General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

saturday morning pictures

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynn

Lynn Report 30 Mar 2004 07:39

Did any of you go to Saturday morning pictures as a kid? Mine was the ABC in Essex Road Islington in the late 50s I used to have 1/-(One shilling a week pocket money) if I went downstairs in the stalls it cost 6d (sixpence) but up in the gods was 9d (Ninepence) so once we made up our mind where we would sit we then knew how much we could spend in the "home made sweet shop" we passed on the way. A bag of honeycombe or treacle toffee was 3d..things never tasted so good and ooohhhhh the toffee apples fresh and crisp, makes my mouth water thinking of them...any other memories?

Susanne

Susanne Report 30 Mar 2004 08:09

My brother and I used to go every Saturday to Enfield Town and it cost 5p to get in. We often try to remember what we watched and the one that keeps coming to mind is The Three Musketeers, the French version with the very bad English dubbing!

Jan

Jan Report 30 Mar 2004 08:25

Dont remeber the Sat morning ones ,but do remember you used to get a whole mini film before the actual one you went to see! Jan x

BillinOz

BillinOz Report 30 Mar 2004 09:00

Yes I remember, 4d it cost me, or 4 jam jars, Flash Gordon, Tom Mix, Roy Rogers, them were the days. couldnt buy sweets.

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Mar 2004 09:03

I used to go to Saturday morning pictures as a kid at the ABC Ritz cinema in Clapton, East London. Before the film show started we all had to sing this song:- "We are the girls and boys well known as Minors of the ABC And every Saturday all line up To see the films we like and should aloud with glee. We like to laugh and have a sing song What a happy crowd are we We're all pals together We're minors of the ABC." Did anyone else sing this? Or am I the only one? Later on my sons went too. Kathy

SueinKent

SueinKent Report 30 Mar 2004 16:50

The song we sang was: We come along on Saturday morning greeting everybody with a smile We come along on Saturday morning knowing that it's all worth while it does go on for a few more lines, but I can't remember, it was soooo long ago. The last line though was "greeting everybody with a smile, smile, smile. I'll ask hubby when he comes in he may remember. The cinema I went to was the Astoria in the Old Kent Road, it was 6d. Sue

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Mar 2004 17:37

Sue, I think it was 6p at the ABC too - think my parents were glad to get rid of me for a few hours. lol :-)) Kathy

SueinKent

SueinKent Report 30 Mar 2004 17:43

Mine too Kathy

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC)

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 30 Mar 2004 17:47

It was...." The 3d. Rush" for me..... And we had to leave our toy guns with the Usherette...Grr :((

Gwen

Gwen Report 30 Mar 2004 17:48

Sue G. We sang the same song and I cant remember the missing lines either. I went to the Gaumont-Peckham, not far from the Old Kent Road. I think it was 6d.

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Mar 2004 21:01

saturday morning picture show boy oh boy where for a tanner you got pure joy. Roy Rogers and Trigger, Dale Evans too the Bowery boys to name a few. Flash Gordan and merciless Ming King Kong, and Rin Tin Tin we cheered our heroes, of which there were many ate gob stoppers bought for a penny. There in the dark, adventure was rife. as cowboys fought duels in fear of their life. we laughed at Charlie the sad little clown and laurel and hardy wearing slapstick's crown. Nostalgia has me in its grip how I loved the saturday trip was pure magic for me to go to the sixpenny picture show. Terri Morrow.

Lynn

Lynn Report 30 Mar 2004 23:54

Terri.....such memories, How they finished each week on a cliff hanger that you had to fo back the following Saturday to find out how they got out of it.I remember the tune of the song and tonight while cooking dinner I was singing it,How sad is that ...la la la la la la la laa la Lynn

Aileen

Aileen Report 31 Mar 2004 07:31

I loved Saturday morning pictures at the Odeon, Barking Road, East Ham when I was about 8 in 1965. Can't remember whether it cost 6d or a shilling though. Before the films began all the girls used to take turns and dance on the stage (so funny to recall) in front of the audience! I remember a particular film that was split into 6 sessions about a group of kids who found clues to the whereabouts of some treasure. We were rivetted to the screen- the diction was poor so we had to guess what the cast were talking about most of the time but it didn't matter!! There was a new clue each week so you were compelled to return the next!! Aileen

Janet

Janet Report 31 Mar 2004 14:37

Ha yes those cliff hangers,when they went over a cliff at the end of a film we really thought they had and could not wait till next week to see what had happened to them,there they were hanging onto a twig that just happened to be sticking out of the cliff.Great memories. Jan

Janet

Janet Report 31 Mar 2004 23:40

Yes, I remember it well! The Saturday morning flicks in the 1950's! Mum would give me 1/-. 6d for the bus fare, 3d to get in and 3d for a lolly or some sweets in the interval. It was known as the 'birthday club', as when we joined (think it was 3d for life membership!) we gave them our date of birth, name and address. On our birthday we received a birthday card and a ticket for free entry to the pictures on the following Saturday. Everyone who had a birthday during the previous week was called out to the front and the rest of them had to sing 'Happy Birthday' to them. We would have some cartoons first - something like Woody Woodpecker, or Tom and Jerry. Then it would be Flash Gordon ( I remember the Clay Men very well!) and then it would be the big film, which could be anything - a cowboy or comedy, and sometimes, something like 'The Blob' with such awful special effects that they made us all laugh. (Not frightening at all!) I mention The Blob because someone shouted out that it looked like warm jam - which it did! Aaah! The memories! Janet

Katinahat

Katinahat Report 12 Apr 2004 01:56

I used to go to the local cinema in Southfields. Also known affectionately as the'fleapit'. About a dozen children from my estate would go. But only a few paid to go in. The rest waited by the fire exits, outside, for the doors to be opened by our compadres and then we would make our way to the stalls. I can remember throwing a jubbly and being told off by the usherette. Still have a great love for popcorn. If my son goes to the movies he always brings me home some popcorn. If I go to the movies I finish the box! Oh happy days Kathy

badger

badger Report 12 Apr 2004 10:40

Hi Sue g, as members of the odeon club we all intend to be, good citizens as we grow up ,thats our philosophy, we come along on saterday ------------,that it? remembered from the odeon club in high wycombe yep those were the days.Denis tfn Newcastle.

SueinKent

SueinKent Report 12 Apr 2004 10:48

Denis - That's it. It has been driving me mad not being able to remember. Sue G.

badger

badger Report 12 Apr 2004 12:21

only trouble is Sue ,we are showing our age ,terrible ain,t it. Denis.

SueinKent

SueinKent Report 12 Apr 2004 13:52

Tell me about it!!!! Sue