General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

can you remembertoys from the 70's and 80's that k

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa

Lisa Report 30 Jul 2004 22:21

can anyone remember back in the 70's and 80's the toys we were given for christmas to play with.i can remember the trick stick which was a yellow stick with red balls on the end and had i can only describe as looking like fish wire which you had to swing round in a circular movement and you could swing it round your head.remember any video games aswell like space invaders.ideas please!

Joy

Joy Report 30 Jul 2004 22:24

Oh dear, I wasn't a child then, and haven't had children, so can't join in this one. I shall watch from the sidelines. Joy

Lisa

Lisa Report 30 Jul 2004 22:29

can remember my brother was given a chopper bike for christmas and used to ride mad on it.there making a comeback but are retailing at nearly £200.00 now.rememberv the gears as well.there not putting the gears at the front now because they are deemed as a safety risk now.

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 30 Jul 2004 22:35

My Kids born 80, 81 and 84 had amongst other things Girls Tree house, the lid of the tree used to pop up to reveal a little house with people and furniture, fisher price stuff including sink and cooker hob, My little Ponies, loads of them with a castle, Rainbow Bright dolls plus the horse Starlight, Care Bears, Keepers ;animals with hidden compartments for hiding secrets, Etch a Scetch, Sindy and Barbie, (we always prefered Sindy) lots of Sindy furniture Son Duplo, Lego, TeenageTurtles, Tiny little cars cant recall what they were called, oh yeah Micro machines Cant remember anything else at the minute, most of it still in the attic Kathleen

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 30 Jul 2004 22:44

Mouse Trap Clackers Space hoppers Skate Board KerPlunk Shaker Maker Fuzzy Felts Mobil People TINY TEARS ( adored her ) ............ to think I thought I had forgotten all my fav's

Geoff

Geoff Report 30 Jul 2004 22:47

If they're not putting the handlebars on Chopper bikes at the front, where are they going to put them?

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Jul 2004 22:48

my kids were born in the 80s,and as theres only four years seperating the three of them,they tended to share their toys...except the stickle-bricks,i played with them lol...as they got a few years older,say aged 8/9 they would wont tvs,and cd players in their bedrooms...my two girls,neither was interested in dolls,they wanted a dog,so we bought sheba,10yrs ago,a labrador...best buy,ive ever made. bryan.

Geoff

Geoff Report 30 Jul 2004 22:48

Judith - many people still are!

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Jul 2004 23:07

Grown-ups played with Rubik's cube.

Tracey

Tracey Report 30 Jul 2004 23:13

My god lisa - trick stick!! I had one of those, crikey that brings back memories LoL! We also had a shaker maker, mousetrap, Mr Frosty, my warm bake oven, downfall, crossfire - to name a few. The best ones were the ones you made yourself! Did anyone else used to put a tennis ball in the end of an old tight and smack it against the wall!! We used to say as we were whacking it:- "want a cigarette sir, no sir, why sir, because i got a cold sir, from the north pole sir, what ya doing there sir, catching polar bears sir, how many did you catch sir, one sir, two sir, the other caught me sir" Have i got a good memory or what? Or am i just sad LOL!! Tracey

Margaret

Margaret Report 30 Jul 2004 23:20

Transformers, my lads loved those, and playdough fun factory, although I think you can still get that. Can remember getting them star wars stuff but not sure if that was in the early 90's

Abigail

Abigail Report 30 Jul 2004 23:39

I loved spirograph but when I was really tiny, before my brothers were born I remember girls shaking things that made a snapping sound, and the faster they went the more impressive everyone seemed to be. I don't know what they were though. We must have played outside a lot because the only other thing I remember is a board game called spooks. It had one character called a yellow devil but I can't remember anything else! Abigail

Abigail

Abigail Report 30 Jul 2004 23:41

Oh and I had a pippa doll - they don't make them anymore but they would be the perfect size for my little girl's dolls' house. And "Love IS..." stickers. I never had an album but a few of the girls in my class did and the cartoons were very sweet as I remember! Abigail

**Sheesh

**Sheesh Report 30 Jul 2004 23:48

Wendy, the shaking thing was probably clackers. They were 2 hard plastic balls on the end of string. They had a plastic handle thing you held and you shook your arm up and down and the balls clacked together. The faster you went, the harder they clacked lol. only thing was they hurt like a bugger if they hit your wrist.

Abigail

Abigail Report 30 Jul 2004 23:56

Yes, that's them! I was being pushed in a carriage pram at the time and my baby sitter was chatting to the two girls doing this outside the church! What memories Abigail

Jan

Jan Report 31 Jul 2004 00:16

Oh my god id forgotten about them Trick sticks! Tracy I used to play the stocking in a ball by the end of the day it grew so long you couldnt judge it right and whacked someone next to you in the eye and the daft song to go with it. I bet you played elastics as well :) I also had a rupert the bear space hopper. I always wanted a mr frosty and a operation I bought them for my kids and they were pants! I always played with lego we used to have a little box bought us each week from woolworths with different bits in like a man on a motorbike and stuff bit cheaper than the blinking PS games my kids want mind you we did have an atari with space invaders,pacman and pitfall on lol. Jan x

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 31 Jul 2004 02:14

One of the toys I remember was Escalado, a horse racing game. I loved that. We used to have 'seasons' for playing different things. There's be swapping paper scraps, then playing with two balls against a wall, roller skates, skipping ropes, elastics and another form of that we called chinese ropes. I remember my Dad making my brother and I stilts, they were great. My favourite dolls were Tressy, like Barbie but her hair grew and Sally Happy Talk. I remember my brother getting Evil Keneival, you wound him up and he could do 'stunt jumps' One that I still have is a Hanimex Pong Game. You play it through the T.V. My kids could hardly beleive we used to get excited playing it! Christine

Mags

Mags Report 31 Jul 2004 03:42

Weebles! Magsx

Christine

Christine Report 31 Jul 2004 04:27

Hi Lisa, I remember my brother getting a chopper for Christmas. My parents had bought it a bit before Christmas, and had it delivered to my grandmothers. After we were in bed, my grandmother had brought it over and my parents and her were enjoying a pre-christmas drink, when the tyre exploded. Apparently, due to the troubles in Ireland at the time, they thought a bomb had exploded outside, (we lived in Scotland!). Everyone hit the floor, expecting the worst. Can you imagine trying to repair a burst Tyre in the middle of the night , on Christmas Eve, before we woke up. They did it, and to this day, I don't think my brother Knows what happened. Bye the way, my brother is now 42 years old. Christine.

Christine

Christine Report 31 Jul 2004 04:38

Hi All, I've just related the story of my brother's chopper but does anyone remember the doll, Mary- Make up. I always wanted a Barbie doll,( were talking mid sixties here,) They were expensive then. Instead, I got a Mary Make Up. None of my friends had evey heard of her, neither had I. To this day, I have never found anyone who had a Mary Make up. Was this doll, a figment of my imagination? Can someone please own up to at least having HEARD of his doll. Christine.