General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Im Hayley Down

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hayley

Hayley Report 14 Jun 2004 17:27

How can someone use my name to post a thread? Ive just noticed the 'idiots' remark, having not been on the site for a while, i was shocked to see it next to my name, how has this happened?

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Jun 2004 17:31

hi Hayley It looks as if our phantom hoaxer is at it again then. Some weeks ago, somebody pretended to be Kylie Smith, another one of our 'ok' members. It looks like somebody must pick a name then take it on as their id, but can't even begin to imagine why. You will see that I put a reply on your thread, because I couldn't work out why it was just a title. Don't worry, this has happened before, and people will soon realise you're genuine. Keep your chin up, Mandy :)

Debbie

Debbie Report 14 Jun 2004 17:31

Are you sure you didnt post it? Is there someone with access to your computer that could have done it as a joke. Because people can change their name but they cant change their membership number. Debbie

Lindy

Lindy Report 14 Jun 2004 17:32

Hayley, Is it possible that someone at home was fooling around with your computer.? Lindy:-)

Hayley

Hayley Report 14 Jun 2004 17:33

I dont like your accusatory tone Daphne, ive been using this site for 6 months and have never had a bad word to say about anyone, i have not even been involved in the svo witch hunt. I dont understand this at all, but im hurt, and i wont be using this site again you'll be pleased to hear

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Jun 2004 17:43

Hayley, please don't be upset, I think people are bound to be suspicious because you have the same membership number as the person who posted the other thread. It's more likely to be what the others have suggested - someone else with access to your pc. Mandy :)

Debbie

Debbie Report 14 Jun 2004 17:43

Hayley Who's Daphne? did you mean my reply I wasnt having a go at you. Please dont get upset. Debbie

Suzy

Suzy Report 14 Jun 2004 17:46

Something very strange is happening. There was a reply from someone called Daphne, but it is now gone. AND the membership number for Hayley on this thread and Hayley on the 'idiots' thread is the same!!!

Debbie

Debbie Report 14 Jun 2004 17:48

So was there a real Daphne then, I thought that Hayley might have meant Debbie but couldnt remember my name. Debbie

Lindy

Lindy Report 14 Jun 2004 17:53

Daphne deleted her reply.

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Jun 2004 18:15

Jean, yes it's your membership number that shows in the bottom bar, and nobody should be able to change this. The first reply to this thread has now been deleted, but it appears that the person who added the 'idiots' thread has the same number as Hayley. This is why it seems as if someone else has access to her computer and has logged on as her without her knowledge. Mandy :)

Angela

Angela Report 14 Jun 2004 19:17

Now someone's mentioned it could be someone logging in as Hayley on a public pc she may have used it's got me thinking. How many of us - me included - dip into the internet whenever we get opportunity, whatever pc we are using, and then don't log off any subscription sites we look into? If the pc being used is set to store cookies for days, then anyone looking at the subscription sites after us gets the benefit of a free ride. And they can take advantage by playing nasty games. Maybe a lesson for us all to make sure we log off properly. I will certainly do so now. Not just because people could impersonate me but because they could tinker with my tree without me noticing. Angela

Sand

Sand Report 14 Jun 2004 19:23

Hi Hayley, Just wanted to say i'm sorry you have had this horrible upset. i'd be hurt too. I do feel for you, but hope you change your mind and don't let one strange individual upset you. I can't understand why someone would do that, but if I were you, I would email GR to let them know what has happened. Best wishes to you, whatever you decide to do.

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 14 Jun 2004 19:28

Hayley Don't give people the satisfaction of leaving gc/gr love Liz

Michelle

Michelle Report 14 Jun 2004 20:00

I added a thread earlier this afternoon about Addisons Disease and had two replies from a Daphne, when I came back on tonight those replies had been deleted. Someone playing funny b****rs again? M.

Michelle

Michelle Report 14 Jun 2004 20:06

I think my little bit was quite valid, because I would like to know why someone adds something to a thread and then deletes it. M.

Sand

Sand Report 14 Jun 2004 20:06

Hi Morffyd, Love your name! Love South Wales too--Caldicot Castle is one of my favourite places to visit! Complete change of subject, but did you know that JFK had Addison's disease?

Michelle

Michelle Report 14 Jun 2004 20:10

Sally, found out about JFK last night, apparently Addisons is quite rare. Never been to Caldicot Castle, yes Wales has it's pretty places. West Wales is lovely. M.

Michelle

Michelle Report 14 Jun 2004 20:22

Linda, I don't see the point in changing ones mind and adding to a thread, only to delete ones comments afterwards. It could have been Daphne, you mention, I'm not sure, but it would be nice to know if they were genuine comments, or someone being an a*se. M.

Sand

Sand Report 14 Jun 2004 20:27

Morfydd, I'm sorry--I misspelt your name earlier! I recommend Caldicot highly--it has a magic all of its own. They give you a tape tour to play as you go around--not usually my cup of tea, but it's fantastic, really captures the history of the place. I'm reading the Robert Dallek JFK biography at the moment--he spent most of his presidency on very high doses of steroids to treat the Addisons amongst other problems. With hindsight, he was probably hopelessly overprescribed too--fascinating stuff, though. Good luck in finding more info on the disease--the internet has been a huge help to me since discovering i have a medical condition. Hope you get the help you need.