General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Look ups please, if anyone can. I

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 28 Nov 2003 20:14

Can anyone [or several of you!] do a look up for :- Tom Stringer Deakin, in censuses for 1871, 1891, 1901, please [I have 1881 census now, in case I can help anyone]. Tom, my gr.granddad, married mid 1869 - last living record I can find. He is nowhere to be found on the 1881. Death is recorded at mid 1918 - need to find where in intervening period. If no records, will conclude he did actually go to Oz. But when, and Why? and he obviously came back. A thought just occurred - if he was in prison here, who would record that for the censuses.? Any one know? Badger Bill Worthing A BIG THANK YOU, AND APOLOGIES

Emma

Emma Report 28 Nov 2003 20:40

Bill, There are a few Tom Deakins on the 1891 census - what area of the country are we looking at? Emma.

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 28 Nov 2003 20:51

Hi Emma, Thanks for that - area, well, difficult! Gr.grmothers side of the family are mainly Sussex. Gr.grdad Tom, married in Poplar. London, where my grdad was born shortly after! That was 1869. Next record of gr.grdad is his death in 1918, in Hampshire. The clue has to lie in his middle name Stringer. Surname is only Deakin, not a double barrelled name, although it looks that way. I am guessing that Stringer may be his mother's maiden name. I haven.t any access to the censuses I mentioned. Ok, so the 1901 is available on line, but I haven.t mastered it's intricasies yet!! Thanks Badger Bill Worthing

Emma

Emma Report 28 Nov 2003 20:56

Bill, The Tom Deakin's are Deakin, Tom 27 Witton, Cheshire Head Witton Cheshire Deakin, Tom 11 Tamworth Son Bolehall and Glascote Warwickshire Deakin, Tom 7 Rednall, Warwickshire Son Stoke Prior Worcestershire Deakin, Tom 9 Sheffield Sonin-law Brightside Bierlow Yorkshire Deakin, Tom 52 Bradford, Yorkshire Boarder Halifax Yorkshire Deakin, Tom 24 Monk Bretton, Yorkshire Head Monk Bretton Yorkshire Deakin, Tom H 8 Sheffield, Yorkshire Grandson Sheffield Yorkshire Deakin, Tom Hudson 7 Kimberworth, Yorkshire Son Balby with Hexthorpe Yorkshire That's without checking for any soundex - do you have his wife's name for a cross reference or your Grandfather's name?

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 28 Nov 2003 21:08

Hi Emma Gr.grdad's wife was named Dorcas. Again quite distintive, but I am beginning to beleive he either left the country, or was maybe in prison! [If so, what for?] Thank you for the list from 1891, he may well be one of them. There are more Deakin's in the midlands & northwards than there are here in Sussex. Badger Bill Worthing

Emma

Emma Report 28 Nov 2003 21:16

Bill, Think I've found Dorcas Dorcas Deakin, head, mar, 52, wife of footman, Sussex Littlington Thomas H Deakin, son, sing, 21, agricultural labourer, London Poplar Nr Plow & Harrow Inn?, Littlington, Sussex

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 28 Nov 2003 21:23

Lucy - if you're still looking in - what year did you find info in - i've not come across a Littlington in Sussex? Sue.

Emma

Emma Report 28 Nov 2003 21:25

Hi Sue, It's from the 1891 census - I've just checked definitely says Littlington

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Nov 2003 21:29

Bill - l have credits for 1837 online, can l do look ups there?? Jude

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 28 Nov 2003 21:29

Ooops should have put me reading specs on - i have just found it in English Place names - recorded in 1199 but spelt Litlington. Sue.

Emma

Emma Report 28 Nov 2003 21:31

Don't worry Sue - It's spelt both ways on the schedule - the part for place of birth is Litlington but on the district name it's spelt Littlington.

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 28 Nov 2003 21:32

Hi Jude, Yes please. Every little bit I can find will help. Thank you very much. Badger Bill Worthing

Emma

Emma Report 28 Nov 2003 21:33

Bill, Dorcas is also on the 1901 census - in Alfriston, East Sussex

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 28 Nov 2003 21:35

Hi Lucy & Sue Yes, it is Litlington, East Sussex [just sussex in old records]. One t only. North of South Downs, inland from Eastbourne. Group of olde villages, Alfriston being main one, Litlington and Lullington being nearby. Hey, do you think I could get a job as travel agent. Badger Bill Worthing

Emma

Emma Report 28 Nov 2003 21:38

Bill, I was born in Horsham and I've never heard of it!

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 28 Nov 2003 21:40

Hi Lucy, Your brilliant. I have Dorcas in Litlington on 1881, age 44, with Thomas Henry, age 11 [my grandfather]. Living with her parents. Can you fill in any further details please. Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 28 Nov 2003 21:43

Hi Lucy Local girl then. Litlington is a very small hamlet, time has passed it by. But has a large garden centre! Very ancient. Where are you now? Badger Bill Worthing

Emma

Emma Report 28 Nov 2003 21:43

Archie Deakin, 6, Litlington Arthur Deakin, 2, Alfriston Daisy Deakin, 11m, Alfriston Dorcas Deakin, 58 Litlington Edith Deakin, 24, Chiddingley Elsie Deakin, 5, Litlington Thomas Deakin, 31, London Cubit Town Violet Deakin, 3, Litlington These are the Deakins in Alfriston on 1901 census

Emma

Emma Report 28 Nov 2003 21:44

Bill, I'm in West Yorkshire now - Kirkburton just outside of Huddersfield. Emma.

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 28 Nov 2003 21:52

Hi again Lucy, Just read list for Alfriston, they are all relatives. Aunts/Uncles, Grandad, gr.granma. Dorcas is a puzzle - her age changes each time I make a connection. First connection indicated she was born in 1836 [can find no GRO reference to birth] 1881 census indicates birth in 1835, but now 1901 would indicate birth as 1843! I am now signing off for the night - need to get home - have been minding granchildren. Will probably be off line til Monday evening, so to all you good people checking things out for me, no I am not ignoring you, every scrap of info is vital to me, but I will not be back on line as stated, til Monday evening, when this will be my first stop. Good night everyone, thank you Badger Bill Worthing