General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Guy Fawkes

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 5 Nov 2003 17:27

Ban large fireworks for sale NOW!

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Nov 2003 17:37

Ban all fireworks NOW,just have professional displays - organised!!!! jude

Andy

Andy Report 5 Nov 2003 18:09

It is worrying that they can be bought by just about anyone these days, it's almost as if there are no regulations any longer. Call me a killjoy but I'm not really in favour of fireworks being used on any night other than Bonfire night, unless it is to mark an event of special significance, and I don't mean for something such as Joe Blogg's stag night, etc... There's a place across the valley from where I live and they hold functions and so on in the evening and every so often you'll see fireworks coming from that direction. It's a tad unnecessary and it renders events like Bonfire Night as being meaningless when you see/hear fireworks going off every weekend/month/whenever.

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Nov 2003 18:28

Some clever so and so let a fire work off in Wales somewhere(may even have thrown it,not sure) and it set fire to a pensioners flat - the flat is now ruined and almost everything in it destroyed... Jude

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 5 Nov 2003 18:30

Its been like a war zone here since beginning of October and will probably stay that way till after New Year on and off. You daren't post a letter as putting fireworks in the post box seems to be a matter of huge hilarity. To everyone except firemen, local residents, those with brains etc. The kids love them which is fair enough, but there is no need for these ones that sound like bombs every 2 mins. The other day I was woken at 6.15 by a string of explosions, and they go one at night till 1.00 most days. As soon as school is finished they start. Caaaalm... Sorry ..... ranting!! Maz in the East End. XX

Susan

Susan Report 5 Nov 2003 18:47

Why celibrate him anyway he Failed Sue

Susan

Susan Report 5 Nov 2003 18:50

Sorry about the spelling its like a mortar range outside sue

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Nov 2003 18:57

I live on a hill on an estate, and can see 6 seperate lots of fireworks going off in people's gardens - not displays, just the random setting off of pops and bangs. The problem is, as I live on the hill, these blasted (forgive the pun) things come down in my small garden before they've finished, and are either still burning or worse, they then explode. I have had to go out half a dozen times in the last few days to make sure the rabbit's hutch has not caught fire. As for the cat, I think she's quivering under a bed somewhere.

Kay

Kay Report 5 Nov 2003 19:23

Agre with you all - TOTAL ban. Doesn't make me popular with one of the mums at nursery though, her husband owns 2 fireworks factories in the Far East that have financed a HUGE house on a posh new estate. Kay

BrianW

BrianW Report 5 Nov 2003 19:56

Banning them is treating the symptom, not the disease. It's the fact that there ARE idiots around that's the problem, and that's society's fault, not the fireworks. Alcohol causes far, far more deaths and injuries than fireworks, so if you ban fireworks you should logically ban alcohol as well.

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ*

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ* Report 5 Nov 2003 20:19

I'm for a TOTAL BAN fireworks should only be available to those who hold a licence. We have had telephone booths blown to pieces - a policeman was badly injured by this. Had them fired directly at buildings.....and lit under cars. I am SICK AND TIRED Of the huge explosions we have to put up with night after night. My Jack Russell Terrier is in an absolute frenzy right now, and has been for the last week with all the explosions. Can't drug him for weeks on end!!! A cousin in Canada tells me they are completely banned there, except for licence holders. This was because of the misuse of fireworks with kids throwing them at houses and putting them into the petrol tanks of cars. We are not talking about the penny bangers we had as kids! These are mega fireworks!!! On saturday I went to a neighbours house and complained. Asked if they realised that it was only November 1st and November 5th was actually Guy Fawkes! I was screamed and shouted at, called an Old Cow and told to "Get Off My Land!!" All the rules that are supposed to be coming out about banning loud fireworks and only selling to over 18's!!! Whose going to police them??? What total rubbish!!

Yvette

Yvette Report 5 Nov 2003 23:00

I have been anti fireworks since as a young child i saw a young hooligan throw a lit firework into a babys pram as his mum was waiting to cross the road. Luckily it did no damage to the child, but the mother was in a hell of a state. This is not a problem of the youth of today, however it is getting worse by the year by greedy companies pushing their 'bigger,better, cheaper' products on us. Elderly, younger children and animals suffer terribly now that this so called celebration goes on for weeks. I agree the policing of sales is a problem, but surely shops can be targeted to make sure they dont sell these dangerous items, after all guns were banned for the same reason.....dangerous in the wrong hands and all that. Organised displays are the only safe way to let people have the choice of celebrating this event, or avoiding it if they so wish! OK I'm off my soapbox now ;-)

Carol

Carol Report 5 Nov 2003 23:30

I have been listening to fizz, pop, bang since it got dark. It has gone quiet now, so maybe I can take the dog out. He has had his legs crossed for hours. It seems silly to me, that replica guns etc are confiscated, yet anyone can walk into a shop and buy explosives (that is what fireworks are) There should be organised, licensed displays only.

Susan

Susan Report 5 Nov 2003 23:43

I agree with you they should be banned except for displays, and its not just the animals we have to worry about its also the ex-service personel who suffer with PTSD my hubby is one of said sufferers and what with him jumping the dog jumping i've had another fun filled month. sue

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Nov 2003 02:40

Thank goodness we only have the one night here for fireworks, Hallowe'en. That's bad enough, but at least they're over and done with after a week. However I'd agree with anyone who says Ban them. My daughter's friend Bill saw what he thought were a large group of early- teen aged trick or treaters walking up his driveway, so opened the door to them, and they immediately tossed in firecrackers, which melted holes all over his carpet, melted holes into his friend's suit and melted his nylon track pants on to his leg. Luckily he could move fast and put them out, but these kids had been doing this all evening. Imagine what could have happened if they had picked older people , slower moving and maybe with a weak heart. Needless to say the police are hot on their trail. But things like this happen every year with worse consequences!! And they're sure not banned in this part of Canada!!

Susan

Susan Report 6 Nov 2003 03:00

the only good thing that has come out of this this last four weeks is the confusion for the local drugs dealers , when they get a new shipment in they let off one firework the local druggies must be going spare lol. sue

George

George Report 6 Nov 2003 08:32

We have had fireworks every night since the middle of August. Last night they lasted until gone midnight with explosions going off every second. Eventually the dog wore himself out and just fell asleep. We have a firework shop here that is open every Friday all year round so we have the odd bang at any time and its not unheard of to have them at 5 in the morning. Same as Sue they are also used by drug dealers, is it a Lincolnshire thing. I say ban them completely. George

Allie

Allie Report 6 Nov 2003 09:37

I am of the same opinion with respect to controlling the sale of fireworks to those who are having proper organised displays. I spent most of last night trying to calm down two very frightened little boys who could not get to sleep as it was so loud. The poor things were actually shaking. Not every child loves fireworks! Allie.

Andy

Andy Report 10 Nov 2003 21:13

They've just stopped tonight. However, my parents were out shopping today in the supermarket, when they heard a tannoy announcement advertising fireworks being sold for half price. It annoyed them greatly as our youngest dog has been on edge these last few days. No wonder we have idiots setting them off all the time, if supermarkets are cheerfully advertising them after Guy Fawkes night has passed.

Maureen

Maureen Report 10 Nov 2003 23:35

A TOTAL BAN IS NEEDED WE HAVE HAD ABOUT EIGHT WEEKS OF IT NOW AND THEY ARE STILL GOING OFF AS I TYPE, I DONT THINK THERE IS ANY BONFIRE NIGHT ANY MORE. A HOUSE NEAR ME HAD THE BEDROOM ON FIRE THE WEEKEND WHEN A ROCKET WENT THROUGH THE WINDOW.