General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

European voting - did you?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

syljo

syljo Report 10 Jun 2004 16:00

Did you use your vote today? I did, as usual. When I arrived at the polling booth I saw a lot of children, about 10 years of age. They were being shown how to vote. I thought what a wonderful way to get children interested in using their vote.

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 10 Jun 2004 16:13

Wish I could have but they messed up my postal vote (am away at uni). They never sent it to me! @*~#$! Chloe

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 10 Jun 2004 17:32

I have not yet - been at work since 7am and won't finish until 7pm. Will go on way home Liz

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 10 Jun 2004 18:08

Yes I used my vote before I went to work. The polling station is opposite my house! I know of at least two people not bothering to vote. I keep trying to get them to go but the wont. It's such a waste :0( Naomi

Philip

Philip Report 10 Jun 2004 20:10

Yes, I've just been to the polling station. Euro-election only this time for us. 8 parties standing, each with 7 candidates for the 7 seats from the south west region = 56 candidates. Only 1 vote, so I asked the staff how the totting up system is supposed to work (being a former local and parliamentary candidate many years ago, and therefore knowing quite a lot of the various voting systems around in Europe). They weren't sure, but thought that probably each party had put its candidates in preferential order, which seems to suggest ( as I advised them) that the only safe way of voting for a particular party is to vote for their no 1 choice. What a peculiar way of selecting MEPs who are going to represent us in Europe. Philip

Len

Len Report 10 Jun 2004 20:22

Hi Sylvia, Yes I did vote, not saying which way, but theres a Union Jack flying on the flag pole in my garden. Anything todo with Europe is perculiar, they have little men in grey suits sat in offices thinking of perculiar things they can throw at us, they cant help it, it's the nature of the euro-beast. Len

lou from leicestershire

lou from leicestershire Report 10 Jun 2004 20:43

i voted and it was a postal vote

Bob

Bob Report 10 Jun 2004 20:45

Sure I voted... Always do. This time they moved the polling station to a more central location and there was a queue. I hope this is a good omen. Bob

syljo

syljo Report 10 Jun 2004 21:05

I did hear that if you hadn't received your voting papers you could still go along to the polling station and with your identity card (we have a special number) you could still vote. It must be very frustrating if you want to vote and cannot. Anyway, all of us that have voted, can moan about things if they go wrong, but those who haven't don't have the right! I don't mean those who didn't get their papers, but just those who cannot be bothered to vote - usually the ones complaining the most.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 10 Jun 2004 21:17

Ann - I feel the same way... voted today and the officials at the polling station said the turnout was very low (probably will be about 28% here) - I always like to think my vote counts!!

Valice in

Valice in Report 10 Jun 2004 21:30

Used postal vote, local paper states that by Monday of this week the number of returns was higher than at polling booths. If you feel like not voting for any party, I think the best way is to go and spoil your vote, then they can't say you didn't bother. Val

Joy

Joy Report 10 Jun 2004 21:31

Yes, when I arrived home from work. There were 13 parties to choose from! (south east region). Joy

BrianW

BrianW Report 10 Jun 2004 21:46

Walked the dogs up to the polling station this evening: European poll only. Postal voting is a shame: you always seem to run into people you haven't seen for ages at the polling station.

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 10 Jun 2004 22:46

I voted this evening. Took my 18 year old with me, it is her first vote. Hope I've instilled in her the need to vote as I feel that if we have a vote we should use it. She was excited and nervous but was pleased she had me around to explain how it all worked. she has phoned friends to tell them she voted. Viv.

Stacey

Stacey Report 10 Jun 2004 22:53

I voted and took my son. He was so excited as it was at the school he will be going to, he didnt want to come home and kept asking why there were big children at his school! I explained the whole voting system in his terms, he replied 'Did you put a cross in my teachers box'

Irene

Irene Report 10 Jun 2004 23:08

I ment to but forgot, I couldn't face another line of cars trying to get there when I got home, to many road works around at the moment, so I was intending to go this evening you've just reminded me ops to late. Irene

Stacey

Stacey Report 10 Jun 2004 23:13

When do we know the results?

Valice in

Valice in Report 11 Jun 2004 10:58

Results, today for local elections, Sunday eve for Euro ones.

Debbie

Debbie Report 11 Jun 2004 19:43

Who nudged just then, noticed it said 22 messages but on page 2 there was only one message. When I went back to the board it said 21 messages. So who was it then? Debbie

Brian

Brian Report 11 Jun 2004 21:20

Yep! Went to the polling booth to test out the echoes as usual! It was so quiet you could hear a 'chad hang!'