General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finally giving up the cigs!!!! on last packet

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynda

Lynda Report 12 Jun 2004 22:20

I have made the descision, tonights the last night. Tomorrow I face a brand new world as a non smoker!!! I have seven ciggies left which I will (well there not cheap) finish. And tomorrow, as said by Scarlett O'Hara, is another day!! I am determined to do it this time. Lynda

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 12 Jun 2004 22:21

Well done Lynda and good luck Sheila

Margaret

Margaret Report 12 Jun 2004 22:24

Lynda I just wish i had your willpower , Good luck Margaret x

Dame

Dame Report 12 Jun 2004 22:30

Good luck Lynda, I havnt totally packed up, but set myself guide lines,no smoking in the house or car cant smoke at work. I roll my own now just to make it more difficult, I'm down to a couple a day and happy with that. One of these days I'll be down to non. I do go through a lot of Altoid mints.

sandra rogers

sandra rogers Report 12 Jun 2004 22:41

Hiya girls i am 57 started smoking when i was 15 ; 9 yrs ago i was breathless and i said to myself pack them in bear in mind i had smoked for 33yrs 20 a day i used to get a bad cold which went on my chest every year i would cough up the contents of a chimney hahawhat made me pack in was think of the people you love and how they would be upset if anything was to happen to you i dont want to frighten you but this is how i did it and hand on heart it was easy but i have no willpower to diet i cant but i just say to myself there are many people in the graveyard that wish they had a body like mine i rest my case!

Lynda

Lynda Report 12 Jun 2004 22:41

Thanks Sheila Brighton Girl!!! Margaret thanks, have read Alan Carrs book recently you are not supposed to look at it as using will power !!!! it's to make you feel you are not giving up, but be made free from the devil weed!! Bridget Absolutely, keep in touch email me if you like! Good luck to you, whoops number 6 just burnt down whilst messaging, how proud we will feel in the morning as non smokers!! We have to remember that non smokers still get stressed and survive ! Lynda

Lynda

Lynda Report 12 Jun 2004 22:53

Sandra I know exactly what you are saying, fed up with the coughs after the colds, fed up with the smell in the rooms, fed up with paying nearly £5 a packet, just want to feel healthy again and smell nice!!!. Faith Wish you luck, your doing well, more willpower than me I couldn't do that, have to go the whole hog!!! Lynda

Sidami

Sidami Report 12 Jun 2004 23:29

Hi Lynda, Just want to say that I have been there I was a thirty a day person. I gave up about 20 years ago, never looked back I feel better food tastes better, I don't smell of stale fags you can do it, the first couple of weeks will be hard as you won't know what to do with your hands but after that it gets easier. Sue ...........best of luck................

Lynda

Lynda Report 13 Jun 2004 00:04

Sue Thanks for that positive message! As for the hands, will have to keep them busy typing into GC or Gr as it's now called!!! Lynda

Rick

Rick Report 13 Jun 2004 00:09

Hi Lynda, Best thing I ever did was to pack in smoking. 13 years ago now since i smoked at all and it proves it can be done. The first 2 weeks are hell and don't let anyone kid you about that. But it is so worth it. Good luck and I hope you manage to do it. Keep us posted ! Rick.

Margaret

Margaret Report 13 Jun 2004 07:51

Well done Lynda,I gave up on tuesday after 50 years so keep us up to date,I gave up because it became to dear even started to roll my own but not very lady like in public people gave me some strange looks if you know what i mean lol

Sandra

Sandra Report 13 Jun 2004 09:34

good luck lynda remember were always here if you need to chat during the week to keep up the support, i found drinking orange juice helped and eating fruit picky bits like grapes or strawberries, also when you crave drink a glass oif water it helped me sandra

Lynda

Lynda Report 13 Jun 2004 09:58

Good morning and thank you all for those messages of support. Felt a bit strange not reaching out for the old weeds!! The lounge smells horrible as I sat puffing away on the last few in the packet last night, so open windows and let the place breathe again!! Yes, I will uppdate you on how I'm doing. (:-))) Lynda

Louise

Louise Report 13 Jun 2004 16:39

hi Lynda hope its going ok am on my 11 day now and my house smells very nice keep it up mate good luck louise

Rick

Rick Report 14 Jun 2004 22:28

Can we ask how it's going today Lynda ?? Hope you're holding out :-)

Lynda

Lynda Report 15 Jun 2004 07:30

Hi all I left a note on Trish's thread on Hypnotism I am sorry, but I have let you all and myself down badly. I felt very low on Sunday (missing Hubby day) and am afraid it was compounded by no cigs, so have given in. Next time I will wait until I have been off them a few days before I post, that's if you will still be interested!!. I want and mean to give up before this year is out. Sorry all Lynda(:-((((((((((((((((

Sandra

Sandra Report 15 Jun 2004 07:49

Hi Lynda you've not let anyone down, its very hard to give up smoking,and we all understand, do it when the time is right for you, there is never a good time to stop, and i will still support you from day one, sometimes it can take several attempts before you give up, i know i've been there. Its understandable you still miss your hubby you always will, but its supposed to get easier ad time goes on, i find that hard to believe when your soul mate is gone. take care sandra

Trish

Trish Report 15 Jun 2004 11:59

Come on Lynda, you can do it - you just chose the wrong time. Have another go. I have very little will power which is why I went along to the hypno - cross fingers, legs and toes, it seems to be working.

Tallulah

Tallulah Report 15 Jun 2004 12:57

Good luck Lynda! I too am an ex.smoker, gave up 7yrs. ago come August and i can honestly say it is the best thing i have ever done, it wasn't easy but it can be done. Best wishes Tricia

Lynda

Lynda Report 15 Jun 2004 17:46

Thanks girls for your understanding!!!! I will do it, never fear I shall try again. Ok I guess it's just not a good time at present (I know there is never a good time!!!) but lets say a better time. Thanks for your support!! Lynda xx PS Trish, I really hope the Hypno works for you, maybe I'll look towards doing that.