General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bill Oddie

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 12 Oct 2004 22:00

Enjoyed this first programme, how sad for Bill, thought he looked similar to Neil Oddie!. Very interesting in those mills!.

John

John Report 12 Oct 2004 22:00

A really good programme. I can't wait until next week!

Ann

Ann Report 12 Oct 2004 22:02

I thought his story was terribly sad, his poor mother, no wonder she had depression!! At least he found some answers. And yes, Neil Oddie looked very much like him!!!!

valinkent

valinkent Report 12 Oct 2004 22:06

Enjoyed the programme, but what a sad childhood Bill Ody had Can,t wait for next weeks . Val

R.B.

R.B. Report 12 Oct 2004 22:08

I enjoyed tonights`episode-felt for him. I cannot wait for next week.

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 12 Oct 2004 22:10

I thought it was really good but i must admit I thought they would say more about the tips on tracing your tree.

Margaret

Margaret Report 12 Oct 2004 22:13

Very good program enjoyed watching it ,felt sad about Bill Oddies mum having electrical shocks my mum had that done,also found it interesting that Bill Oddies grandmothers name was Emily Worrall that is my brother in laws surname Worrall and he was born in Lancaster oh now i wonder if!!!!! Margaret

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 12 Oct 2004 22:14

I guess that they considered the time available was not enough to give too many tips, they did point people at their website though - Good programme, it was interesting to see how Bill's grandfathers unusual name came down through the generations.

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 12 Oct 2004 22:23

wow we could have a bill oddie relative on our site!! LOL!! stranger things have happened sweetie!! :O)

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Oct 2004 22:26

I did think it was a bit slow getting started, I was expecting to see him getting frustrating whilst spending £££s on 1837 lol, but I did enjoy the programme very much. I'm taping the series to keep and looking forward to next week's. I was sad that he has only just found out what his mum went through after all these years, pity people were so secretive back then. Mandy :)

CATHKIN

CATHKIN Report 12 Oct 2004 22:26

Brilliant -but sad about his mother -I wonder if she had post natal depression-not really known about in those days. Rosalyn

Cougarjo

Cougarjo Report 12 Oct 2004 22:27

I've been looking forward to this series starting for ages now and am glad to say it didnt disappoint. I took can't wait for next week. I'm glad to see they have got a good cross section of celebrities taking part who will obviously have very differing family histories. Should be fascinating! Joanne oh, did you all know that there is a programme, Family Ties, on BBC4 right now. another family history programme with noncelebrities. Not sure if it's on every Tuesday at 10pm. Will have to check. - just checked and next week it's on at the later time of 11pm

Glenys the Menace!

Glenys the Menace! Report 12 Oct 2004 22:27

Really enjoyed it, despite the intense sadness surrounding Bill's sister's passing and the circumstances. After hearing about what happened there, I'm not surprised his poor mother became ill. Thanks, Bill - for sharing this with us. (Yeah, as if he'll read this!!) Glenys.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey Report 12 Oct 2004 22:28

Diana yes i do agree with you there about having more tips but..... its the bbc for you. Thought it was really good have too remember its on next week now

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 12 Oct 2004 22:43

I have been looking forward to the programme and really enjoyed it. I regret not being able to watch BBC 4, or "press the red button" for further information. That's where the research tips will be. I was fascinated by the mill. I had ancestors working in the cotton industry in the Manchester area in the late 19th century and in mills in Derbyshire. I know they must be noisy. I remember being taken to Courtaulds mill in Braintree when I was at school. The workers only worked for 15 minutes at a time, then had time outside to escape the noise. Rosemary(Essex)

squeekydeeky

squeekydeeky Report 12 Oct 2004 22:44

Went on to the interactive & a chap na,med Neil gave a basic chat on tips to get you started. That was followed by some video diaries of Joe Public doing some chats on their own reasons for doing their research. Wanted to go on to the Blue menu bit but managed to turn it off by mistake! Well worth watching.

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Oct 2004 22:52

Watched both programmes, very interesting stuff, I'm sure we can all relate, even if we don't all find out such dramatic information. Very sad what his mother went through, very poignant stuff.

June

June Report 12 Oct 2004 22:56

I thoroughly enjoyed it too. I switched over to BBC4 and watched that, I was really absorbed in that also, I will definitely watch next week. June

Scott

Scott Report 12 Oct 2004 23:02

i watched the programme but unfortunately a friend telephoned me during the show and i missed some of it. i heard them mention that bill managed to get medical records (i think) and that authorities do not like to hand these over. i think medical records could help me a great deal in my research, has anybody had any experience of gaining access to medical records from the past? how could i get to see medical records from the last century of my deceased relatives?

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 12 Oct 2004 23:09

Two fab shows tonight - so interesting that even hubby watched a bit and asked me questions about what he'd missed! Nearly fell off the sofa!!! I too thought that Bill and his 'cousin' just looked so related!! His poor mother though, to think what she must have gone through. The other programme was just as interesting - a man who didn't know his real identity as he was never formally adopted. A relative of his birth mother had kept his birth secret for over 50 years. He found his brother through the internet. Funnily enough, he had become a baptist minister, but discovered that he was actually Jewish!! Can't wait til next week already! Maz. XX