General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

UNWANTED VISITORS

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 30 Aug 2004 12:15

Heeellllpp !!!!! See below ..... !!

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 30 Aug 2004 12:18

Got back from holiday to find we have been invaded by mice. Not very happy and now trying to get rid of them. We have some poison down and also 2 traps, but no sign of any bodies yet. What I am really hoping is that someone who has done this before can recommend a good bait for the traps as we are not sure what to use. Any help would be greatly appreciated as we have two small kids and the squatters are in the kitchen. As a result the contents of my kitchen are in all the other rooms of the house! Just want rid of them as quick as poss for the sake of hygiene and health. Thank you all in advance! Maz. XX ps - gotta go out for the afternoon, so will check back later for replies ...

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Aug 2004 12:21

Maz I've only had one mouse in my house - a little field mouse that shot across the floor when I was watching tv late at night alone. I saw it out of the corner of my eye and thought it might be a rat. Husband spotted it later. We got a humane trap (catches, but doesn't injure or kill). Husband put porridge oats in it and seconds later it was caught. We drove out to the fields and released it into the wild. Husband said I was being sentimental and that it would probably be owl's dinner before too long. nell

Shan

Shan Report 30 Aug 2004 12:24

Maz, talk to you local council, they will be able to advise you as to the best way to deal with them Shan

Annie

Annie Report 30 Aug 2004 12:25

Hi Maz The most tempting thing for the mice in my kitchen was chocolate. We put poison near the choc and it did get rid of them. The aroma of dead mouse in the gas boiler is not pleasant! It crawled in there - I didn't put it there .. Had some people over earlier in the week who had long term problem with mice and had tried everything. In the end it was poison and choc that got them. Mind you she told me one day she was so sick of them raiding the larder that she put pepper all round the floor and shelves. In the evening she was quietly pottering in the kitchen and heard a set of teeny tiny achoo's ! Good luck A

June

June Report 30 Aug 2004 13:04

The first one,we caught straight away with cheese, then we got another Nick Samantha and Gary chased it and it ran up Gary's sleeve, so he took it out in the fields. then I couldn't believe it, 4 months later we got another, this one wasn't for leaving and it wasn't taking any bait. It was making me ill so I called in the Local Council, the man that came said it was coming in for the warmth and getting its food elsewhere anyway he put poison down in places my little dog couldn't get to and thank goodness that was the end of the matter. It cost me £30, I thought it was well worth it just to be able to sleep again.( I forgot to mention, it got in the cavities and scratched away all night.) June

Pat

Pat Report 30 Aug 2004 13:54

An aunt of mine swore by small fried bacon bits, she always said cheese was useless for house mice don't know about the field mice preferences. We had a mouse a couple of years ago, I did not know until I went to give my cat some of his dried biscuits as I lifted them out of the cupboard some fell out of the bottom, the blighter had chewed through a bit of the bottom to get to the biscuits, turns out over the next week we found out there was a whole family living behind the cupboard in the kitchen, the cat got the lot and we filled in the hole and never had any since. Good luck, Pat x

Melanie

Melanie Report 30 Aug 2004 14:10

Maz, We had mice in the loft, use chocolate instead of cheese you will find it works better. Good luck Melanie

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 30 Aug 2004 14:27

Hi Maz, Just had this problem in our kitchen too! Bread spread with peanut butter works wonders, I caught 12 with it. My cupboard under the sink (where the little blighters were) is now the cleanest place in my house! Rebecca p.s. they don`t like chips.

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 30 Aug 2004 15:15

Hi Maz: We also used the humane traps and couldn't catch any with cheese. We were told by the exterminator at my husband's work to use peanut butter. So we made sure we placed the traps against a wall, as mice tend to stay close to walls, and used peanut butter and it took a while (we had a mice family) but we caught them all. Good luck. PS I used to feed the birds and squirrels, which was a welcome mat to the mice. I was told that the mice can enter a house through a hole the size of an "American dime", so we went around the house, trying to caulk up all openings. PPS :~) After rereading this thread, it reminded me -- my older son lives in the downstairs room. The mice found his wrapped chocolate and ate that (they didn't care too much for the wrapping)!

sandra rogers

sandra rogers Report 30 Aug 2004 15:17

hiya maz we had one inour yard at the weekend my hubby put raw bacon in the trap and he got it

☼♥Missy

☼♥Missy Report 30 Aug 2004 15:37

My neighbour always used to put down pieces of fruit cake or biscuits to catch mice - she too always said they didn't really like cheese. We had one in the house once and it used to run past our three cats while they were eating and they showed no interest in it whatsoever. (Probably thought it was just another pet!) Elfx

Judy

Judy Report 30 Aug 2004 16:20

I've had much success in the past with a small piece of bread with a little peanut butter placed in the trap. J

Lucky

Lucky Report 30 Aug 2004 16:24

When we first moved in here we didn't know it had been empty for 2 years, mice were seen!! Chocolate was definately the best thing, caught several. No more isnce. Diane

Jojo

Jojo Report 30 Aug 2004 16:29

Hi , we live in a house surrounded by fields, earlier this year we had a problem not only with mice but the odd RAT, they were coming up to the house looking for food( BLESS EM ) . Cat was a complete waste of time, he was more frighten than us. Poison will kill them, but if they die under floor boards or cupboards they smell awful, then you have to contend with the flies(YUK). We found the best bait in a trap was Kit Kat.Hope all well soon. Joanne.

lou from leicestershire

lou from leicestershire Report 30 Aug 2004 17:02

you cud try getting a cat

Annie

Annie Report 30 Aug 2004 23:18

Oh nightmare. RAT is worse. Last November we put our house on the market and the day the Estate Agent came to take photos A RAT ran in from the garden. It was like that fawlty towers sketch. I was poking at the rat under the hall table while I was standing on the stairs with a broom. (Actually that was more like Tom and Jerry). I texted my husband at work and he texted me back 'I am 30 miles away, what can i do about it' In the end it ran into the back room and SAT ON THE TOP OF MY PC MONITOR. I was hysterical. The rat made a leap towards the piano and my lovely little rescue dog, Ffion, leapt in the air and bit it in the throat and killed it. She was standing there quivering with excitement. I had to bribe her with a Bonio to let go. When my husband came home I wanted to show him the dead rat in the rubbish but he was too cowardly to look ...] We managed to sell the house anyway and the rat never showed in the photos. xxx A xxx

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 31 Aug 2004 00:01

We had mice an few years ago and caught them with bread. We set mouse traps for them and I must admit that I did feel guilty for killing them! I have also stopped feeding bread to the birds and stopped chasing away the neighbours' cats. Finger crossed, we haven't had them since. Maggy

Deb Vancouver (18665)

Deb Vancouver (18665) Report 31 Aug 2004 05:18

Peanut butter on the trap. I guarantee that it works!

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 31 Aug 2004 09:04

A very big thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply. We will keep you posted!! Annie, I'm sorry but your rat story is hilarious!!! Maz. XX