General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Most famous British man/woman in history?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

syljo

syljo Report 12 Oct 2004 22:00

Who would you credit to be the greatest British man in history. Sir Isaac Newton, Sir Winston Churchill, Lord Nelson, Florence Nightingale, Thomas Moore, or???????????? Sylvia xxx

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 12 Oct 2004 22:06

Think there are probably quite a few Sylvia, but always thought Isambard Kingdom Brunel, was high up on the list!.

valinkent

valinkent Report 12 Oct 2004 22:09

Emily Pankhurst has to be one of the most famous women in Britain . Val

syljo

syljo Report 12 Oct 2004 22:09

Yes, he designed some famous bridges didn't he? Sylvia xxx

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 12 Oct 2004 22:36

He did sweetie yes.... but most importantly he is responsible for the railway!! :O) PMSL!!

(eyes)

(eyes) Report 12 Oct 2004 22:52

Martin Luther King would be my choice.

Peterkinz

Peterkinz Report 12 Oct 2004 23:19

....except that Martin Luther King wasn't exactly British My vote goes to Henry VIII

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Oct 2004 23:20

Not to be awkward, but can we clarify the question - GREATEST or MOST FAMOUS

John

John Report 13 Oct 2004 00:12

Hi! It's gotta be William Harvey (Circulation of blood in the human body). Regards - John.

Pat

Pat Report 13 Oct 2004 02:42

Sylvia, There are so many, all for different reasons. eyes? wish Martin Luther King had been British he would get my vote. I think Charles Dickens is a very under mentioned Brit who helped to bring the plight of the hard working class in Victorian Britain to people's attention. Christine and John Brunel and Harvey high up there. But EMILY Pankurst why not a WOMAN when looking for our rellies its so much easier to find the Men and even on birth and marriage certs the fathers name is recorded not the women who gave them birth, pre 1910 the womens name is not on the register, so as VAL stated Emily and all the women who suffered for our Liberation deserve a mention. Pat x

Fairy

Fairy Report 13 Oct 2004 07:23

Michael Faraday who invented electricity. Otherwise we would'nt be doing this! Jo.

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 13 Oct 2004 07:48

Brunel didn't just design bridges. He made the first underground!! He also built some nice ships too! I thought George Stevenson was responsible for the railway?! Brunel did practically start Great Western Railway though!

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 13 Oct 2004 07:53

Emily Davison has to be one for me, in the suffragette movement that is. Who is she? She was only the woman who threw herself infront of the King's horse. We wouldn't be where we were if it wasn't for her giving up her life.

valinkent

valinkent Report 13 Oct 2004 11:20

Talking about William Harvey ,not only do we have a hospital named after him there is also a pub near me called William Harvey .The Statue is infact outside the William Harvey Hospital . Val

valinkent

valinkent Report 13 Oct 2004 12:30

Christina Yes William Harvey did originate from Folkstone but the hospital is in Ashford . Val

syljo

syljo Report 13 Oct 2004 15:32

I think the reason why Winston Churchill keeps coming up as most famous is because he is one of the most recent. We tend to forget!! We ought to have a vote for the most famous statesman/woman the most famous politician etc. This would narrow down the choice! Sylvia xxx

Daniel

Daniel Report 13 Oct 2004 16:55

I think Jesus is quiet well known where I live.

Lisa

Lisa Report 13 Oct 2004 16:55

sir winston churchillxxx(:

Lisa

Lisa Report 13 Oct 2004 16:56

also the man that invented penicillin.was he english?xxxx(:

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 13 Oct 2004 16:56

Gawd !.....I mean God....