General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Your most favorite Book

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wayne the boy from OZ

Wayne the boy from OZ Report 12 Oct 2004 05:11

List here the best book you have ever read. Only 1 book allowed, it can be fact of fiction........ Wayne

Wayne the boy from OZ

Wayne the boy from OZ Report 12 Oct 2004 05:13

To start the ball rolling mine is "The Fountain Head" by Ayn Rand This was the book that took me from childhood reading to Adult reading when I was about 16. Wayne Lawrence

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 12 Oct 2004 06:48

Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert Heinlein. Required reading for we Flower Children! And still top of my list just ahead of Anna Karenina. Gwynne

Big

Big Report 12 Oct 2004 09:15

Gone with the wind

Steph

Steph Report 12 Oct 2004 09:18

Ghost story by Peter Straub, terrible film, chillingly brilliant book!

Theresa

Theresa Report 12 Oct 2004 09:36

My favourite book has to be Valley of the Horses by Jean Auel, i have to have read this book 10 times at least. Theresa

Mardi

Mardi Report 12 Oct 2004 09:36

I have read far too many books on far too many subjects to be able to name just one favourite. At the moment I am rereading The Potatoe Factory by Bryce Courtney and am enjoying it more than the first time. Kaye (Sydney)

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 12 Oct 2004 09:41

Mine is Animal Farm,i read it when i was about 13 and loved it. Dave,i'd forgotten all about Kane and Abel,i loved that as well. The Ring by Danille Steel,i've read it loads of times,so sad, Karen

Annie

Annie Report 12 Oct 2004 09:48

I read voraciously so this is very hard - after a long think, during which I discarded probably hundreds, it's got to be Winnie the Pooh! xx Annie

Maxine

Maxine Report 12 Oct 2004 09:51

On the Beach - Neville Shute. Woman In Black - Susan Hill. A good ghost story that I have read several times over the years. Maxine

Helen

Helen Report 12 Oct 2004 09:56

My favourite book that I first read was "The Lion, Witch and The Wardrobe. Author C. S. Lewis. This magical book of three children who discover the magical land, Narnia. Helen Beswick.

Ann

Ann Report 12 Oct 2004 09:59

All Quiet on the Western Front- so sad and harrowing in places, but you somehow can't put it down once you start to read- even when the tears start rolling!!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Oct 2004 10:32

It's impossible to choose just one. I would endorse many of the above-mentioned books, including All Quiet on the Western Front, which I am reading now. A good companion to that would be Vera Brittain's Testament of Youth, about the same war, but by a woman on the home front. I cried buckets. As it hasn't yet been mentioned, JANE EYRE. A very modern novel for its time, about an independent woman who finds love but on her terms, after a miserable childhood. nell

☼♥Missy

☼♥Missy Report 12 Oct 2004 11:02

A few of my favourites are Vanity Fair, Candide, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and the books by Paul Harding (aka Paul Doherty) with Brother Athelstan (The Sorrowful Mysteries etc). Lx ps I couldn't just choose one - sorry!

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 12 Oct 2004 13:58

The color Purple

Suzy

Suzy Report 12 Oct 2004 14:04

To Kill a Mockingbird Pride and Prejudice A Passage to India

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 12 Oct 2004 14:30

Elizabeth, haven't read the book but loved the film,Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise--need i say more, Karen

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 12 Oct 2004 15:04

The Eyre Affair - somebody Fforde.... absolutely brilliant piece of fiction.... ;O)

Bec

Bec Report 12 Oct 2004 15:21

Would have to be all of the Harry Potter books, they're brilliant. Or anything by Marian Keyes. Oh and Bridget Jones Diary and Pride & Prejudice And a book about hypnotherapy called 'The couple who became each other' Oh and so many more...

Anne

Anne Report 12 Oct 2004 16:22

I have loads of favourite books but the most recent is 'The Jester' by James Patterson, from my youth my favourite was 'A Stone for Danny Fisher' by Harold Robbins. Lynda