General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

school dinner's what can you remember

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sally

Sally Report 20 Aug 2004 06:09

I left school 1955 The only thing I remember was the Chocolate Crunch mmmmmm When my five children went to school they said the same, so I got them to get the receipe. Have now lost it and would love to make it for my grandchildren. Anyone got it???????? Would be grateful.

Poolmaster

Poolmaster Report 20 Aug 2004 08:32

i remember white spaghetti and weak orange squash in fake gold jugs. and trying to eat a whole cream doughnut without licking your lips! paul...

Jen

Jen Report 20 Aug 2004 08:32

dinners where horrible but did like the minted custard with cakes:)

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 20 Aug 2004 09:19

mashed lumpy potato dished out in ice cream scoops....yuk!!!

Lisa

Lisa Report 20 Aug 2004 10:16

different coloured custard.green pink, white, chocolate custard.the most awful thing was the cabbage was very soggy .

Julie

Julie Report 20 Aug 2004 10:20

the mash potatoes and sponge pudding and custard

Julie

Julie Report 20 Aug 2004 10:21

semolina, pink custard, tapioka (looked like frog spawn, yuk)

BrianW

BrianW Report 20 Aug 2004 10:34

Sad, but I loved frog spawn pudding, along with tapioca et al, so long as I managed to stop the cook dumping jam in it.

Fee

Fee Report 20 Aug 2004 10:42

Lovely dinners.Roast chicken,roast beef,roast potatoes,veg,gravy.Chocolate sponge and custard.Pink Custard,chocolate custard,apple crumble.I enjoyed the peas though,not to eat but to catapult at other people!

Philip

Philip Report 20 Aug 2004 10:43

Primary school - swede (like eating nettles), sago (frog spawn) yuk! Boarding school - lumpy porrage (yuk), toad in the hole with lots of gravy (great!) Work - fruit crumbles (really great!) Philip

Lisa

Lisa Report 20 Aug 2004 10:46

brian i love semolina pudding but it has to be hot not cold with a little strawbeery jam in it.

Suzy

Suzy Report 20 Aug 2004 11:07

My favourite was 'gypsy tart' Who remembers that?

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Aug 2004 11:32

At primary school we were really lucky and had a wonderful cook. I think all schools must have had the same recipes though, as we all seem to have had the same food just cooked in different ways! Secondary school wasn't as good, we had a canteen system but at least we could choose. I did a short spell of work experience back at my own primary school and yes, you've guessed it, I stayed for school dinners!! Yummm. Mandy :)

M

M Report 20 Aug 2004 11:45

Left school in 1965 loved school dinners all except fridays which was always boiled to death Fish "YUK"

June

June Report 22 Aug 2004 07:31

I remember having to eat meat, we weren't allowed to leave until we had eaten everything, and I didn't like meat. the meat always had fat and gristle so we used to fight to sit by the windows because along that side there were iron grids that let the warm air up from the cellars. We used to drop the fat and gristle through the grids to the cellar, we never got found out so I presume there were mice or something down there that enjoyed our dinner.

Linda

Linda Report 22 Aug 2004 10:15

I left school in 1964 and thought that the school dinners were very good. Unlike the unhealthy meals that seem to get given to the children nowadays.

Jojo

Jojo Report 22 Aug 2004 10:38

Brick wall and Cement!!!!!!!!!! Chocolate cornflakes with chocolate custard yum yum.

Valice in

Valice in Report 22 Aug 2004 13:54

diced beetroot and butter beans