General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone planning to visit Plymouth Naval Museum?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Daniel

Daniel Report 2 Oct 2004 16:56

If so, I was wondering if you could do me a favour. :-)

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Oct 2004 19:29

Dan, tell your Auntie Mandy what the favour is. If you don't get any better offers, I'm sure I can find a friend or two down there, my dad worked in the Naval Base too. Don't have any rellies down there any more though.

Daniel

Daniel Report 2 Oct 2004 19:33

Thanks Mandy. Hope I'm not being too cheeky here. I had sent a letter to the muesum but have had no reply. There is a plaque of my g. grandfather hanging there. It includes his photo, a medal and a description of how he got the medal. What I am hoping for is if it is possible, is for someone to take a few photos of it or me.

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Oct 2004 19:36

Hi Dan, I do have my best friend from school still living in Plymouth, so I will ask her. However, she's not as efficient as me in replying so don't expect a prompt outcome lol! Give me all the details you have so that we can make sure she gets the right one as well. I don't think it's a cheeky request at all, but how mean of the Museum not to write back to you! I'm sure I should know this, but where is the museum? Did you write to them or the MOD?

Daniel

Daniel Report 2 Oct 2004 19:39

I wrote to: Gilroy House South Yard HM Naval Base, Devonport Plymouth, Devon, PL2 2BG United Kingdom His name is Robert Francis Longman, the plaque should make reference to HMS Royal Oak and Queen Maud of Norway. Thanks Alot. Appreciate your help.

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Oct 2004 19:48

Hmmmmm, blooming civil service, no wonder you didn't get a reply. They take three weeks to open the envelope. Will do my very best but you will have to be very patient lol!

Daniel

Daniel Report 2 Oct 2004 19:49

Thanks Mandy.

Carol

Carol Report 2 Oct 2004 20:03

Technically, I live in Plymouth. My flat is there, but I havent been there for weeks. I should be going down sometime next week, so I will pop in with the digi camera. Probably be best to ask first before I go snapping away. I worked at Devonport dockyard years ago for an agency, cleaning and loading navy ships.

Daniel

Daniel Report 2 Oct 2004 20:04

Thankyou very much Carol. I really do appreciate any help.

Lisa

Lisa Report 2 Oct 2004 20:06

been to plymouth when we stayed in moushole in cornwall.when to the big aquarium centrexxxxxxx(:

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Oct 2004 21:04

Just popped back to see who had added to this thread - Carol, that's kind (nice to meet another Plymouth girl!). Dan, I'll wait to see what Carol can get before I try contacting my friend. Mandy :)

Trish Devon

Trish Devon Report 2 Oct 2004 23:35

Hi Daniel, My s-i-l is in the navy,I will ask him to find out for you,although he is not based in the dockyard. I am a Plymothian,so had to add to this thread. Bare with me,it might take a awhile,but I will ask him tomorrow for you. Hi Mandy, Im back here at last, emailed you,hope you enjoyed the carnival. lots of love trish xxxx

Daniel

Daniel Report 3 Oct 2004 10:41

Thanks everyone.

Daniel

Daniel Report 13 Jan 2005 20:55

Just nudging this in case anyone is going in the near future.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Jan 2005 21:07

Oy oy Mandy - who's taking a knock at the Civil service?? Some of us were quite efficient! Lol!!! Ann Glos

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Jan 2005 21:10

I know Ann - I was one of them too!!! But so much red tape to cut through before you could do anything lol. Daniel, you still not got your picture? I will try and catch my friend sometime soon to see if she can help. When I didn't hear any more about it, I assumed Carol had done the photo. Mandy :)

Daniel

Daniel Report 13 Jan 2005 21:27

No still no luck. Just in case anyone was planning to go. Don't want anyone to go out of their way.

Joy

Joy Report 13 Jan 2005 21:28

Might be going to visit in a couple of weeks' time. Remind me in case I do. Joy

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Jan 2005 21:30

Just a thought Dan. i assume when youw rote to the museum you sent a stamped addressed envelope? Have you tried e mailing them again, maybe it didn't get to them. Ann glos

Daniel

Daniel Report 13 Jan 2005 21:31

Thanks Joy. Haven't got an email address. :-(