Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help for a friend please

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Phyll

Phyll Report 7 Dec 2013 18:54

Trying to find any information on the following: Parents of John Norman Nisbit, (Nesbit, Nisbett) baptised in Cregagh, Belfast in 1914. DOB 18th June 1914. We know father was J. B. Sweeney and Mother Elizabeth Stuart Nisbit. Would like to try and find their dates of birth, any census showing them anywhere in Ireland or England if possible.

Many thanks

Phyll

lostmeboardname

lostmeboardname Report 7 Dec 2013 19:38

marriage of Elizabeth Stuart Nisbet to John Birchall Sweeney took place at Armargh Ireland in 1903

Phyll

Phyll Report 7 Dec 2013 19:42

Very many thanks lostmeboardname. Does the marriage record any of their parents names? Any idea where they were in 1911 please.

Once again my grateful thanks.
Phyll

lostmeboardname

lostmeboardname Report 7 Dec 2013 19:47

found it on FMP - you will need someone with worldwide subscription to look at it for you.
cant see them on the 1911 UK census

Jan

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 7 Dec 2013 19:52

This is the family 1911 Census Ireland.

Residents of a house 18 in Windsor Avenue (Lurgan Urban, Armagh
)
Sweeney John Birehan 34 Male Head of Family Presbyterian Cork Truggist Manager Read and write - Married - 7 1 1
Sweeney Elizabeth Stuart 35 Female Wife Presbyterian Co Antrim - Read and write - - - - - -
Sweeney Ioris Margaret Gibb 5 Female Daughter Presbyterian Co Armagh - - - - - - - -
Fraser David Reid 25 Male Boarder Presbyterian Scotland Dentist Read and write

lostmeboardname

lostmeboardname Report 7 Dec 2013 20:05

in 1918 they were living in Battersea London.
electoral registerJohn Birchall Sweeney
Elizabeth Stuart Sweeney.

living Upper Richmond Road Wandsworth.

still in Upper Richmond Road
7 Riverview Gardens Twickenham
living 357 Napier Road Depford.

Jan

lostmeboardname

lostmeboardname Report 7 Dec 2013 20:09

with his wife living

1933 on his own living Blagdon Road Lewisham she is living in Putney
1934 she is living on her own.
1935 on his own Lansdown Place Lewisham
1937 she is with her son at Clarendon Road Putney

lostmeboardname

lostmeboardname Report 7 Dec 2013 20:13

Elizabeth Stuart Sweeney left a Will
she died 8th March 1947 at a hospital in London.
Administration to son.

Phyll

Phyll Report 7 Dec 2013 20:27

Thank you for all the information. it will be a reat help to my friend. I can't believe how some of you manage to find things as you do. I must be blind or blinking stupid but when I know where to look I can find them. Many, many thanks

Regards

Phyll

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 7 Dec 2013 20:51

Hello Phyll, the only info on FindMyPast is the index of the marriage, there are no details - you'd need to send off for the certificate for that.

Ireland Marriages 1845-1958 Transcription

First Name:John Birchall
Last Name:Sweeney
Year:1903
Registered Quarter/Year:Jan - Mar 1903
Registration District:Armagh
Volume:1
Page:61
Potential Spouse Names:Elizabeth Stuart Nisbet
Record set:Irish Marriages 1845-1958
Category:Birth, marriage, death & parish records
Record collection:Marriages & divorces
Collections from:Ireland

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 7 Dec 2013 21:01

Phyll...Another pair of eyes always helps..We have all been there....!

Here's John 1901....note he is a "Druggist"

Residents of a house 8 in Market Street (Portadown Urban, Armagh)

White Fredk Wm 28 Male Head of Family Episcop Church Armagh Shop Assistant Read and write - Not Married -
***Sweeney John B 25 Male Boarder Presbyt Church Cork Druggist Read and write - Not Married -***
McClean George 20 Male Boarder Episcop Church Armagh Druggist Assistant Read and write - Not Married -
Proctor Thomas 16 Male Boarder Episcop Church Armagh Grocers Apprentice Read and write - Not Married -
Faernon Mary 34 Female Servant R C Armagh Domestic Servant Cook Read and write - Not Married

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 7 Dec 2013 21:09

Elis. and family 1901

Residents of a house 35 in Bridge Street (Portadown Urban, Armagh)

Nisbet James 63 Male Head of Family Father Presbyterian Scotland Gas Works Manager Read and write - Married -
Nisbet Hannah Jane 54 Female Wife Presbyterian County Armagh - Read and write - Married -
**Nisbet Elizabeth Stewart 27 Female Daughter Presbyterian County Antrim School Teacher Read and write - Not Married -***
Hewitt Mary 12 Female Servant Epescipalian County Armagh Servant Read and write

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 7 Dec 2013 21:12

Elizabeths father and an elder sister 1911...

Residents of a house 36 in Edward Street (Portadown Urban, Armagh)

Nisbet James 73 Male Head of Family Presbyterian Scotland Collector of Gas Agent Read and write - Widower - - - -
Nisbet Margeret Gibb 39 Female Daughter Presbyterian Scotland - Read and write - Single

Phyll

Phyll Report 7 Dec 2013 21:12

Thank you MarieCeleste, every lttle bit is of help. My regards to you Eringobragh 1916.

Phyll

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 7 Dec 2013 21:33

Title : Mr
Date of Death : 23 January 1930
Surname : Nisbet
Date of Grant : 24 March 1930
Forename : James
Reseal Date :
Registry : Belfast Effects : Effects £1486 13s 4d
No Image

Full Abstract :
Nisbet James of 41 Edward Street Portadown county Armagh retired gas-works manager died 23 January 1930 at Portadown Probate Belfast 24 March to James Bryson linen manufacturer and William Munro Pettigrew gas works manager. Effects £1486 13s. 4d.

He lived to be a grand age...!!

He also signed the Ulster Covenant.....

Surname Forename(s) Address Division District Place of Signing Agent View
Nisbet James 41 Edward Street Armagh: North Portadown Town Hall Wilson, J N A : Mr

You can find details on the PRONI website for both of the above.....

"Search Will Calenders"
"Ulster Covenant"

Phyll

Phyll Report 7 Dec 2013 21:51

My thanks again Eringobragh 1916. An amazing lot of information so kindly found and given.

Best wishes

Phyll

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 7 Dec 2013 21:55

Phyll....

Havent found any family for John Sweeney (Cork) so far....have searched 1901 census for any Sweeney who is not RC (Co Cork)...only 1 family Simon Sweeney but he is to young also he is RC but wife and children Church of Ire. No Presbyterians...
Checked through the Co Armagh also but nothing coming up....appears John was Pres.before his marriage so discounts change of Rel after his marriage...

alviegal

alviegal Report 7 Dec 2013 22:07

??? I know the age is a bit out?

Ireland, Civil Registration Deaths Index, 1864-1958 about Hannah Jane Nesbitt
Name: Hannah Jane Nesbitt
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1842
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1904
Death Age: 62
Registration District: Lurgan
Death Country: Ireland
Volume: 1
Page: 561
FHL Film Number: 101602

alviegal

alviegal Report 7 Dec 2013 22:29

I think this may be Margaret Gibb, the elder sister.

Residents of a house 22 in Sandy's Street (Newry North Urban, Down)

Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses
Nisbet Margret Gible 25 Female Boarder Presbyterian Mid Calder, Edinburgh Managres's Book and Shoe Establishment Read and write - Not Married -
Lowans John 56 Male Head of Family Church of Ireland Newry, Co Down Postmaster Superannuated Read and write - Married -
Lowans Albert Edward 27 Male Son Church of Ireland London, Middlesex Auxiliary Post Office Read and write - Not Married -
Lowans Ellen Maryann 50 Female Wife Church of Ireland London, Middlesex Nil Read and write - Married -

Had a look on scotlandspeople but not seeing a birth I'm afraid.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 8 Dec 2013 00:55

No I havent come across it either....