General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Words/descriptions which you loathe/like?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

syljo

syljo Report 24 Jul 2004 14:58

I hate the word "missus", it makes me feel really small. I also dislike, and almost never use, the word "got". Takes me back to school days when my English teacher said "try not to use the word "got". Must have been a good teacher, because I rarely have the need to use it. Likeable words: harmonious, delicate, delightful. It seems on the "Ready, Steady, Cook" programme that Ainsley Harris can't find another word for "fantastic". He uses it at least 30 times! Also the constant use of the word "a bit of" when referring to water or milk. Surely it is "a drop of". Sylvia

syljo

syljo Report 24 Jul 2004 18:01

Yes Linda I agree with you about mothers shouting at children. I know they can be little imps at times, but it seems the more the mothers shout at them, the more the children scream. I had at one time 3 under 4 years so know what it is like sometimes not to shout.

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 24 Jul 2004 18:03

I hate it when people are being interviewed on tv and start off with 'well basically',,,and then proceed with a long and drawn out tale, using 'very much so'. in every other sentence,,, eeeekkkkkkk!!!

Flossie

Flossie Report 24 Jul 2004 18:05

I hate people calling me "love" or "sweetheart"

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 24 Jul 2004 18:13

I love fellow Scot Lorraine Kelly, but she really annoys me when she says "for sure" all the time. Victor in Big Brother saying "Innit" , so annoying. At school we were never allowed to describe anything as "nice" as there were plenty more descriptive words to use instead. Here in Edinburgh the most annoying one is people saying "ye Ken" at the end of every sentence. Christine PS Just read this back and realise I use the word annoy too much!!!! LOL

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 24 Jul 2004 18:59

the most descriptive word in the english language is "balls" - it sounds "round" on the tongue - conjures up roundness - and can be applied to soooooooo many situations - even football! Jacqui

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 24 Jul 2004 19:05

I also like the word "groin" - although it does set my teeth on edge! Jacqui

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 24 Jul 2004 19:13

There's a couple of words we use up here in Scotland that I think are great. One is a NYAFF...another descrition for a Ned, Chav type. Another is SCUNNERED ...when your irritated or fed up. And my favourite DEAD GALLUS...someone full of self confidence. Christine

The Hrt Man

The Hrt Man Report 24 Jul 2004 20:11

i am sorry to disapoint you all i call everybody missus or mister but iam common type person

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 24 Jul 2004 20:43

My English teacher was young, Scottish and beautiful. Her favourite word was melancholy. Sort of grew to be my favourite too. I wonder why? Bob

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 24 Jul 2004 21:05

Just remembered can't stand "somfink" instead of "something" on the eastenders! Bob

Fairy

Fairy Report 24 Jul 2004 21:22

I hate the new word 'default'. I don't understand what it means and I don't know anyone who can it explain it either. Surely fault means something wrong, so does de make it 'right'? Jo.

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 24 Jul 2004 21:39

Default means to be lacking, a failure to do something. So in computer terms it means the the instruction is missing or lacking. It does not mean the default setting is right. (clear as mud?) Bob

Andy

Andy Report 24 Jul 2004 21:39

I wouldn't go far as to say loathe, but the following get on my nerves... "The thing about it is...." "At the end of the day...." "To be honest...." "Do you get what I'm saying..." I know people who will use those particular phrases several times in a small conversation and it begins to grate!

Joy

Joy Report 24 Jul 2004 22:05

My other half doesn't like being referred to as hubby. We both get irritated when the weather forecasters say "there will be more in the way of cloud" or "there will be more in the way of sun" - what they actually mean is not what they are saying (I think!). Joy

Sarah

Sarah Report 24 Jul 2004 22:25

To Catherine Neild - I'm from Derby, but believe me it makes me cringe too! I'm a book-keeper for a local builder, and whenever he talks to his lads on site he calls them 'duck' and every time he says it I want to say 'quack quack'! lol

syljo

syljo Report 24 Jul 2004 22:54

As a child in London we had a neighbour who would keep saying "when alls said and done". What about people saying "you know" every time. My husband and I look at each other and say "no we don't know". Mind you we find ourselves saying these words too.

Joy

Joy Report 25 Jul 2004 09:31

And when you say something, and th other person says I know. How do they know / did they know? You've only just told them! Joy

Jan

Jan Report 25 Jul 2004 10:21

I hate the words "ballpark figure" my boss at work uses it in every sentence (Hope he doesnt read this) what on earth is it supposed to mean? It sounds too american for my liking!

syljo

syljo Report 25 Jul 2004 10:48

Yes, we too have friends who almost lipread what I'm saying and finish off my sentence for me. Such nice friends, that I couldn't say anything.