General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone out there willing to help with my 'Vintage

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tracey

Tracey Report 26 Apr 2004 14:43

I've got 24 questions to answer - only know one LOL!! Think i had help with that one too!! The clues are cryptic so here's the first eight:- (1) You got it straight from the horses mouth. (2) Battery? This young man was charged with it. (3) Western lawman - strings attached. (4) This was an arts programme for everyone. (5) Steptoe drops an aitch to become a puppeteer. (6) The game that awarded extra points for orange and black - but in black and white. (7) Archbishop in my past contrived to be a slapstick legend. (8) Early soap oranges grown here. C'mon guys and gals - get the old brain matter going. lol!!! Tracey

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Apr 2004 14:51

1 is Mister Ed 2 Battery boy - or jamie and his magic torch? Can you e-mail me the whole quiz please :-)

Steph

Steph Report 26 Apr 2004 14:53

I think the arts programme for everyone, may be EVERYMAN, a show from the 80's!!??. If they are included kids programmes the battery clue could be Jamie & his magic torch!!! Steph

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 26 Apr 2004 14:55

Number 3 must be some sort of puppet sherrif - can't think of one though except Woody from Toy Story and that was a film ..

Tracey

Tracey Report 26 Apr 2004 14:56

Terri, Just got me thinking there- steptoe used to call Harold Arold!!! didn't he so that will be where the clue 'drops an aitch' comes in. Nice one!! She - Will add the rest of the questions on the board when i've got back from picking the kids up from school. Good answers though!! Maz - i thought of Woody too but the quiz is supposed to be 'Vintage' . Maybe we're not old enough lol!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Apr 2004 14:57

hi no 7 arch bishop contrived to be a slapstick in my past. chaplain maybe. (charlie Chaplain)

Tracey

Tracey Report 26 Apr 2004 15:02

Hi Steph and Terri, Good answers - keep 'em coming. Here's a couple more before i go. (9) This hibernian ex-pug asked a question about his descent. (10) Pressing necessity protected ''Child X'' in medical drama. (11) Greek character grants me strange emporium employing new gent, we hear. I'll be back shortly - get your thinking caps on while i'm gone! Tracey

Steph

Steph Report 26 Apr 2004 15:54

Oh, I'd definately go with wit Terri on the Chaplain answer, good one, Terri, I was racking my brains on that one!!! Steph ;-) p.s. I am going to be hooked to see the all the answers , now!! And old hubby informs me that the the battery answer is TORCHY THE BATTERY BOY (before my time!!) I think clue 10 may be EMERGENCY WARD 10.

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 26 Apr 2004 16:03

10 is emergency ward 10 (protected child is a ward, X is ten in roman) - ooh well pleased with myself, not usually very good at cryptic stuff!! Maz. XX

Steph

Steph Report 26 Apr 2004 16:12

Clue number 6 - was that the THE GOLDEN SHOT!??

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Apr 2004 16:19

8 is Green Acres and YES - Torchy the battery boy - dont remember it but read about it - honest :-)

Steph

Steph Report 26 Apr 2004 16:21

question 8 I think is THE GROVE FAMILY from the 50's. Thanks, Mum!! Steph x

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Apr 2004 16:24

3) Whiplash - a series from 1961 I believe and yep Steph - the Grove family - first broadcast on friday 2nd april 1954 11) the omega man??

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Apr 2004 16:32

god yes she whip lash. by hell your clever lol

Tracey

Tracey Report 26 Apr 2004 17:03

Hi There, I'm back. Well, what can i say! Ya coming up with some corkers now. All ready for the next load of questions? Here goes: (12) Mad hatter burns it's expert committee. (13) We were told three times to exercise our franchise for him. (14) Why circumnavigation isn't possible in an ex-goons sphere. (15) Vice? You'll turn to a redheadsallure for me! (16) Here's where some 1970's ITV viewers saw the weather forecast for the first time, clear or murky but less right. (17) Sword, mail....lain asunder to reveal equestrian informer. (18) Feed for 'orse named after galaxy, perhaps? (19) Sad, safe- and popular with children for 40 years. (20) Remove owl for schoolboy. (21) Rex bart - Mondays muddly talker before Murray Walker! (22) Game detective, no digger, gave voice in ultimate state. (23) Muddy lights, hall unpainted, at a noon variety show. (24) Rude teen is only put right when Danes hammer is employed. Well, thats your lot. I thought Q14 might have something to do with Michael Palin as he was a goon wasn't he and he did 80 days around the world? And Q19 Blue Peter?

Debbie

Debbie Report 26 Apr 2004 17:13

Answer to question 3 could be pettrochelli, (chello) he lived in the desert in a big camper van one of my favourite old programmes.

Janet

Janet Report 26 Apr 2004 17:26

No 9 is Eamonn Andrews. He was an ex-boxer (pugilist) and hosted 'What's my Line'!! The battery one is 'Torchy, the battery boy'. Haven't got time to look at the others yet, but I will! Janet

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 26 Apr 2004 17:35

Hi Tracey I think the answer to no 3 is Tex Ritter in Four feather Falls I'm sure some of our 40 plus male members will have watched it in their chilhood and correct me if I'm wrong Bren

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 26 Apr 2004 17:37

Hi Tracey, I think No.17 is 'Dorian Williams' (anagram, although we're short of an 'i') - showjumping commentator I think from 70's? Sheila

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 26 Apr 2004 17:39

I don't remember Michael Palin in theGoon Show. I think he's too young! It started in the 1950's. Rosemary(Essex)