General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

TWIN TUB?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mary

Mary Report 17 Apr 2004 23:53

Do you think that the twin tub washed better?I know it took twice as long.

Tracey

Tracey Report 17 Apr 2004 23:59

yes it did wash better and did take twice as long tracey

purplehaze

purplehaze Report 18 Apr 2004 00:01

what is a twin tub? excuse me for being dumb lolol

Mary

Mary Report 18 Apr 2004 00:02

Joanne. It was a washing machine. Now i do feel old. Mary

purplehaze

purplehaze Report 18 Apr 2004 00:05

lmao oops sorry

Tracey

Tracey Report 18 Apr 2004 00:05

mary i feel old now as well i am only 28 lol tracey

Lucky

Lucky Report 18 Apr 2004 00:07

When we got married in 1980, we didn't have much and his aunt was going back to Australia, so we had her twin tub. It took me most of saturday just to do washing for the two of us. Although it was a lot harder I think it did wash better and certainly spun better. Diane

Mary

Mary Report 18 Apr 2004 00:09

Tracey. Not done us much good this has it shall i delete it? Mary

purplehaze

purplehaze Report 18 Apr 2004 00:10

i'm almost twenty, someone said i was the youngest on the board, didnt know whether to laugh or cry lol and from west wales

Mary

Mary Report 18 Apr 2004 00:11

Joanne. Well if you are only twenty I dont feel so bad. Mary

purplehaze

purplehaze Report 18 Apr 2004 00:13

:-)

Tracey

Tracey Report 18 Apr 2004 00:14

mary leave it on it might get some fun going tracey

Mary

Mary Report 18 Apr 2004 00:15

Tracey. Hope you are right. Mary

Lynn

Lynn Report 18 Apr 2004 00:20

When I marrried in 1967 I didn't have a washing machine I had a burco boiler and when our son was born all his nappies were boiled up in it,The rest of the washing I did by hand and had a worktop wringer ....(God don't that make me feel old) A few years later we upgraded to a twin tub and oh it was bliss although you did seem to spend ages doing the washing ,but it was worth it to spin dry all the clothes.But there is no way on this earth I would swap my automatic for a twin tub these days. Looking back it was hard work.You may laugh but I sill keep a spin dryer just in case the Automatic ever needs repair and it has come in handy on many occasions within the family Lynn

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 18 Apr 2004 00:30

Joanne made me laugh. When I got married in 1982 I couldn't afford a washing machine but my friend gave me her old twin tub. It did me for quite a number of years. I knew it was time to get rid of it when my daughter's young friend came in and asked what it was! "You could put that on Antiques Roadshow" she said in all seriousness. Just remembered, after my mum died, when I was 14, my Gran said she was taking me out to buy my Christmas pressie. As we approached the electrical showroom I was thinking stereos, cassette players and the like. I tried not to look disappointed when it was a twin-tub washing machine she bought me. Not many 14 yr olds got one of them I'll bet!

purplehaze

purplehaze Report 18 Apr 2004 01:06

omg i'd be dissapointed too, lol i was baffled by twin tub and kept thinking of boob tubes lol why i dont know

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 18 Apr 2004 06:31

Lord..!.I still remember my mum boiling clothes in a big thing she called the 'copper',,,and she had a wringer thing too, Washdays were awful especially in the winter, One of the worst things was that mum would always scrub the yard with the soapy water out of the 'copper' and she would scrub the wooden seat in the outside loo,,,,,In the winter it took ages to dry and created untold misery ,,,lol

Susan

Susan Report 18 Apr 2004 06:36

When my eldest daughter was born in 79 I had two twin tubs the washer worked on one and the spinner worked on the other my kind nieghbour took pitty on me and she used to wash Emma's nappies in her automatic for me but I think they washed better too. Sue

Trish

Trish Report 18 Apr 2004 07:05

Have only just stopped using my twin tub (not by choice but by machine finally giving up after 20 odd years and spares not available). They certainly wash better than automatics - whites are much whiter after being washed in a twin tub. As for taking longer, I don't think so - one load in the automatic takes 90 mins whereas in the twin tub I could have done that in 20 mins - after filling the thing of course. Clothes came out of the twin tub much dryer so it was especially good on a rainy day if I had to use the tumble dryer as well. Just for the record I have a few years to go yet until I'm 50!!

Samantha

Samantha Report 18 Apr 2004 08:24

i remember my mum having a twin tub - as a special treat she used to let me "stab" the washing with the stick - you know dunk it up & down! - if i was really good i was allowed to hold the hose from the tap & fill it up - that all stopped though cos i had a waterfight with it one day & there was water everywhere!! also( back in the days when you were allowed to smack children without being taken to court ) i remember if i was being naughty my mum used to say " shall i get my washing stick?" - she never hit me with it - of course but neverthless i would be ob my best behavior from that moment on!!!