General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

new visitor

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Clare

Clare Report 22 Nov 2003 16:07

Hi i'm new to this site and i'm afraid i find it a bit of a rip off not being able to leave a message on the trying to find board without first having to upgrade which means having to pay. Not everyone has the money to spend. And its a shame that i will have to go else where. As this site looks very good otherwise. Clare

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 22 Nov 2003 19:11

Hello Claire. Its a shame that you feel so hard done by. This site has value for money. You will find as you trawl through other websites, that this is a very cheap website to belong to,compared to others, considering the information & support that you get here. You have obviously found something interesting on this site, as you wanted to use the trying to find board. I wish you good luck in your search for another much cheaper website, & I hope that you decide to join G.C in the future. Elaine x

Pinkie

Pinkie Report 22 Nov 2003 20:32

hi clare its a shame if you dont give gc a try its the best £5 you will ever spend trust me, besides the fantastic friendly people you get to meet who are always there weather to help guide you or just to natter too. after 20 years searching for my dad with the help of people on this site not only am i now in contact with my dad but a brother and 7 aunts and uncles,nieces and nephew. i only joined a few months ago! hope you do give it a go might see you on the members board tinaxx

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Nov 2003 00:45

Hi Clare, I came to this site through Friends reunited, which I haven't paid the £5 for. I paid for this site and although I haven't actually extended my family tree, I have found distant relations,and extended their family trees. It is, after all, just the cost of a bottle of wine, or 60p a month - less than a decent 'phone call. The chat and friendliness is beyond price. I suppose it depends on what you want out of life. Maggie

Crista

Crista Report 23 Nov 2003 03:13

Clare, Are you sure you need to be a member to add a Trying To Find? I became a member a few weeks ago and, before I did, I was able to add messages. Crista

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Nov 2003 10:22

I have a second unpaid membership to which I have just added a trying to find message without any problem!! It's the best £5 I have ever spent. New membership is now £7.50. I don't know where else you could get such value and entertainment for this amount? And not to mention the many friends that you make along the way..... Regards Margaret

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 24 Nov 2003 09:41

AWW come on Clare, give it a try it's worth it honest, I have had and given a lot of help also have found 3 distant cousins throught this site, everyone is friendly and you will be missing out!1 Ann,Darlington

Margaret

Margaret Report 24 Nov 2003 11:06

Clare Get real! In this life you don't get anything for nothing. What is £7.50 for a whole years membership? If you are serious about finding your family tree, you will soon find out that this hobby is going to cost you money sometime. Whatever hobby you have it costs money at some time. This site costs nothing compared to the costs of Ancestry etc. Margaret

Janet

Janet Report 24 Nov 2003 12:30

Clare I've got to add my two-pennyworth here. I agree with everything that everyone else has said. It has been the best £5 I've ever spent, and I'll certainly be willing to pay £7.50 to renew my membership in a couple of months time. Not only have I found two relations - both of them are descended from my grandfather's siblings - but I have had so much help and advice from more experienced researchers ...... and that is priceless!! Without these tips, I wouldn't have even half the information I've managed to acquire.

Barbara

Barbara Report 24 Nov 2003 17:10

Yes, I too was cautious at first about spending the money, but after looking at other sites this is really value for money and I will renew with out question. I have not found any close relatives but have been able to extend one branch of my family tree thanks to GC. Also find everyone here very helpful!

Pamela

Pamela Report 25 Nov 2003 03:15

I pay about $13 dollors for this site as i live in Canada, i think it is a good price to pay, my husband and i have made contact with friends that we have not seen or spoke to in years, keep the good work up friendreunited.

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 25 Nov 2003 12:16

HHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmm... Pamela I think youv'e got the wrong website! You are talking about Friends Reunited, This website is Genesconnected! Both are very good though, but I love this site the most! The message boards on g.c. are much more grown up compared to the Friendsreunited ~~~well sometimes.....he he ! :-))

Claire

Claire Report 25 Nov 2003 17:12

You can leave a trying to find message without being a full time member,im new and have just left a message

Margaret

Margaret Report 25 Nov 2003 17:42

Interesting to see that Clare hasn't responded to our comments !! Margaret

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Nov 2003 21:45

Hi Clare,I too, recommend joining GC. On this web site you can look for ancestors, find current relatives, enjoy a friendly chat, make many new friends, get help when you are stuck, help others, contribute to a poet's pot, and much more. All this for 5 pounds. I should mention too that one of my ancestral names is Arnold. Hope to see your name on the site again. Di.

Mary

Mary Report 25 Nov 2003 23:24

It seems to me every couple of weeks some one starts a wind up,a few weeks ago it was the bloke about Sherlock Holmes.I think that this is one as well.Clare is not stupid and if she has looked about,value for money there is nothing to beat G/C. I bet shes sitting back thinking got them all going again. Mary

Mary

Mary Report 25 Nov 2003 23:34

Lynda. I would agree say no more let her get on with it.Her lost. Mary

Brian

Brian Report 25 Nov 2003 23:55

I paid £7.50 about a month ago and, as yet, I haven't got round to looking for more relatives...but I've met some wonderful people who might point me in the right direction when I do!! For the money I spent I have had excellent value already. Thanks everybody concerned...you know who you are! xxx

Margaret

Margaret Report 26 Nov 2003 12:17

I think it's a wind up too, that's why I made the comment about her lack of response Margaret

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 26 Nov 2003 13:55

Wind up or not, Its lovely that its got all of us singing GenesConnected's praise, and each others! Elaine x