General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

When you were a child.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sam

Sam Report 16 Apr 2004 22:05

What games did you play as a child?

Auntie Peanut

Auntie Peanut Report 16 Apr 2004 22:10

Hopscotch Skipping Marbles Snobs or Dibs Whip and Top Catch me kiss Postmans Knock Statues Snakes and ladders Dot to dot just a few to start us off Norah

Jill

Jill Report 16 Apr 2004 22:29

A few more to add to the list Two ball American skipping Hand stands Hula hoop Jacks Cats Cradle Off ground touch Hide and seek I spy Cards Building houses with playing cards Making tents with bedding Monopoly and board games Table tennis Hunt the thimble Jill

Buggy21

Buggy21 Report 16 Apr 2004 23:01

Kiss Chase Bull Dog King Ball Run Outs Knock Down Ginger Gobs Hopscotch Dead Soliders Football Rounders Volley Ball And lots more that I can't think of at the moment. Bring back the good ol' days!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh yerh, tidying Karen's bedroom before she was allowed out.

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 16 Apr 2004 23:07

I am really glad someone bought this subject up. Please can someone remind me of a game we use to play and the order in which it was played. Tennis ball inside a stocking (remember my mum going mad 'cause we used all hers over one weekend!) you had to stand against wall and 'whack' it with the ball in stocking either side and over head, allsorts, I am sure there was a song too. Kim

Susanne

Susanne Report 16 Apr 2004 23:13

Kim I used to play that too but cannot for the life of me think what the rhyme was. I remember French Skipping (or Elastics) and playing 2 balls up against the wall, it was great around nan's 'cause she had an alley between hers and the neighbours house! Sue

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 16 Apr 2004 23:30

Double ball Pussy in the corner Tig on high Skipping Ducky Red Light Green Light French Cricket Rounders Whip & Top Hoops Bike racing and skidding on the tip Bogey riding & sledging down hills Skating with only one skate Bren

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 16 Apr 2004 23:40

I played French Skipping up 'til a couple of years ago with my chilminding kids, but if they wouldn't play with me, should have seen the look on the parents faces when they turned up and saw my 2 dining room chairs locked in elastic bands! I think the best game my mum taught me was making pretty necklaces in the quickest time, took me 2 years before I realised it was her 'home' work and she was getting paid! Oh those 'good' days! :-) Kim

Deborah

Deborah Report 17 Apr 2004 01:13

Our favourites were French Skipping The one with the ball in the stocking - what was that called??!! Knuckles (jacks/5stones) Volleyball Handball Softball Board Games Monopoly Mousetrap Ker Plunk! Debbie

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Apr 2004 10:16

Ruth, One of the rhymes I used to sing with two balls was 'Mrs Brown'. Started off 'Plainsy Mrs Brown' then went on to 'Overs', Upsies' etc. With one ball we played 'donkey'. Does anyone remeber inthe 60's those hard litle balls on stiff rope with a hoop on one end. You put the hoop around your ankle, swung it and jumped over the ball. If you lost your momentum the ball hit your ankle and nearly broke it! I've seen a modern version, the ball at the end is soft!!!

Susanne

Susanne Report 17 Apr 2004 11:29

Maggie, I can remember I had one of those ankle ball things in the mid 70's, cannot remember what it was made of then but I know I ended up with a good few bruises! Sue

Samantha

Samantha Report 17 Apr 2004 23:15

hi, i remember playing the thing with a tennis ball in a pair of tights but i cant remember what that was called & that was in the 80's cats cradle french skipping double dutch skipping(2 ropes) knives fork spoons & jellywobbles (dont ask!!) to name but a few

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 17 Apr 2004 23:25

skipping whip & top(boy! did i belt that top up the road!!) roller skates kiss chase postmans knock british bull dog war(with the boys!the girls were nurses) marbles off the ground tick higher&higher chalking on the walls,and your mum would go mad!! bikes kids don't seem to play these days do they!! we would play out all summer,never in the house untill your mum called you in when it started to go dark. OH! nearly forgot--------doll & pram! you don't seem to see little girls with prams now do you! i did see one a few years ago,and i thought it was so nice,brought all the memories back,and then she reached into her pram and brought out--------------a mobile phone!!!!!!!! how times have changed! chris.

Katinahat

Katinahat Report 18 Apr 2004 00:39

I used to be Wyatt Earp with a two gun holster. My older brother and sister were the baddies and we would ride our horses (arms of my nan's chair and sofa) over the range. Also used to drop plastic bags filled with water from the top floor of the flats=great fun! Book on skate - down the black hill Run outs Tin Tan Tommy British Bull Dog Two balls Ball in stocking Hand stands Hee ball Cowboys and Indians - all the kids on the estate would join in. Teachers Shops with my Mum's groceries Libraries - with all my books. I stamped them in and out, LOL. Funnily enough, I now work in the Library section of a local council - but not with the public. Indoors with my three brothers we played The Human Slide - we would all link up off the top bunk and one of us would slide down the human slide. Another indoor game - Horse racing over the human jumps. It was a good way to give my brothers a kick ha ha Kathy

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Apr 2004 00:56

Isn't it a shame that 'british bulldog' and even skipping is banned in some - no most schools now, as children may injure themselves and sue!!! No such thing as an accident anymore. There's no wall for playing two balls (schools built in the 60's and 70's - all window no wall). As for kiss chase - this may offend some people! I'm getting on a bit, but glad I could 'do my own thing' in my childhood, unlike children of today.

syljo

syljo Report 18 Apr 2004 19:36

An indoor game that comes to mind is "pass the parcel". What about this ditty: Inky pinky spider climbing up the wall .......... had a fall Who knows this ditty?

Bob

Bob Report 18 Apr 2004 20:21

Incy, wincy spider Climbing up the spout. Down came the rain And washed the spider out. Out came the sun And dried up all the rain, So incy wincy spider Climbed up the spout again.

A. Neil

A. Neil Report 18 Apr 2004 21:38

Here's a few more Simon says releivio (sp)?? kick the can hide n seek i spy (with my little eye) catch - baseball catch - football ( i guess to you that would be a rugby ball) baseball road hockey tag plus others Neil

Essex Baz

Essex Baz Report 18 Apr 2004 21:42

Apart from all the usual outdoor games,I remember using my mums wire fire guard,turned on end like a pyramid,a sheet thrown over it,and me and my brother suddenly became spacemen, or whatever the imagination made you. Barry

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 18 Apr 2004 21:52

I remember making mud pies and baking them in the sun. hop scotch. playing with dollies pretending to be a pop star with a tennis racket as a guitar playing in the dingle ( a small wood at the back of my house) british bull dogs, oh the memories bursting tar bubbles in the road and getting tar all over my knic**** and my mum getting mad.