General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

hypnotise!!!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pinkie

Pinkie Report 21 Sep 2003 18:26

just had a great idea my mum cant remember inportant details so i thought i could try and get her hypnotized! does anyone know how i would go about this? i think she would agree to it, oh well it was only an idea lol tina

Terence

Terence Report 21 Sep 2003 20:21

It would be kinder to get her an electronic organiser. Don't mess about with hypnotism, it's dangerous. Regards Terry

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 21 Sep 2003 23:33

Hypnotism is a technique for inducing deep state of relaxation. Although a person who has been hypnotised may appear to be asleep, he or she is actually awake and alert but so relaxed he/she is able to tap into feelings and memories deep in the subconscious. The defences are lowered so he/she is more open to suggestion. Disadvantage of hypnotism is that client can become dependent on the therapist. There are techniques for self-hypnosis which may be used for recalling memories. Len

Pinkie

Pinkie Report 22 Sep 2003 10:57

thanks for your reply's i was only joking,i was hypnotised a couple of years ago to stop me smoking ,well i stopped smoking mine but smoked my hubbys instead!the man who did it said the wrong words . well back to square 1 :0)

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 22 Sep 2003 11:33

Tina There are a lot con-men about who pretend to be hypnotists. If you saw a real one, how do you know he didn't pick your pockets or raid your handbag? Len

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 23 Sep 2003 17:08

Viv Actually I type very slow. Because I do it with two fingers. I also read through what I type and correct any mistakes I may spot and that slows it up even more. What does lol mean ? Len

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 23 Sep 2003 17:14

Viv Hypnotism is not very good with giving up cigarettes - or any other drug habit. The trouble is that the subconscious develops a liking for nicotine. The conscious mind might say "give it up, its bad for you" but the right hand side of the brain needs a lot of convincing that something it likes should be given up.. Aversion therapy may work better. Len

Lynne

Lynne Report 23 Sep 2003 17:56

Hi, just nosying and I think I'm hypnotised just by these message boards. I type with only one finger so it takes me ages to send messages too. lol means lots of laughs,well someone told me thats what it means or maybe they were having lol on me!

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 23 Sep 2003 23:25

Lynne Please don't do that. I nearly fell off my chair. Thought you said massage boards. Len

Lynne

Lynne Report 25 Sep 2003 20:26

Hi Len, Hope you didn't hurt yourself! I had to check my spelling when you said that 'cos I know it's one of my weak spots. Anyway I'd rather have a massage than be hypnotised mmmmmmmmmm

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 25 Sep 2003 22:39

Hi Lynne. No, I am not shaken - just stirred. lol. I've been hypnotised a few times and its quite OK, quite a pleasant experience in retrospect - if conducted properly by a qualified person. Did you see the TV programme last night ? Len

Helene

Helene Report 26 Sep 2003 09:41

Hey folks, lol means laughing out loud. And I use self-hypnotise tapes. They're great. lol

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 26 Sep 2003 11:10

Mags I agree about the tapes. I have quite a collection and used to loan them to clients who found them very effective except perhaps for weight loss or drug addiction (eg nicotine). Len

Lynne

Lynne Report 28 Sep 2003 13:27

No hope for me then,better just stick with the massage!! lol.

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 28 Sep 2003 23:25

Lynne There's always hope. Try a massage too. Len

Lynne

Lynne Report 1 Oct 2003 18:17

Hi Len, Ok then, can you lend me a tape!

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 1 Oct 2003 19:16

Hiya - never been on this board before - but thought I would put in my 2 pennyworth. Tired hypnosis once to try to beat the "weed". Very nice guy, very nice room, soft subdued lights and his voice was very very quiet - unfortunately I felt it would hurt his feelings if I didn't appear to under his spell so I "pretended" to be hypnotised. It cost my 16 quid just to make that bugger happy - that was 4 packets of fags!!! I was seething for days and smoked twice as much!! In my next life I'm coming back as a hypnotist - off to take a fag break. Bi bi Jacqui

Lynne

Lynne Report 1 Oct 2003 20:46

That wasn't you ,was it Len?!!!!

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 1 Oct 2003 23:15

Lynne No, it wasn't me, honest. I went on one or two courses on the subject but never became a hypnotist. I experimented on colleagues and it worked. It does need two-way trust and co-operation though. Actually, if it wasn't a long time ago it was very cheap. A session today would probably be about £40. About 25% of the population are easily hypnotised. About 25% are very difficult. The other 50% are somewhere in between. What sort of tape are you looking for? As I said, it is not highly successful with weight reduction and addiction as the subject will not usually subconsciously co-operate. Len

Lynne

Lynne Report 2 Oct 2003 18:46

Hi Len. I was only joking, I don't think I would realy like to try hypnosis.I used to work at the theatre in my local town as an Usherette.The job was great and we got to see most of all the shows,one being Paul macKenna (is that spelt right?) Anyway after seeing people in the audience hypnotised I think It's put me off. Still think I'll stick with a massage. Lynne.