General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Are they mad or what?

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SueinKent

SueinKent Report 4 Apr 2004 06:22

My hubby and 2 sons got up at 5.15 this morning to travel up to Manchester to watch Millwall v Sunderland, WHY it's on T.V. it's not the same they tell me. Apparently I am the mad one for not going with them!! Sue

Trish

Trish Report 4 Apr 2004 07:12

Hi Sue, they're the mad ones. Why go out in the cold to stand around for a few hours to watch a group of men kick a ball around a field?

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 4 Apr 2004 08:58

Nutty as fruitcakes Badger Bill

Jean Durant

Jean Durant Report 4 Apr 2004 09:05

Sue, They are not mad at all. Believe me there is nothing like a 'live' football match. In my younger days, if Spurs had made it to the semi-final of the F.A. cup, I would have travelled to the end of the earth to watch them. How can your team win if you are not there to give them vocal support. Good luck to your husband and sons, may they have a great day, win, lose or draw. Jean x. .

June

June Report 4 Apr 2004 09:15

I agree with Jean, my sentiments entirely, they could be doing far worse, just be thankful it's football. As you can gather I love the game so I am biased. June

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 4 Apr 2004 09:22

Ive been told many many times by my nephew and sister how wonderful it is to go watch a live football match...personally, I just can see what the attraction is....... as far as I can see they are all totally barking!

SueinKent

SueinKent Report 4 Apr 2004 10:52

Dont' get me wrong, I like football, I watch my boys play, but to get up a Sunday morning at 5.15, no I don't like it that much!! They have just telephoned to let me know they have arrived safety and they are in the ground "soaking up the atmosphere". Up the Lions. Sue

Rick

Rick Report 4 Apr 2004 12:39

Agreed Lynda ! Come on Millwall ! (Don't tell anyone else I said that though - at least they've got one of our old boys at the helm). Rick.

Jan

Jan Report 4 Apr 2004 12:42

Im not a mad footie fan but I went to see my local team (Man United) play it was the most amazing thing (and you got to see Roy Keanes legs for real!!) annoyingly DB was injured when he broke his foot :( Jan x

June

June Report 4 Apr 2004 12:54

I know you'll think I'm mad, in my younger days, I've stayed up all night to get tickets for a match

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Apr 2004 13:36

I'm with Sue on this one. I am a very keen supporter of Armchair United. But I always say a feeble Hooray when Hartlepool win. :-) Jim

Lynn

Lynn Report 4 Apr 2004 14:22

Sue......Who on earth in their right mind would go and stand in all weathers and watch grown men kicking a bag of wind. Lynn

Pumphrey

Pumphrey Report 4 Apr 2004 14:29

Never go to away matches so have never had to get up at that hour (apart from when Stoke go promoted at Cardiff). NOTHING comes close to standing on the terraces singing a few choruses of Delilah to get the blood pumping. (Except maybe finding an elusive rellie) Pam

SueinKent

SueinKent Report 4 Apr 2004 15:32

I am sorry you feel like that Patricia I feel you are totally out of order, but in future I will not contribute anymore to this board, if I am going to receive comments like yours. I appreciate you are entitled to your opinion, but I do think you have taken the thread far too seriously. Sue

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 4 Apr 2004 16:03

Patricia, this board is set up by GC for "general discussion on genealogy as well as everyday topics". Most of us are members of GC not just for genealogical purposes, but also for a little light relief and to make new friends. If you do not like the topics on this board, then no-one is forcing you to read them. How dare you insult people who are just having a few laughs by suggesting they consult a psychologist or psychiatrist. Most of us on GC do CARE about fellow members and are only too happy to help out with advice on personal as well as genealogical issues. Perhaps you feel that Kathy should not have asked for our prayers for her son - surely this is also an 'inappropriate' topic to you. I do hope that nobody has been put off by your attitude or by my response, but (as I have already mentioned on the very popular 'Pet Peeves' thread) I detest bad manners. Maz

SueinKent

SueinKent Report 4 Apr 2004 16:05

Thank you for that Maz, I am quite shocked and upset by Patricia's comments. Sue

Lindsey

Lindsey Report 4 Apr 2004 16:10

I am not suprised you are upset Sue. To have an opinion is one thing, but to voice it in such a rude and insulting manner is totally out of order. To attack someone you have never even met in this way is I feel unfair. Nobody comes on to this site to be attacked, just to indulge in a personal hobby and hopefully make some friends in the process. I do hope nobody has been put off by this. For a moment I thought twice about posting on this board but why let the minority spoil it for the few. Please dont be put off by this Sue.

Rick

Rick Report 4 Apr 2004 16:17

Patricia, It clearly says at the top of the board what its purpose is. Some of us like it on here. If you don't then there's no need to read it, but why on earth did you have to be so rude about it ? Rick.

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 4 Apr 2004 16:21

Patricia you mention that Sue should speak about "her personal frustrations with someone who cares". Quite clearly from the responses to your message, I think she already is!!!!!

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 4 Apr 2004 16:24

Patricia, If you think it's such a waste of time then why bother to reply and waste our time! I didnt realise there was a rule about being socialable but there is one about posting things which may offend.