General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

American elections

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andy

Andy Report 4 Nov 2004 20:20

Is everyone here happy to see that corporate puppet Bush reelected to lead the most powerful nation in the world? Now which way will he turn, will he pander to the evangelists of middle America with their religious mania? (Which is of course as big a danger as Islamic extremism). Or will he understand that a number of people who may have voted for him are probably Democrats who could not bring themselves to vote for grey man Kerry, but who hope he may swing to the middle.

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Nov 2004 20:22

They're all as bad as each other. But there's some truth in the statement "better the devil you know".

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Nov 2004 20:24

ps, can't ever recall hearing about any major terrorist atrocities perpetrated by american evangelists

Ann

Ann Report 4 Nov 2004 20:29

I don't personally like Bush and was disappointed to see him re-elected, but it really does not have anything to do with us as the American people have voted in their election- that is their perogative.

Andy

Andy Report 4 Nov 2004 20:32

No I'm not happy, who could be happy with a politician who feels that he needs to cheat by going on to a TV debate wired so that he can accept replies from someone offstage? And if anyone thinks the world is a safer place because of George Bush's attacks on the Arab world they are some sort of fool. But conversely I don't think that Kerry could have pulled the fat out of the fire. I think he is too weak, and George Bush too stupid.

Andy

Andy Report 4 Nov 2004 20:34

Now Paul. Do you not think that George Bush is a Christian evangelist and that the attacks which have killed tens of thousands of Iraqis are a terrorist atrocity?

Andy

Andy Report 4 Nov 2004 20:36

Well, I'm very sorry to say I don't think there is a way forward. I think the Genie is well and truly out of the bottle! So Bendy, where do you think we go from here, Osama Bin Laden is still alive, half the Muslim population of Britain alienated, what is your solution?

syljo

syljo Report 4 Nov 2004 20:36

Hi Ann, Yes, I agree with you, I don't like Bush either, but cannot think of anyone better at the moment. For all his faults, Bill Clinton at least could make a speech. One thinks of America as being so modern, but the way the election voting was counted was like a third world country. Even in a small country like the Netherlands we have a more modern voting system. Sylvia xxx

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Nov 2004 20:39

Andy, no I don't, but I'm not going to go through the whole debate on the rights and wrongs of the war again, it's been done to death alrealy, Suffice it to say I was in america (and know people that worked in them) when the towers were attacked so I understand the reaction.

Andy

Andy Report 4 Nov 2004 20:39

Bendy. Are you saying that you are happy for innocent Arabs to die?

Andy

Andy Report 4 Nov 2004 20:42

The Guardian says 15,000 civilians dead, Bendy, that ignores the combatants!

Andy

Andy Report 4 Nov 2004 20:45

I'm sorry Bendy, but for you to say you don't have a problem with world politics and the consequences of the American elections sound rather dismissive! An a little narrow minded!

Sand

Sand Report 4 Nov 2004 20:46

I agree with Sylvia. I do believe that Bush actually won this election--though he didn't win it last time. However, the behaviour of the Republicans has been appalling--again! It is widely reported that Republicans desperately tried to stop people casting votes by reducing the number of voting booths, causing huge queues, and by harrassing voters inside voting stations. This is the sort of thing that goes on in a third world state, not the supposed Free World. I was interested to learn that the former President Jimmy Carter now works around the world supervising elections in newly democratic countries--perhaps he should have overseen the election for his own country's leader?

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Nov 2004 20:49

OK, changing tack, Andy are you happy with the fact that thousands died in the world trade centre when it was attacked, in an unprovoken manner ?

Andy

Andy Report 4 Nov 2004 20:50

Fair enough Folks, all is well in the Western World, we shall all sleep soundly in our beds tonight knowing that anything we don't want to hear of can be dismissed as media lies. I am now off to walk my wife back from teaching at our local college so it' goodbye from me!

Andy

Andy Report 4 Nov 2004 20:53

Sorry Paul, I must go but I can't resist that. I have argued as vehemently with Muslims I work with about the wrongs of sept 11 as I do against Bushes foolishness. Both parties are wrong!

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 4 Nov 2004 20:55

According to one paper in Florida, Bush won there on 'family, faith and moral values' as well, of course, as the war and terrorism issues. What I find repugnant is that he can get on his moral high horse about family values, gay clergy, abortion etc. and not question the morals of making war or locking up people because they 'might be terrorists'. Sorry, rant over, in that sort of mood tonight!

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Nov 2004 20:57

Well I will say a couple more things, even though I told myself I wouldn't get involved initially (but can't help myself). I do agree that there is no right in this situation - and two wrongs do not make a right. However the difference is, the attacks on America were pure terrorism. The deaths in Iraq are as a result of war, and war always has casualties. Whether that war was justified is a whole other arguement. I do agree however that Bush comes across as a bumbling fool ps... please do not belittle peoples opinions or their right to not have one, just because you feel that you're right

BarneyKent

BarneyKent Report 5 Nov 2004 13:29

I for one am glad that the USA has given Bush a second term, we need a firm hand. Appeasement does not work with bullies and terrorists are bullies. The only thing they understand is a force stronger than their own, they regard friendliness as a sign of weakness and if you treat them softly they think that you are weak. Sorry if I offend the religious, but the meek do not inherit the earth, they get their noses rubbed in it. You have to give bullies more of what they give you. Go to it George, kick a**e.

Bec

Bec Report 5 Nov 2004 14:40

Just out of interest has anyone here seen Michael Moore's 'Fahrenheit 9/11'? becx