General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

"Early retirement room" please come in

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 7 Aug 2004 13:16

That made you all look to see who was in here didnt it. Quite a few us on the site have retired from work was it because we wanted to (i wanted to enjoy my senior years lol or was it because some of us had reached retirment age or illness. Margaret

June

June Report 7 Aug 2004 14:06

I took early retirement Margaret and have never regretted it, I just haven't got the time for everything as it is, never mind work.

Valice in

Valice in Report 7 Aug 2004 14:13

I retired 4 yrs ago and never regretted it, looking forward to getting my pension later this year, my husband also retired early just over 2 yrs ago, we wondered how he would like it as he's always on the go, but he loves it too, It now means we can go to tea dances together, and take more and longer holidays.

Sandra

Sandra Report 7 Aug 2004 14:16

hi margaret i was medically retired almost 3 years ago, due to an injury by a client at work. i'm 42 and though i love being at home, and looking after my grandaughter, and enjoying my hobbies I wish i could be back at work, for the company, and the wages. I hate living on incapacity benefit, and being on my own. still i have my friends here for a laugh lol sandra

Chrissy

Chrissy Report 7 Aug 2004 14:20

I retired at 60 2 & a half years ago not from choice it was a ruling at that time in the goverment dept i worked in ,i even finished 2 weeks early as i caught shingles, on reflection retiring was the best thing i did WONDERFUL tho not enough hours in the day now. Chrissy.

Supergran

Supergran Report 7 Aug 2004 14:22

My Hubbie took early retirement two years ago. We had a car repair garage in the UK for thirty years & he loved it but the amount of petty rules & regulations that the government imposed on small businesses got to us in the end & we sold up & moved to Cyprus. Couldn't afford to live in England with no income!! Our "council tax" is only £40.00 a year here & the quality of life is great! Brenda ps Does anyone holiday in Paphos?

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 7 Aug 2004 14:59

I took early retirement two years ago at 57, and love every minute of it . . . . . in fact it's the best job I've had since I left school ! ! ! We enjoy looking after our large garden and creating new areas in it - just finished a rockery. Next project is a secret place at the bottom of the garden where we can enjoy a quiet glass of wine or two. It's also good to be able to go on holiday whenever we can. I'd like to buy a "Retirement Clock", it would just show the days of the week, not hours ! Brenda in Cyprus. We are coming to northern Cyprus (Kyrenia) 2nd October for two weeks - what will the weather be like?

Julia

Julia Report 7 Aug 2004 15:21

I had to retire at 58 with ill health, hubby had been at home for about 10 years , also retired with health problems and I did wonder how we would get on. but it's been great. We both have our own interest's but were hear if one needs the other Julia

Lizrr

Lizrr Report 7 Aug 2004 15:27

Hello like you said saw the post and i let myself in. Took early retirement so i could look after my grandkids did not want them to have to go to Child minders. Never regreted it and i have only one now to look after and he is going to School after the holidays. What i do miss is having good laughs with my workmates.

Joy

Joy Report 7 Aug 2004 17:05

William, what do you think of retirement? Joy

(eyes)

(eyes) Report 7 Aug 2004 17:06

I wish I could retire sob sob sob

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 7 Aug 2004 19:23

hi everyone I may have to take early retirement this year,can anyone give me some advice on how to keep myself busy but enjoy retirement at the same time.No partner but plenty of family and friends. but they will all be working.I know I could get on with family tree but I dont want to be at the computer all day and night.I hate crowded places so can anyone suggest things to do please. thanks sue

(eyes)

(eyes) Report 7 Aug 2004 20:28

Do you have any animals susan ?

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 7 Aug 2004 20:53

hi (eyes) just 4 cats but they more or less take care of themselves cos they can open their plastic canister with their dry food in.wouldn't like to be a volunteer for animals cos it would break my heart if any one of them passed away. sue

Essex Baz

Essex Baz Report 7 Aug 2004 20:58

I`m jealous, I`ve another 8 years to go yet, that`s assuming the Government don`t raise the retirement age to 70. Sobbing uncontrollably.

(eyes)

(eyes) Report 7 Aug 2004 21:01

Know what you mean susan, I was gonna suggest you have animals, they are great company but you already have cats. There are other things you can do on the pc and other forums you can join maybe to do with a hobby you like. They usually have meetings where you can get to see each other. It could be fun :)

Margaret

Margaret Report 7 Aug 2004 21:03

Oh Baz I am sorry that you still have got to work please dont cry here is a hankie It will soon come round to retirment day if that makes you feel better Margaret

Valice in

Valice in Report 7 Aug 2004 21:32

Sue, if you got plenty of family & friends, I'm sure it won't be too much of a problem being retired, we all wonder now how we found time to go out and work!! Your local library may have some lists of daytime activities, there are people who go walking, line dancing good for active singles to name but a few, and there are always voluntary organisations looking for volunteers. Enjoy yourself

sandra rogers

sandra rogers Report 7 Aug 2004 21:35

hiya i have another 3 yrs to go but i have got my pension forcast and it is better than i thought just hope there is enough money in the pot

Essex Baz

Essex Baz Report 7 Aug 2004 23:36

Margaret, Thanks for the hanky, not big enough I`m afraid, need a sheet. sob sob.