General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Leaving lights on

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SueinKent

SueinKent Report 13 Oct 2004 18:36

Is is just my family that walk out of a room and leave the light on? it drives me crazy, with the nights drawing in I seem to spend all my time walking around the house turning lights off. Sue

N

N Report 13 Oct 2004 18:38

PMSL you sound just like my parents, LOL, they always say the same, or they say " its not dark enough to have the light on", LOL. it doesnt bother me, but putting the toilet paper the wrong way does, LOL. we all have our own things which bug us,LOL.

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 13 Oct 2004 18:41

Sue - classic example - last night my fella's boy turned off the light in their 2nd lounge, leaving the TV playing to itself because "Nan put it on not me"!!!!! I ask you LOL

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 13 Oct 2004 18:42

My husband was like that and so were his children... then hubby would moan about the electric bill.... used to irritate the life out of me that the porch light used to be left on 24/7... and then he would moan about having to change the bulbs so often!! :O) I am turning into my mother.... Aaarrrgggghhhh!! :o)

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Oct 2004 18:43

You should be friends with my hubby! I like all the lights on and he always says that it's like Blackpool Illuminations :)

Big Shaz

Big Shaz Report 13 Oct 2004 18:46

LOL Its like Blackpool illuminations in our house most of the time... doesnt bother me as lights dont actually take that much electricity and its Barry that spends most time moaning about it! I do get wound up with my lot going out and leaving their TV's on though and also one of my daughters is always leaving her bloody hair straighteners plugged in!! Shaz xx

Angela

Angela Report 13 Oct 2004 18:54

I use low power light bulbs and switch everything electric off as soon as it's finished with because I'm ecological and don't think I have any right to use up more of the world's resources than I have to. But I get absolutely maddened when my children insist on leaving the bathroom light (and attached fan) on whenever they go to the loo. It is going to lead to murder in our house one day! Angela

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust***

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust*** Report 13 Oct 2004 19:23

you would hate my house then, i hate sleeping with no light on , at the weekend hubby turned light out and then my son took the mick out of me by giving me a torch!

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Oct 2004 19:30

Nice to meet you Julie, I can't sleep with the light off either! We have a 'nursery' bulb in our landing light for me lol!! Mandy :)

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 13 Oct 2004 19:34

It is bliss to have a new light fitting in the kitchen, so I don't have to stand on a chair to twiddle the starter each time I want the light on. Now the light has blown in the loo and the fitting is too high for me to reach. Waiting for a kind brother to oblige. Lights are the bane of my life. Tend to keep the landing light on as there are no switches by doors or top of stairs and I would prefer to waste a little energy rather than land my elderly mother in casualty. I do switch television/computers off, though. We were told at work not to bother, as the switches might wear out! Brenda

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 13 Oct 2004 19:51

You sound like my dad too!! Grrr! Even when I've only left my room for 5 seconds, he'll turn anything that's using electricity in there off!! Grrrr! I'm paying housekeeping!! LOL

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust***

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust*** Report 13 Oct 2004 19:59

i have been known to fall asleep with my bedroom light on reading and wake up in the early hours about 4ish to turn it off. hubby will moan when hes home at weekends to turn lights out if your not in the room the light youve left on, and if i walk in from the kitchen with a cuppa and sit down he says 'lights' or if it gets cloudy and i put a light on in the kitchen he walks thrugh and turns it off, that makes me soooooo mad. im getting mad just talking bout it

Lisa

Lisa Report 13 Oct 2004 20:03

costs a fortune in electricity bills!!!xxxx(:

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 13 Oct 2004 20:03

Lights do use electricity!! One 100watt bulb on all the time will add about £10 a quarter (100*24*90)/ 1000 at 5p per KW Thats just one bulb!! Turn them off. Open the curtains ! If you are using energy saving bulbs for envionmental reasons think about the plastic and metal in the base and how you dispose of them! Bob

SueinKent

SueinKent Report 13 Oct 2004 20:03

You sound like my daughter Chloe, when I tell her to turn a light off she says "but I pay housekeeping", I don't know what you pay, but what she pays doesn't keep her in light bulbs lol.

Geoff

Geoff Report 13 Oct 2004 20:17

Remember that energy "wasted" with traditional light bulbs is just a contribution to heating your home (in winter anyway). It is not as wasteful as the propaganda tells you.

Geoff

Geoff Report 13 Oct 2004 20:20

My auntie (who died recently) had had the same bulb in her lav for well over 40yrs. Fifteen watts (that's low energy!) - it was a job to find the toilet roll.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 13 Oct 2004 20:56

Sue I must be saving KCC a bit of money too. I went to a school today and whilst there turned off lights in empty classrooms. Nobody was going in there for another hour. Ok it probably didn't save much money but multiplied by the number of rooms over a year it must mount up.

SueinKent

SueinKent Report 13 Oct 2004 21:12

Totally agree Gwyneth, mulitply that by the number of schools in the KCC area, the mind boggles at the amount of money being wasted.

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Oct 2004 21:32

Sue Every night before I go to bed I patrol the house turning things off. Not just lights, but tv, playstation, radios etc. Usually I'm the last on the computer, so I turn that off too. I do leave a light on at night, on the landing, partly so the boys will sleep without a light in their bedroom, but also in case there's a fire/emergency. In these dark mornings its quite welcoming. My husband and sons have been known to leave the house with the tv on, when I've been upstairs.