General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Switch default for postings to show latest reply f

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Genes

Genes Advisor Report 9 Jun 2004 16:15

Hi, We've had a lot of feedback on how the postings are shown on the message boards. The suggestion is to show the last reply first rather than the first replies. The option at the top to change to earliest reply will be available so the only change is the default setting. Welcome your comments. Michelle

Maggie in Leics

Maggie in Leics Report 9 Jun 2004 16:17

Think it should stay as it is - like to read postings in a logical order!! Not difficult to switch to latest post first option for threads with a lot of posts!! Maggie

Dave the Tyke

Dave the Tyke Report 9 Jun 2004 16:25

yes that would be fine for me, I love opptions xx Dave

Sandra

Sandra Report 9 Jun 2004 16:30

I DON'T MIND EITHER WAY SANDRA

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Jun 2004 16:34

I'd like to keep them in the current order - it makes sense to scroll down to read what the next person has written. It's a good idea to keep the option at the top to view the latest replies, but I only ever use this if there are 3 or 4 pages of replies. Thanks for posting on this board, Mandy

Angela

Angela Report 9 Jun 2004 16:35

I agree that where a thread has a lot of replies spanning several pages it would be really helpful for the latest to be shown first by default because it can take several seconds to reload the page in reverse order if you click it as an option now. For threads where all replies fit on one page it really doesn't matter which way round it is as its simple to scroll up or down to look at them in whatever order you like. All in all, therefore, I'd go with latest first as the default (unless the system lets you be really clever and allow us to set our personal preferences as part of our "details" so we all get what we want!). It will help when trying to catch up with latest replies on a thread with lots of entries, and won't be too inconvenient when viewing a thread with only a few. Angela

Penny

Penny Report 9 Jun 2004 17:48

Thanks for asking opinions personally I really appreciate it. I would prefer the massages to automatically read with the latest first as I always change it when I enter a thread anyway. having said that if opinion is strong to leave as is dont worry about me. Penny

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust***

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust*** Report 9 Jun 2004 18:57

as that made me really confused why cant things remain the same? if its not broken dont fix it,

Pumphrey

Pumphrey Report 9 Jun 2004 19:01

Thanks michelle, Personally prefer it as it is. Some of us are at work all day and only get the chance to catch up at night or every few days. Therefore I would rather read the messages in the order they were posted. Not overly bothered though if the majority go the other way. Pam :-)

Geoff

Geoff Report 9 Jun 2004 19:33

If a thread gets very long (over 20 pages) it seems to be the only way to view it but, otherwise, I think it should stay as it is.

valinkent

valinkent Report 9 Jun 2004 19:39

I think i would prefer latest replies first . Val

Bob

Bob Report 9 Jun 2004 20:01

First let me say how welcome it is to see a thread like this. I think the present format is OK with the first post first... But I have broadband. I guess I might think differently if i had a slow connection It would be good if this could be a personal option. That would be a solution which would plese everyone... There's a challenge for you. Bob

Debbie

Debbie Report 9 Jun 2004 20:16

I dont like that idea much, I like the way it is. If there are a lot of pages it is quite easy just to got to the latest reply. It is nice that you are asking our opinions. Thankyou Debbie

Ann

Ann Report 9 Jun 2004 20:28

Hi Michelle, I'm quite happy with the way it is now, I don't think there's any need to change it. Thanks for asking our opinions. Ann

Teresa In Canada

Teresa In Canada Report 9 Jun 2004 20:50

Hi Michelle; Thanks for asking for our input. What I would really like to see is after you have posted a reply to a post if the page was returned to the last page you were on rather than back to page one. For instance--you answer a question on page seven, press post reply and you are returned to page one. Why not back to page seven? For those of us that do a lot of look ups it means one less step and not having to remember what page you were on. I would also like to see the add reply button at the bottom of the page as well. Thanks for your time Teresa

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Jun 2004 20:57

It really does'nt bother me - but thanks for asking:o) Jude s wales

BrianW

BrianW Report 9 Jun 2004 21:54

I prefer the default it as it is, it's more natural to read down the page rather than up.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 9 Jun 2004 22:53

Thanks Michelle and the Genes Team for asking our opinions. Personally I like to read messages in the order they are posted. If most threads ran into several pages then it would be better with latest reply first. But as most are short and sweet - especially on the tips and records boards - then it should stay as it is. Jeanette

June

June Report 9 Jun 2004 22:59

I appreciate being asked but I have got used to changing when I want to, so I'll go with the majority Thanks again

Bob

Bob Report 10 Jun 2004 07:02

First of all: a *BIG* thank you for asking our views first. Whether things change, or stay as they were, it is nice to be asked and to be involved. I agree with Teresa Boyce's reply: "What I would really like to see is after you have posted a reply to a post if the page was returned to the last page you were on rather than back to page one. For instance--you answer a question on page seven, press post reply and you are returned to page one. Why not back to page seven? : I would also like to see the add reply button at the bottom of the page as well." May I add: why not show all the buttons (refresh, add reply, ...) top and bottom. I also think that it is better to leave the default setting as it is, and allow changing it as a personal option. This is probably also the hardest thing to implement !! As a professional programmer, constantly catering to ever-changing customer demands, I know you how tough it is to please everybody. This is why we try to define defaults, but then let the customer "personalise" ! Tough, but rewarding. Once again, thank you, for allowing us the oportunity to discuss this with you.