General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any Claims to fame in your trees?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

www.Siouxhealer

www.Siouxhealer Report 10 Feb 2004 17:14

Was just wondering..... do any of you have any claims to fame in your trees, major or minor? Mine is the Jaccob Wilson the last town crier of Birmingham was my Gt x ? Grandfather. Not hugely famous, but I was excited when I found out! :) Sioux

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Feb 2004 17:21

My husbands gtgtgrandfather won the Grand National in 1844!

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 10 Feb 2004 17:45

Mine is Geoff Hurst the footballer

Debbi

Debbi Report 10 Feb 2004 17:51

i have Cary Grant the actor.He is my grandads cousin.Well he would be if he was alive. Debbi

Patsy

Patsy Report 10 Feb 2004 20:03

My grandmother sang for Edward VII and Queen Alexandra. She was also the WW1 version of Vera Lynn, a "forces sweetheart". Patsy

Pumphrey

Pumphrey Report 10 Feb 2004 20:30

I hope Clare's husbands gt gt grandfather was the rider and not the horse?!?

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Feb 2004 21:01

Yes Pamela he was the jockey, the whole family were jockeys. Also his grandson was the butler to Ian Fleming and one of the Bond charachters was based on him.

Pumphrey

Pumphrey Report 10 Feb 2004 21:07

That's sounds exciting. Unfortunately I haven't yet found anyone of great interest in my tree but my grandfather told my borther and I that the captain of the titanic was our gr gr grandfather. Considering my grandfather was from the outer hebrides and the captain of the titanic was from stoke-on-trent this was of course a fabrication but I believed it for many years. Maybe someone will crop up...

www.Siouxhealer

www.Siouxhealer Report 10 Feb 2004 22:13

Hi Lynda Try this link for more info on Charles Lamb and his sister http://www.online-literature(.)com/lamb/ This is interesting .... keep 'em comming folks :) Sioux

47551 Report 10 Feb 2004 22:21

Not famous but I think he must have been related to Uncle Albert from 'Only fools and Horses'. My GGrandfather was shipwrecked 3 times and survived all of them. Still trying to find out more about him but that brick wall is in the way!!! Nesta

T J

T J Report 10 Feb 2004 22:27

My g.g.grandfather & g. grandfather used to make Turtle soup for Buckingham Palace does this count?

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 10 Feb 2004 22:53

My grandmother claimed Sir William H Preece Bt as a relative (well, she would wouldn't she) although I have found no evidence whatsoever of a connection.

Sue

Sue Report 11 Feb 2004 09:58

My Gt-grandfather's sister was Dame Clara Butt's first music teacher, but supposedly NOT the one who recognised her amazing singing voice. There is also a remote connection somewhere to Sandeman Port and Force breakfast cereal. Sue

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Feb 2004 10:07

Have a distant cousin who was a professional footballer in the 30's I think, George Henson, played for Wolves amongst other clubs... Nothing more recent or more interesting yet though !

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 11 Feb 2004 10:20

Apparently one of my rellies, Jack Hale, was a bit of a local celebrity in his time (beginning of last century). He was a fantastic swimmer and won lots of competitions and swam accross the River Humber on several occassions. As my Grandad gets a bit confused these days I'm not quite sure what relation he is to me yet. The latest guess is 2 x great Uncle! Jeanette

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 11 Feb 2004 10:53

Jimmy Greaves the ex footballer, He is apparently my grandads, cousins, son. Elaine x

karen in the new forest

karen in the new forest Report 11 Feb 2004 15:29

my greatgrandmother was mary apperley her uncle or grandfather charles apperley was a famous sorts writer called nimrod got some scandle there as he had to leave the country but came back before he died in london. karen

Sue

Sue Report 11 Feb 2004 17:24

My father-in-laws cousin played for Spurs, I think in the 1930s or 1940s. Jack(?) Gibbs. Sue

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 11 Feb 2004 19:01

My wife's grandad was the cousin of scupturer Henry Moore's grandad. Moore was born just accross the road from where I now live. I think his work is rubbish though ( suppose I can say that being related) Bob

Marjorie

Marjorie Report 12 Feb 2004 19:32

My Grt Grandfather is supposed to have helped a Nun escape from a convent in Suffolk, so the story told to me he put her in a cart and rode to the railway station at Manningtree. His name was Charles Thomas Clark there was a book written about the escape but the Man was referred to as Henry in the book so I dont know for sure. Marjorie