General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

All Replies !!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Francis

Francis Report 1 Nov 2003 17:56

Sincere thanks to all those lovely folk who have sent me good tips in my searches. Unfortunately, there are too many cynics on this site too, i am of course refering to those replies to my post -- This Site ! Nevertheless, thanks again to the genuine replies. On a very short note, it would seem that the sarcastic on here, fail to realise that some folk DO, have occasionally, as in my case, negative quips to make. They are not to be taken as PERSONAL swipes at folk who are unconnected. Finally, my point is further proven by other sarcasm headed- PECKETT's. Happy talking peeps.

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 1 Nov 2003 19:18

Hiya - question? did you ever manage to speak to Sherlock Holmes? because if you didn't manage it, I think I know a man who could put you in touch - e-mail me and I'll give you the gen (don't want everyone to know about it of course, as it's a secret - shhhhh!) Jacqui

Jay

Jay Report 1 Nov 2003 20:29

WELL SAID PECKETT

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 1 Nov 2003 23:14

I don't think any of the responses were cynical, nor sarcastic. However the message you posted had to be regarded with scepticism, hence the tone of the replies.

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Nov 2003 23:31

Basically you were grumpy, so we were wary, and l still am!!! Jude

Helene

Helene Report 2 Nov 2003 03:06

Well said, Kathleen and Jude

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Nov 2003 03:49

I have a question. How could anybody on this site have helped you in your searches when you didn't tell us what it was you were searching? I really would like to know. Unless of course you really are looking for Sherlock Holmes, in which case I must tell you he is purely a figment of Conan Doyle's imagination!

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 2 Nov 2003 08:58

Diana - are you sure? Tongue in cheek Jacqui

Bob

Bob Report 2 Nov 2003 14:30

Whatever are you on about....I thought it was a joke!!!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Nov 2003 15:13

Basically l thought this was a joke also,l knew what l was on about!! sorry if l have confused anyone Jude

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 2 Nov 2003 15:27

Of course it's a joke!! Who would really post a note like that - my quip about Sherlock referred to what I understood to be another joke some days past (which funnily enough is no longer with us - like our ancestors) Lighten up folks - treat the man with humour (as you would a child) Jacqui

Jay

Jay Report 2 Nov 2003 15:38

some people need to take a chill pill. Some things in life aren't worth getting so streesed about. Lifes too short.

Mary

Mary Report 2 Nov 2003 16:26

Story has it that Sherlock Holmes was gay,Why do you think that Professor Moriarty,was always running away from him. Mary

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Nov 2003 16:31

Hi, I don't really think we're stressed by this, just amused and puzzled. I don't think it's a weighty enough issue to get upset about. But being interested in the human psyche, I'd really like to know what this person is all about. A joke is one thing ie Sherlock Holmes, but this latest one is very vituperative, and I can't remember him specifying where he needed help, so who helped him find what? Puzzled and amused in Canada.

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 2 Nov 2003 19:46

I agree with Diana (or at least I think I do, but "vituperative" is beyond me - forgive the ignorance - is that good or bad?) Who said Holmes was gay anyway Peter Bonner? My friend who has his phone number disagrees! Jacqui

Tricia

Tricia Report 2 Nov 2003 20:29

If you really think that this guy is a 'wind up merchant' are you not giving him just what he wants with this thread. Tricia

Mary

Mary Report 2 Nov 2003 20:30

Elementary my dear Jacqui.The High Heeled Shoes and handbag,was a bit of a give away plus Watson always stood behind him.

Gary

Gary Report 2 Nov 2003 20:43

Jacqui Vituperative means an abusive censure. Gary

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 2 Nov 2003 20:53

Thanks Gary - had a feeling it was something nasty; but surely the answer to nastiness is humour? If the guy is incapable of formulating a cohesive reply to questions designed to assist him, then we should all be as dismissive of him as possible, and he will then perhaps desist from his ill-punctuated rantings! Here's hoping anyway. Jacqui

Marcie

Marcie Report 2 Nov 2003 22:12

strewth ! marcie x