General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BAR+B+Q`S and Favourite Menu`s

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Essex Baz

Essex Baz Report 19 Apr 2004 19:13

I`ll start by saying I prefer to use a gas Bar b q, but have the charcoal type as well. I love the spicy chicken type of food,along with large prawns, and trout etc. Barry.

Auntie Peanut

Auntie Peanut Report 19 Apr 2004 19:33

Hi Baz If you like spicy's, take a look at the Recipes thread, I have put three recipes on there suitable for Barbeques. Best if you go to latest replies first to find them. Norah Think I'll put them on here if you don't mind.

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 19 Apr 2004 19:34

I have come to the conclusion that Bar+B-Q's are a "boys" thing. I do not know any ladies who enjoy cooking over a smelly hot outside cooking device (especially when the far more convenient electric or gas cooker is sitting in the kitchen). My husband, brother, son and just about every male I know absolutely enthuse about Bar-b-ques and me? I can take them or leave them - much prefer my food cooked properly and conventionally (wouldn't dream of telling hubbie, brother, son etc of course - just eat the stuff and shut up!) Jacqui

Auntie Peanut

Auntie Peanut Report 19 Apr 2004 19:46

With our thoughts turning to summer (from a rainy Southampton mind you) barbeques etc. I have found the followingto be very popular and a little different. AND VERY EASY TO MAKE - HONESTLY (1) FRIED BROWN RICE SALAD 2 Cups Brown rice 4 Bacon rashers - chopped 250g baby mushrooms - sliced 1 large carrot, coarsely grated 125g snow peas - chopped OR use frozen garden peas -defrosted. 4 green shallots DRESSING 1/2-cup oil 1/4-cup brown vinegar 2-teaspoons light soy sauce 1/2-teaspoon sesame oil Add rice gradually to large saucepan of boiling water. boil rapidy, uncovered about 30 minutes or until tender; drain and rinse under cold water: drain. Fry bacon in large pan unti crisp; add mushrooms, carrot and peas, stir-fry until rice is heated through. Serve hot or cold. Dressing: Combine all ingredients in a jar and shake well.

Auntie Peanut

Auntie Peanut Report 19 Apr 2004 19:49

(2) ANOTHER EASY ONE MINTED TOMATO AND PEA SALAD 500g (3-cups) fresh or frozen garden peas 1-cucumber 4-green shallots, chopped 250g-punnet cherry tomatoes DRESSING 1/2-cup oil 1/4-cup white vinegar 1-tablespoon chopped mint 1-clove garlic, crushed Boil, steam or microwave peas until tender: drain, rinse under cold water; drain. Cut cucmber in half lengh-ways, removed seeds, slice cucumber, shallots and quartered tomatoes in bowl with Dressing: serve immediately. Dressing: Combine all ingredients in jar: shake well.

Auntie Peanut

Auntie Peanut Report 19 Apr 2004 19:52

(3) EASIEST OF THE THREE CURRIED PASTA SALAD 375g-Pasta shells 1-teaspoon oil 250g-baby mushrooms, halved 1-green pepper - chopped 3-green shallots - chopped 2-sticks celery - sliced DRESSING 1/2-cup oil 1/2-cup white vinegar 2-tablespoons sugar 1 1/2-tablespoons curry powder Add pasta gradually to large pan of boiling water, boil rapidy uncovered for about 10 minutes or unil just tender; drain, rinse under cold water. Mix oil through pasta wih hands. Combine pasta in bowl with remaining ingredients and Dressing. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight. Dressing: Combine all ingredients in jar: shake well.

Lindy

Lindy Report 19 Apr 2004 22:27

Baz, We love to BBQ, anywhere, anytime. Nothing like sitting with a glass of wine in one hand and a pair of tongs in the other. Back home on weekends we would have a "bring and braai" You bring your own meat, salad and "hooch" and we would all get stuck in and barbeque the meat, chicken or fish. I have a very spicy chilli sauce recipe for chicken if you are interested that you can make and keep. Just be prepared to sacrifice the Scotch to make it. .. lol.. Lindy:-)))

Essex Baz

Essex Baz Report 19 Apr 2004 22:33

Lindy, A woman after my own heart,and yes, I would love the recipe,please,pretty please. Baz.

Rach

Rach Report 19 Apr 2004 22:36

What is it about bbqs that bring out the neanderthal instinct in men? Is it the man make fire thing?! Surely not! firelighters and matches didnt exist then!

Lindy

Lindy Report 19 Apr 2004 22:38

Baz, I shall dig out recipe in the morning! Lindy;-)

Essex Baz

Essex Baz Report 19 Apr 2004 22:38

Hi Rach, I like to give my wife a break from the drudgery of cooking. That`s my excuse, and I`m sticking to it.lol Barry

Essex Baz

Essex Baz Report 19 Apr 2004 22:39

Lindy, Look forward to it. Barry xx

Essex Baz

Essex Baz Report 19 Apr 2004 22:58

For an appetizer,try, Peanut and Chicken savouries. 9oz cooked chicken,minced or chopped, 3 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, 1 teaspoon grated onion, 1oz softened margarine or butter, 1 tablespoon milk,salt and freshly ground black pepper, 1 small French loaf, 2 tomatoes, sliced. Put the chicken,peanut butter,parsley,onion,margarine and milk into a bowl.Season with salt and pepper to taste,and mix until blended. Cut the bread into 1in squares, Toast 1 side only, on the b+b+q,and remove. Spread the untoasted side with the chicken mixture,and top each one with a slice of tomato. Return to the grill, and grill for 3-4 minutes, until golden,and serve immediately. Lovely. Enjoy. Baz.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 19 Apr 2004 23:40

Hi Baz My hubby's a big fan of hot and spicey too. His favourite accompaniment to barbq food is tobasco onions. Chop onions, mix with tomato sauce and as much tobasco sauce as you can bear. Guaranteed to blow your socks off! Another favourite is curried potatoes. Boil some new potatoes. Put some oil in a wok or big pan and add some mustard seeds. Put a lid on til they've finished popping otherwise they'll be all over the place. Then add a chopped onion and fry til golden. Add some turmeric and cumin and a chopped chili and fry for 1 minute. Sling the potatoes in and coat with mixture. Add some chopped coriander at the end. These are nice eithr hot or cold. Jeanette

Helene

Helene Report 20 Apr 2004 03:48

Norah, I love the sound of your brown rice salad. What we do with rice is fry a cup or 2 (depending on how much you need) in a little oil (we use canola) stirring all the time (as it will burn!), and when it's crispy looking, add 2 cups of boiling water (to one cup of rice) very carefully as steam hurts like hell, (I use an oven glove), then stir for about 3 mins, on high, as the water sinks in. Then turn off the element and place lid on the pot, and leave for about 30 min. I put a cup on top of the lid as it tends to jump around abit. The rice is beautiful when done. You can add a little salt or some garlic stock to the water before pouring on the rice. I always use this way to cook my rice for everything savoury. The good thing about this is I can make it about lunch-time, then heat it up for tea with curry & veges. (or whatever). Enjoy xx

Lindy

Lindy Report 20 Apr 2004 11:20

Hi Baz, As this recipe is not out of a book there are no measurements. I have no idea as to the type of chilies you have in your area or how easy it is to find them. I used to grow my own until I killed the bush by trying to transplant it into a pot when we sold our old house. I preserved the fresh chilies or "piri piri" by drying them out in the oven and storing in a glass jar. If you can't find the fresh small red ones, then buy the whole dried ones. Ingredients: Olive oil, fresh garlic, thick salt, chilies and whisky. Us a small pot if you are only making a handful of chilies. Cut the chilies in half and crush the garlic and put inside of the pot. Add thick salt and just cover the mixture with olive oil. Let it cook over a very low heat, stirring occasionally until soft. Remove from pot to a mixing bowl and crush everything to a pulp. Let it cool down. Return the mixture to the pot. Add a third of a glass of whisky and a third of olive oil to the mixture. Bring to boil slowly and then remove the pot from the stove. Your sauce is now ready. I use small paint brushes, one for chicken and meat and one for fish. This sauce can be kept in any glass jar, coffee, jam whatever. THE POOR MAN'S BBQ This has to be made on a charcoal BBQ otherwise the taste is not the same. Make cheese, tomato and onion sandwiches, onion optional, add salt and pepper. Toast slowly on the BBQ until both sides are brown. Sometimes, I make these after the meat is done and the coals are still hot enough.....delicious. BBQ LEG OF LAMB Ask the butcher to chop into three or four chunks depending of the size of the leg. Make a few little holes in the meat and put in a piece of bay leaf and garlic, (this is optional). Rub the meat with "five pepper spices" I am sure that you must know it by another name. It is five different types of pepper corns that comes in a disposable spice bottle which has a plastic grinder. The meat takes awhile before it is done so, keep topping up the charcoal. If the fire is too hot it will be done on the outside and raw on the inside. Salt is added when the meat is just about ready. Serve with your favorite salads and garlic bread. PINEAPPLE MOUSSE. Make pineapple jelly according to instructions on the box. Add a can on condensed milk, half the juice of a can of pineapples and stir together. Add the chopped pineapple rings and leave in fridge over night. ENJOY Now I am going to look for something to eat. Lindy;-)))

Auntie Peanut

Auntie Peanut Report 20 Apr 2004 12:30

Hi Mags Thanks for the tip re cooking rice. I'll certainly give it a go. Does this apply to basmati and brown rice too? Norah

Essex Baz

Essex Baz Report 20 Apr 2004 18:34

Lindy, Got your recipe,many thanks. The wife is going to give it a try. Barry.

Helene

Helene Report 21 Apr 2004 07:12

Hi Norah, not sure about the basmati rice, but the brown should be ok. I use long grain white. I'm making your rice dish this weekend. xx

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 21 Apr 2004 10:38

For anyone in portsmouth area go to real country butchers, fantastic barbie food(lamb kebabs-yummy)and the butcher in theres not bad either, Karen.