General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Let Battle Commence

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Dec 2003 13:12

It has become apparent that many members want a National Get-Together. Now the fun begins. WHERE IN THE UK WILL IT BE? Suggestions written neatly on a £10 note and sent to me please. Or if not, Put them here. Jim

Angelic Alaina

Angelic Alaina Report 4 Dec 2003 13:19

Nice try Jim!!!! I think anywhere in the country would do but a city would be better because then people could get there easy enough on public transport. George I have to say Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle, London, Bristol etc all have similar things to offer so we can't just consider one city, just because its got 2 rail stations etc so as Manchester & London has more!! and all the above cities have airports, we've got to consider them all, I don't mean to sound funny but I'm sure other people will agree. Alaina

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 4 Dec 2003 13:20

Have to agree the Midlands would seem to be the most central for everyone - though as the country is not circular some would obviously be nearer than others. I would second George's suggestion, for much the same reason - though I think Manchester might have something to say about which is the so-called 'second city'! lol Kathleen

Jen

Jen Report 4 Dec 2003 13:28

i think birmingham would be ok cause i live near there lol but dont think it is central enough for everyone as we are all over the uk manchester is also a nice city as i found yesterday but you can make it cannock so i dont get stranded at train stations lol

Angelic Alaina

Angelic Alaina Report 4 Dec 2003 13:38

Jen I was still with She at Victoria when you sent that text thru, what time did you get home hun? By the way found the email you sent me you were asking if I wanted to be included on the list for M/cr Alaina xx

Cathy

Cathy Report 4 Dec 2003 13:39

Please no battles!!! I don't mind where it is as long as it is accessible to the majority of people who want to go. I would also like to suggest that those with cars try to team up with those who wouldn't be able to get there (wherever it is) without a lift. If we choose the North West, would be happy to help organise. Cathy

Anna

Anna Report 4 Dec 2003 13:43

I would have to say Scotland,as I live here but obviously,a lot of people live in England so the journey is too far. I agree with Alaina however in saying that many other cities have the same to offer and if not more than Birmingham. I dont drive and I am scared of flying lol,but could make it to Newcastle(about 140 miles on train.)Furthest south I could get to would be maybe Lancashire Anna

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Dec 2003 13:49

Nobody is even mentioning the costs involved. I know I can save fares and overnight accomodation if there is plenty warning.

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 4 Dec 2003 14:56

On a personal note I would prefer London, after all it is the Capital (only of england and it's only 20 mins by train). But seriously i realise that for obvious reasons this is not pracitcal. I have just checked that coach site and by booking in advance you can can a return from London Victoria to Manchester for £19 , which i feel is reasonable. And thats coming from someone who hasn't much spare cash!!! P'haps GC should choose then If you can make it you can and if you can't, well you can't. Where ever is choosen there be some people who can't make it. The main point is plenty of advance warning so we can take advantage of early bookings etc and arrange child or pet care etc Shelli

Sue

Sue Report 4 Dec 2003 17:46

Jim We were talking about a day/weekend 'GC Genealogy Conference' on the Members Board several days ago and suggested somewhere central (the Midlands seems the most sensible being 'middle England'). The idea was put forward that stallholders who attend the FH Fairs could be invited to participate and perhaps talks from people like Anthony or other genealogists. I've attended similar things organised by the English Bridge Union that were solely for Online Bridge Players (hubby, not me!) where you book and pay for the Conference (or whatever you like to call it) to cover meals etc, with overnight accommodation etc as a separate issue to be arranged by the individual. I hope it comes to fruition. Sue

Ann

Ann Report 4 Dec 2003 18:00

Great Idea - it would be good to meet others researching in the same areas (I mean researching people from the same areas). I would prefer London and not because I live in the South. I actually live in Aberdeen so am probably one of the most northerly members. But there is no way you are all going to come here or anywhere close (its a 2.5 hr drive from here just to get to Edinburgh). So I would have to fly. (Yes I can travel by train - but last time I did Birmingham it was about 8 hours - and days leaving husband with 2 small children are dearly bought). It is much cheaper for me to fly to London than anywhere else. (Don't ask me why the shorter flights to Manchester, Birmingham etc are much more expensive). There are also far more flights so that timings are easier. I would imagine that the same might apply to other people in Scotland and possibly SW England. Another benefit is that I could combine with a visit to PRO. But wherever - I'd echo other peoples comments - the more notice the better. Ann

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Dec 2003 07:47

Jim Lad Birmingham sounds great to me - what about the when. I feel Spring to Early summer might be best, not too busy then and perhaps not a half term etc or the other end of summer to Autumn!!! I'll see you tomorrow anyway,talk about it then!!! :)) Jude

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Dec 2003 07:59

Correct me if I am wrong - but I thought it was GC who were organising it???????

Sue

Sue Report 5 Dec 2003 09:20

She Is that what you were intimating the other day? You obviously know more than most. Sue

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Dec 2003 09:24

no - twasnt about that but from what i read on the boards etc after the guildford meeting it certainly appeared that it was going to be organised by GC themselves :-)

Fi aka Wheelie Spice

Fi aka Wheelie Spice Report 5 Dec 2003 09:50

I would like to make a suggestion. Don't care really where it is as long as there were adequate and reasonably priced places to stay overnight like Travel Inn's and also importantly for me is that the venue has wheelchair access. A weekend would be fantastic so we wouldnt have to book time off work. Fi

Bob

Bob Report 5 Dec 2003 10:02

This may sound daft but with the stupid way air fairs are calculated I bet it would be cheaper for a lot of people if the venue was not in the UK at all. How about Spain, Portugall or France? Bob

Angelic Alaina

Angelic Alaina Report 5 Dec 2003 13:24

I'll go with you on that one Bob! You might have a point tho sometime it seems cheap to leave the country than stay in it plus if we go in the summer time it'll be nice and hot lol Alaina X

Sue

Sue Report 5 Dec 2003 14:13

Sorry She, misinterpreted your comments! Fi (I think) - Travelodge or similar in close proximity sounds like a good idea! Sue

Zoe

Zoe Report 5 Dec 2003 14:37

I think most hotel chains do very good group discounts and are used to arrangements whereby people would book and pay individually whilst taking advantage of the agreed rate for that meeting. The Britannia in Manchester certainly does from memory and they have a choice of the hotel in the town centre and the lovely country House Hotel which is out by the airport