General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Latest News

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Sep 2004 15:57

Below is a very candid update of where I am - if you get upset easily - don't read it, please.

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Sep 2004 15:57

First of all, I don’t mind sharing this with you. Being honest and open does help me and after sooooo many emails – I know that many of you want an honest update on what has gone on. Some of you would have had an email after my lung biopsy – and what a palaver that was (and not painful at all – honest). For those of you not in the know : the biopsy results showed what appeared to be 2 primary cancers – a breast one and a lung one. They had 3 pathology experts opinions and then 5 oncologists discussed the case and as of this Tuesday – the cancer was in my oncologist’s terms – a “mish mash”. This meant that they were finding it difficult to know which way to go as in the concoction of chemo i.e. not knowing whether it is a breast or a lung cancer as the chemo would only hit one of them. Only one other test to do which might give direction. The results of that test came through today. The cancer is an extremely aggressive and invasive lung cancer (the primary) and the breast lump is a secondary. This does mean that my chemo concoction is now definitive and it will hit both tumours. The chemotherapy is palliative – it will NOT prolong my life. Here is the honest truth (which I have totally accepted now), my chances of surviving this VERY rare type of cancer are nil. To give you an example – Lance Armstrong’s chances of surviving his cancer was 40%, so a bit of difference there – and I am NOT being negative. So, that leaves me with approximately 9 – 12 months to live. Time to enjoy what I have left while I feel well enough to do it. Nope, I’m not gonna sit in a corner and hide. Nope, am not gonna tear around like the proverbial fly and wear myself out. And no, I am not scared of dying. My biggest worry? Husband Rob, I feel for him soooo much that he has to watch me go through this – and then he has to start again with a very different life. And there’s the kids too. And finally ……………… can’t wait for 16th October to meet so many of you. Much love and hugs – thanks for being there/here Gaynor xxxx

badger

badger Report 2 Sep 2004 16:03

,Gaynor we are with you all the way.no matter what. and thanks for sharing it with us ,i won,t be complaining about my condition any more as i feel i would be letting you down,love and hugs,Fred,and Lizxxx

Fee

Fee Report 2 Sep 2004 16:05

Gaynor, I really wasnt sure of the extent of your condition.Now that I have read your thread,I am both shocked and in admiration of the way you speak and think.I only hope that you continue to find the strength and courage that you are displaying at the minute and my thoughts are for you,Rob and your children,to make every moment count.No doubt I am bad with words but I wish I had half your positive attitude and your courage.Love to you all,Fee B x

Mags

Mags Report 2 Sep 2004 16:09

My mate Gaynor - you are one incredible lady!! Lots of love Magsxx

Lisa

Lisa Report 2 Sep 2004 16:14

gaynor your honesty has touched me so much about accepting the enevitable which being me i could not cope.but just hearing your story has made me realise we're not immortal and it could happen to any one of us.i can say that i am very moved by all this and upset for you and even though i do not know you personally have shed a tear.but you want us all to be strong for you and to be there when your down just to be a shoulder to cry on and i speak not just for me but all the members we're here for you ,rob and your family anytime of the day or night.saying a prayer for you now.love and hugs lisaxxxxxxxx(:

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 2 Sep 2004 16:14

Gaynor --- you are a power to us all. Love to You, Rob and the family Malcolm & Pat

Tykerose

Tykerose Report 2 Sep 2004 16:16

Gaynor Thanks for the update Hun we are with you all the way as you know Huggggssss much love Jan

syljo

syljo Report 2 Sep 2004 16:29

Yes Gaynor, you are really remarkable. Although I myself have had cancer, I could get by with only ........(can't remember the English name) treatments. I had 22 in all and 1 internal. I believe chemotherapy is much harsher, and then what.............? Mind you in the next 6 months they could come through with a breakthrough. A local shopkeeper here was also diagnosed negative with so many months to live, but had a second opinion and he's still with us. Don't give up!! Thinking about you every day, Sylvia xxx

Nanna Gaynor  (June nr Preston's Daughter)

Nanna Gaynor (June nr Preston's Daughter) Report 2 Sep 2004 16:34

((((((((( Gaynor )))))))))) - what can I say? I only know you through my Mum who has always spoken of you with affection and respect, and even though we have never met, I do feel that you are someone I have warm regard for. I admire you courage and strength which is inspirational. Love and sincerest best wishes Gaynor, June nr Preston's daughter xxxxxxxxxxxxx p.s. It's not over till it's over

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 2 Sep 2004 16:37

i admire you Gaynor, actually i admire you and Rob. To be honest words fail me, but i am sending you both warm hugs, love and kisses. -x-x-x-

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Sep 2004 16:38

Gaynor, thank you for sharing that with us and I hope it also helped you to write it all down. I think you have us all in awe of your courage. You teach us all a lesson that we should be enjoying every minute of every day because we just don't know what is round the corner, and the other lesson is that life is too short for petty squabbles. I don't know you personally, although we have shared these boards for some months, but from now on you are certainly my role model. I hope that, if ever I am in similar circumstances to you I will be as positive and brave. I hope that your positive attitude to this invasion of your body will prolong good quality life for you. How old are your children Gaynor? I know your daughter has been on here so I feel they are old enough to support Rob and vice versa. Please do tell them that we are here for all of them if they want to chat, and I am sure they can also e mail any of us any time too. for yourself, and you have to put yourself first now. Do what you enjoy doing, laughter is good medicine and you get plenty of that on here. Take care. with love Ann Glos

Debbie

Debbie Report 2 Sep 2004 16:41

Gaynor You are one very brave Lady, you are an inspiration to us all. Dont rush around too much sit and rest now and again. Love to you and all your Family. Debbie XXX

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Sep 2004 16:44

Ann, Jack, my daughter is 31 and my son John is 28. Yes, they will both be there for Rob even though he is not their dad - they both think the world of him. I tell everybody I had my daughter when I was 12 !!! Think it might be time to come clean!! Many of you have asked and I should have put it in the thread - I am 50. Lots of love Gaynor xxx

Lisa

Lisa Report 2 Sep 2004 16:49

yes gaynor we're all here for you and the family.love and hugsxxxxxx(:

Tracey

Tracey Report 2 Sep 2004 16:55

Gaynor, I don't mind admitting that i did get upset but i had to read it. Please carry on being strong cos you're one helluva courageous lady!! My love, hugs and kisses to you all. Tracey xx

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 2 Sep 2004 16:57

Gaynor, you are an inspiration to us all, much love to you and your family, karen x

Lindy

Lindy Report 2 Sep 2004 17:10

Gaynor, Thank you for going into detail as I thought it might be too intrusive to ask. What can I say that has not already been said.? You are loved by all your friends on genes. Love hugs and prayers to you and your family. Lindy xx

JackyJ1593

JackyJ1593 Report 2 Sep 2004 17:15

May we all find the same depth of strength to support and help you through as you have found to accept and tell us about your condition. Great admiration for someone who is obvioulsy a remarkable lady. Love and hugs to you all. Jacky xx

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 2 Sep 2004 17:17

Gaynor - Your courage and candour are inspirational, stay positive. Sheila xx