ireland

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Feb 2015 22:08

dad is a ships rivetter maybe he came down to somewhere like Liverpool for work

1891 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
3rd Floor, Belmont Street, Old Kilpatrick, Dunbartonshire, Scotland

Learn more

Print transcription Household Members
Thomas Casey Head Married Male 34 1857 Ship Rivitter Ireland Transcription
Alice Casey Wife Married Female 33 1858 - Ireland Transcription
Martha Casey Daughter - Female 12 1879 Scholar Dumbarton, Dunbartonshire, Scotland Transcription
Margaret Casey Daughter - Female 10 1881 Scholar Dumbarton, Dunbartonshire, Scotland Transcription
John Casey Son - Male 7 1884 Scholar Dumbarton, Dunbartonshire, Scotland Transcription
Alice Casey Daughter - Female 5 1886 Scholar Dumbarton, Dunbartonshire, Scotland Transcription
Charles Casey Son - Male 3 1888 - England >>>>>>>>>>
John Campbell Boarder Unmarried Male 19 1872 Ship Yard Labourer Ireland Transcription
Michael Campbell Boarder Unmarried Male 21 1870 Ship Yard Labourer Ireland Transcription
Felix Mallon Boarder Unmarried Male 26 1865 Engineers Labourer Ireland Transcription
Census details

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Feb 2015 22:10

maybe one of these birth

Births Mar 1887
Casey Charles Baylis Liverpool 8b 82

Births Sep 1887
CASEY Charles Chorlton 8c 857

Births Dec 1887
Casey Charles Sculcoates 9d 176

greyghost

greyghost Report 3 Feb 2015 22:16

There are a number of Charles Casey births in England 1886-1888. Do you know if he had a middle name? You need to try and track them onto the 1891 census to see if any are unaccounted for.
EDIT - also check births versus deaths up to 1891 to eliminate

He is listed as aged 3 on the 1891 census so b 1888 (or 1887) whereas the 1901 has him as 14 so b 1887 (or 1886)

Why born England - I wonder if his Father is in the trade of Ship building whether he moved temporarily to England for a job and the family went too.

greyghost

greyghost Report 3 Feb 2015 22:38

A quick look before bed and i think I can account for (hedging bets but not proved) all 10 of the 1885-1888 births except the Sculcoates one posted by Shirley as either found 1891/1901 census or subsequent deaths

Births Dec 1887

SueBrewer

SueBrewer Report 3 Feb 2015 23:28

Sculcoates is part of Hull I that helps in any way ??? (ref. Ships Rivitter)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Feb 2015 08:32

Can only suggest you check the birth date on his death cert .depending on when this was it may show , or take a chance and get the sculcoates birth certificate

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 4 Feb 2015 13:18

Hello Charles and welcome to the Community boards.

(I'll let Charles know how to find his replies) :-)

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 4 Feb 2015 15:33

Have you checked the 1911 census for a more specific place of birth please?

Charles

Charles Report 4 Feb 2015 16:45

Thanks all who have responded so far. All the census I have, 1891 - 1911 have his birth as England. The 1911, has the number 35 written beside England. I don't know what this means.

DC would mean he was born 1888 or 1889.

Yes the family were involved in ship building. Did this happen in Sculoates? Thanks George

Thanks Greyghost and Shirley for probably narrowing it down

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 4 Feb 2015 17:12

Charles, I would think the number 35 has something to do with the enumerators count for different birthplaces but I could be wrong.

I think Sculcoates is in the Hull area and so would be quite heavily into the shipping industry.

greyghost

greyghost Report 4 Feb 2015 22:46

Google Shipbuilding in Hull/Sculcoates - plenty to find

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 5 Feb 2015 00:41

hi Charles,
I think the sculcoates birth must be the right one, I have checked with the Yorkshire records and he was born in Drypool a small village ajoining Sculcoates. on the banks of the river hull where it joins the humber estuary,and had it's own river basin and swing bridge. ( now replaced with a steel one ) If you google Drypool then images there are some super photos old and new

mgnv

mgnv Report 5 Feb 2015 09:27

Using http://www.yorkshirebmd.org.uk/
Yorkshire Birth indexes for the years: 1887
Surname Forename(s) Sub-District Registers At Mother's Maiden Name Reference
CASEY Charles Drypool Hull DRY/43/192

Here are the 1881 piece #s for Sculcoates RD:
Sutton 4746-4747
Cottingham 4748
Ferriby 4749
Hessle 4750-4751
Hedon 4752
Drypool 4753-4756
East Sculcoates 4757-4758
West Sculcoates 4759-4764

Using Ancestry 1881 census, I looked up the keyword(s) rivet* in the Drypool subdistrict piece #s and got 61 = 29+24+7+1 hits.

Charles

Charles Report 5 Feb 2015 11:17

Thanks all, thanks Elizabeth and mgnv for latest inforation.

So if the record shows Sculoates and he was born in Drypool, would this be returned as Sculoates?

I intend to get the BC now to say yes 100%. Is there nowhere online to see parents names against a record?

I am used to Scotlands People, haven't had to seach English records really. It's frustrating to not see one or other parents name.

Thank you, I am overwhelmed with your assistance.

Best Regards,

Charlie

greyghost

greyghost Report 5 Feb 2015 13:19

Have a good look around the free to use website, at present from 1837 Q3 when civil registration began in England and Wales to approx 1960. It's an ongoing project that will eventually go to about 1983.

http://www.freebmd.org.uk

The following will show in births

Births Dec 1887 (>99%)

The number 176 is posted in blue. Click on that and it gives all the others born that quarter in that RD. Click on Sculcoates also highlighted in blue and it will take you to a page entitled District Information where there is the offer to click on the word "here" again in blue, which will give you the District info. That page will then give you a list of parishes which were part of the Sculcoates RD - amongst them Drypool.

Some Counties have their own bmd sites where you will get mothers maiden name i.e. lancsbmd but they are comparatively few and far between. The Yorkshire one above shown by mgnv gives more info than the GRO index at freebmd, but not the mmn (on the record shown, I don't know if it does on others, maybe only from 1912 when it was shown on the GRO list)

Order certificates from GRO, they are the cheapest, some commercial sites charge much more
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

GRO - Certificate Ordering Service - Registration Services ...
General Register Office - order a birth, marriage or death certificate from only £ 9.25 direct from the Government's official website.

Otherwise you can try another free website which may give you baptisms, GRO birth indexes, marriages and deaths in UK and around the world. Another good site to get to grips with

https://familysearch.org

Charles

Charles Report 6 Feb 2015 14:42

Thanks greyghost and all. I am going to spend some time finding/ruling out the other Charles Caseys and then purchase the Sculcoates. Will feed back in time.

All the Best,

Charlie