General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Why you chose the name you did for you animal, be

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

(eyes)

(eyes) Report 1 Sep 2004 22:20

We have 4 cats, one is called Drac (short for Dracula) because he is all black and his cannines protrude, oh and he drinks blood. One is called Muggsy because he came to us starving 5 yrs ago and now eats everything going including electrical wiring and has gone through one under blanket and 2 bed side lamps, several phone cables etc. and now is the the same size as a barn door and goes arround mugging folk cos he is big enough to. The lady of the house is called Lucy (short for Lucy Locket, what have you in your pocket) because she came to us a stray and pregnant. And last but by no means least there is GREEBO, he is a typical teenager who stands on street corners in his studded jacket picking on southern cats, he is named after Nanny Hogs cat in the Terry Pratchett books, Disc World who goes arround picking fights.

Jo

Jo Report 1 Sep 2004 22:21

We have 2 labs, 1 called D-for (D for Dog) and the other called R-Lee (R is for Reeder, my surname, and Lee is my husbands middle name) Jo

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Sep 2004 22:27

Our imaginary thre legged tailless kitten is called Mucus. We call him Mu cus that's the noise he makes.

Mags

Mags Report 1 Sep 2004 22:42

Our present cat, originally our son's but he emigrated, is called Gandalf. He's a silver tabby Maine Coone - so 'the Grey Wizard' seemed appropriate. Our last two, mother and son, Tigger because she was a stripey tabby and her son we called Charlie. Charlie was coal black and there was a bike shop in Dunstable called Charlie Cole's - so we named the kitten after him! (Charlie Cole was a well known cyclist in his day). Our first cat was called Sophie. She was a tortoiseshell with a black patch over one eye. We went from Nelson (because of the patch) to Napoleon and, because she was female, from there to Josephine and Sophie as a derivative from that! What a palaver for a cat! lol Magsx

Valice in

Valice in Report 1 Sep 2004 22:57

We had a dog called Sandy because of it's colour, it died of old age and we buried it in the garden complete with a little wooden cross bearing his name. When we came to sell the house I said it would be best to take the name down, you never know how others would feel about it. Just as well we did the chap who bought the house was called SANDY.

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Sep 2004 22:59

Our dog was already named Lady and did'nt like to change it . Our first cat a beautiful grey and white was called Soddy Sonnie - Sonnie for short, cause she was just that, a little s-d!!! A rescue cat all grey,could have been a Russian Blue had 3 legs,so we called him Bounce,cause he did!!!!! The one who died in March was Smudge, son named her(his brithday pressie)cause she had a smudge on tail and the one we have now is Jimmy,when you call him its J I M M Y,(in a loudish voice), he's so layed back, when he arrived he came into lounge got up on the sofa layed down and fell off!!!! He's abit like the english council workman.Usually known as Jimbob. A Cockatial we had in Sussex was called Woody, he pecked!!!!!!!! Jude sarf wales

(eyes)

(eyes) Report 1 Sep 2004 23:09

I had a three legged cat, she was a rescue and I called her cassy, short for hop along cassidy. She wasn't amused. She lived till she was 15 and was a lovely lass :)

(eyes)

(eyes) Report 1 Sep 2004 23:14

I remember bite your legs norman, that was a while ago :) when Leeds was top of the division, Them were the days. Nobby Clarke etc.

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Sep 2004 23:17

One of the dogs that walked up the drive(stray) some months ago was a Yellow Lab - l named him Cracker cause he was!!! My mum used to breed English Bull Terriers, one was called Fish, cause he had a mark on his back the shape of one.Another called Tomba, don't no why,but dad had been in Africa in RAF so presumably it was an African name - anyone know what it means???? Jude sarf wales

(eyes)

(eyes) Report 1 Sep 2004 23:27

It was a while ago then Rose, you both from up t north lass ? :)

(eyes)

(eyes) Report 1 Sep 2004 23:35

lol Rose, I am from up t north and now live darn sarf and the cats are from up t north, hence their HARD :)

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 1 Sep 2004 23:41

Years ago I found a kitten, well if that's what you could call it at the time. She was about 3 weeks old, covered in ticks and had a deformed front left leg with only 2 toes. I called her Tootsie 2 Toes, but hubby refused point plank to call her that! One day caught her running up the curtains so renamed her Monkey. Had to take 'Monkey' to the vets urgently when we moved, when I got there they were waiting with gaunlets on! As all I had said on the phone was "can I bring my Monkey down urgently" you should have seen their faces as she was so small. She was 16 when she died

(eyes)

(eyes) Report 1 Sep 2004 23:44

Brian, greebo is on the train as we speak :)

(eyes)

(eyes) Report 1 Sep 2004 23:46

Kim, that is a good age for for such a bad start, a loveing family I bet :)

(eyes)

(eyes) Report 1 Sep 2004 23:54

Why, I'm not stopping lol. See you soon (british rail god willing) Bite your legs greebo x

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 1 Sep 2004 23:58

Eyes, Yes it was, but I think she just lived that long 'cause she hated humans and wanted to give them as much grief as possible! But she was gorgeous and had the most fantastic markings, a tabby and both sides were totally symetrical. Still miss her, and so does the dog. He saw a cat a few weeks ago that looked so much like her and he went to lick it, did he get a shock when it went for him!! We are cruel to the dog, she died 4 years ago, but to this day, if you say to Jack "Where's Monkey" he still searches the house!

Sam

Sam Report 1 Sep 2004 23:59

Mine was a cute little girl kitten called Daisy...until one day she went to the Vets and came back having had a sex change. I had always planned on having a female cat so had no male names ready. After looking on a website for cat names, I only got to the 'B's before getting bored - so Barney it is!! Sam

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Sep 2004 00:00

First cat, Korky, second cat Mickie ( we were children) Second and third cats (brother and sister) Basil ,and meant to be Sybil (Fawlty towers) but she wasn't quite bossy enough, so Tansy, then when she got fat, Tootsie. Fourth cat (daughter of Tansy, fed from her for 2 years! - Dilly (not quite 'there') Present cat was a stray already caled Sophie. Now usually called Po because of her 'Po' face. I walk in the gate, she strolls up to me and I say 'Hi Po'! (Hypo - not very active) Maggie

(eyes)

(eyes) Report 2 Sep 2004 00:03

Kim, I think most cats hold us in disdain and eh lets face it, they are right to do so lol, we feed them and pamper them and they rule the roost and I wouldnt part with them for the world :)

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 2 Sep 2004 00:08

Eyes Hubby said he would leave if I bought another kitten home. Saw a sign yesterday "Kittens for Sale" really really tempted! Kim ;-)))