General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

pet insurance a must............

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa

Lisa Report 2 Sep 2004 16:45

if you don't want to be taking out a loan.we had our cat checked over and they had to sedate the cat first to look inside it's mouth for an obstruction.with the consultation,sedation,three days worth of antibiotics it came to a grand total of one hundred and thirty two pounds.luckily we had insurance so only had to pay out seventy pounds excess.he has to have dentistry which if we weren't insured would have cost us over two hundred pounds!if you have pets i would advice insurance other wise you will be hit with a hefty bill!xxxx(:

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 2 Sep 2004 16:52

hi, my cat fluffy was quite poorly a couple of months ago. i was cuddling her one night and as i stroked her tail it felt really odd and bumpy, so we cut away some of her fur (i say some but there was a big enough pile of it!!) and it looked like someone had cut the whole way round her tail with a blunt knife. To this day we still dont know how on earth she did it because she doesnt go out! Anyway we rushed her to the vets and they gave her some antibiotics to clear away any infection and bandaged her up- that cost us £80. A couple of weeks later when we took her back the vet said that they were going to have to amputate her tail- i was distraught- this cat is my baby and even worse they would have to keep her in over night. All night while she was away i didnt get a wink of sleep...Ozzy my other cat kept crying for her and wouldnt settle. Thankfully she is back now, with half a tail but still the most gorgeous tarty flirtiest cat you can ever see- but the op cost us £150!!!! Steph -x-

Lisa

Lisa Report 2 Sep 2004 16:56

steph know how you feel.our cat was attacked by a fox or a large animal and he nearly had to have his back leg amputated.luckily that did not happen but that set us back two hundred and fifty pounds that is why it is better to have insurance.we pay seven pounds a month.have you got insurance?xxx(:

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 2 Sep 2004 17:03

No we dont. We have never really thought about it cos our cats never go out (they are too afraid too!) Awww poor kitty!! My friends cat was pregnant and she dissapeared for the night, when she came back she had given birth but my friend didnt know when the kittens were! She finally managed to find them but only one survived as the others had been got by a fox, its so sad when things like that happen isnt it! And did you know that if you run over a dog, apparently that by law you must report it to the police, but if run over a cat you dont need to report it to anyone....i think thats bad!!!xx

Lisa

Lisa Report 2 Sep 2004 17:06

trust me steph in the long run it is worth it.my mum was hit by an eight hundred pound bill and she had to get out a loan to pay for it.petplan are good and i know more than will insure your cat for eight pound a month and the excess is cheaper fifty five pounds.it's worth thinking about.xxx(:

pinkflamingo

pinkflamingo Report 2 Sep 2004 17:09

My border collie badly cut her paw last year (have never found out what on) and had to have an emergency op. We were back and forth to the vets for quite a few weeks and clocked up a bill of £800 + thank heavens we were insured. We submitted the bill on the Monday and had cheque on the Thursday. Had to pay the first £50 but boy were we relieved. Christine

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 2 Sep 2004 17:10

i think i will definatley sort that out!! thanks for the advice!!xx

Lisa

Lisa Report 2 Sep 2004 17:13

christine i agree the people that don't insure there pets will have hefty bills as there pets get older.if your pet had to have medication,dentistry special diet it would all come out of their pockets.all for the sake of seven pounds a month it's not worth leaving the insurance out and being hit with a steep bill.do it now!xxxx(:

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 2 Sep 2004 17:21

Definitely get insurance Steph - you never know when the slightest thing may happen - an awful dilema too if faced with deciding what to do for the best coz you dont have the money! When I took my eldest cat for his jabs in February, I mentioned to the vet about his insatiable appetite - he's a lean cat anyway but was getting thinner - and he was becoming very hyperactive - turned out he had to have one of his thyroid glands removed. Bill for that was in excess of £400 - insured with Tescos - about £12 a month for 2 cats - £40 excess................small price to pay really. Now I have to go back with him again tonight as I think the other one is going now :(

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 2 Sep 2004 17:23

awww poor thing....yes i think i will get that sorted then!

Lisa

Lisa Report 2 Sep 2004 17:26

steph your be thankful in the long run.hope my thread helpedxxxxx(:

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 2 Sep 2004 17:29

it did, thank you all!!! xxxx

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Sep 2004 18:42

We had insurance for our Lady,definately worth doing - but be careful - about 2 yrs ago she was poisoned and had permanent liver damage - she needed various xrays,ultra sound, special diet,sedation for blood tests etc etc the insurance company only paid out for one yr per condition/illness and each yr the excess went up - so by the time Lady was put to sleep the excess was £120, which meant we had to pay the first £120 on anything new. They have generally paid us but because of her age (11yrs) it was getting more expensive. So when looking for insurance check them all out for age limit and excess etc Jude sarf wales (getting very excited cause we are going to Worcester at the w/end looking at dogs!!!!!):o)

Essex Baz

Essex Baz Report 2 Sep 2004 19:01

Hi Lisa, Totally agree with the pet insurance. We paid out £1700,over the course of a year, for our lurcher, and got nearly every penny back, apart from the initial excess. We have just got a new puppy, and she is once again insured, wouldn`t be without it.

Fairy

Fairy Report 2 Sep 2004 19:15

I agree. When we came back to the UK from Belgium, we had rented out our house which was a wreck (another story) The garden was a complete jungle. The next day the dog came in the back door from the garden trailing blood everywhere. She had cut her paw very deeply and needed an emergency operation on a Saturday night. It turned out that the b-----ds who lived here had thrown all their wine bottles out in the garden and several had broken. It cost us £350 and the Belgian pet insurance would'nt cover us as it did'nt happen in Belgium. Jo.

David

David Report 2 Sep 2004 20:30

It would be worth checking with your vet to find out which is the best for your pet, as they will have a good idea from all the dealings they have with different agents. My vet does one of his own. David

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Sep 2004 20:45

Baz - talking about Lurchers, how much exercise can they take, its just that we love the look of some Lurchers and Greyhounds, but peole keep saying they only need 20 min walks - we walked our Lady (when she was up to it) for an hour or sometimes 2 everyday and she had 3-4 walks aday.2-3 of those were quickies about 20 mins. Jude sarf wales:o)

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 2 Sep 2004 22:41

I always insured my dogs and was glad i had. They were Cavaliers and used to pick up grass seeds and those dreadfulgrass Spears. The last one I had seemed to need operations to remove them at least once each summer. I didn't insure my last cat and she cost me a fortune over the last four yearsI used Pet Plan. They were very efficient. I notice Saga also offer pet insurance now. Rosemary(Essex)

Annie

Annie Report 2 Sep 2004 23:24

Hiya If you have a sick pet and are really stuck financially then the local PDSA might be able to help if you ring them. I have a friend who has lost her job and is stuck, they have been marvellous with her dog. I'm with PetPlan and it's been a real blessing because my poor ole rescue dog FFion has had recurrent Mange and now has been diagnosed with arthritis - it's been real value for money. Annie

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 5 Sep 2004 21:49

Dorothy, that sounds so sad, it must have been awful.Have you still got the other one?..